Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Your Part: Become a Polls Worker at your Next Election!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Your Part: Become a Polls Worker at your Next Election!!!

Here I go again....Recently I got a bill from the local utilities co., & inside was a slip of paper, stating something like help with the next election. So, I applied. Then went to a "training" at the Board of Elections. I was fairly sure I would NOT be capable of doing this, after taking the training. I have to admit, I was scared.

I was not called to participate in the elections, however, got a phonecall from someone called Betty, who said "You're a back-up worker." I kept on wishing they would not call me to work. But, I got another call from Betty, who said I was needed to work. There's a long story here, involving my setting two alarms (to wake up), & going late one night to get gas for my car, as wasn't sure what I had was enough.

So, I went to aid in setting up the machines etc., the Monday night before. That wasn't too bad. Then the next AM, I'd NOT wakened at 4:00 AM, as had planned! Jumped into clothes, think I did clean teeth, fed my 2 kitties quickly, & out the door, into the blackness of very early morn. Did not eat any breakfast either. Ok, upon arrival, found a huge table at end of the gym, loaded with muffins, juice, coffee, etc., etc. Gobbled muffin & drank coffee. We began the voting process at 5:30 AM. Few people came in. Worked with others on upping my knowledge of the check-in process, & also greeted our flow of voters with stickers upon their having completed their votes. It's all electronic here, with voting machines that kind of look like "triffids' with screens, & long legs. Over the whole process, I became a "check-in judge". We were there for 15 hours! So, here's a vote for all of us to become a poll worker, & by the way, I will get paid by end of this month. :shamrock::redrose: Joan PS: One can do what one sets for self.

Re: Do Your Part: Become a Polls Worker at your Next Election!!!

Good on you... did they feed you anything other than breakfast?

Alastair

Comment

Much later from above.....I did not continue to work for the election again. I was told that I would again have to take the same training over, so as to be eligible to work again.....and I decided that all that training plus the 15 hours working was a bit too much. Now am a "little old lady", & although parts of the above I enjoyed, felt it was too long to be working, from 4 AM, till past 10 something at night. Did get paid, but this was all a bit too much altogether!!! Joan

Comment

Quite understand and of course walking the street as it were can also be dangerous these days.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X