Poorhouses and Workhouses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorhouses and Workhouses.

Not all of our ancestors were well off, indeed most were probably quite poor, either as industrial labourers or agricultural labourers.

I've encountered one or two paupers in my own tree, both in Scotland and England,one or two departing their life in them, and another one born in one (although at times a birth occurred because of the medical facility available).

In fact, one of my great grandmothers was born in one in London, (Hackney, Middlesex) then when she came to Australia in the 1880's with three of her six children she spent some time in one in Sydney.

Here is her first letter back to her husband in England.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

August 22nd 1883

My Dear Husband

I arrived in Melbourne on the 10th of July but no letter or anybody was sent to meet me some had letters, addressed Eaton Hall on arrival others telegrams and some friends to meet them, but I had neither, and all the money I had was the 1 shilling you gave me, when you left the vessel and, 13 shillings bonus from the Company for being kept, from the Seventh till the 13 of April so I did not know what to do thought Mother must be ill or dead as she did not write or come, so I went to the Captain and explained matters to him and, he headed a Subscription for me among the passenger, got 22 shillings Mr Virgoe the Steamers agent, took me and the Children to Sydney for a fare and half being 37/6d but he made it up out his own pocket and gave me 5 shillings besides for myself, getting the Captain to give me the trip to Newcastle for nothing, the journey from Melbourne to Sydney takes 48 hours, sent a telegram to Mother from Sydney for 1 shilling 12 words with addresses free telling her I should be there by next morning 7 oclock but I never see her, or had an answer so paid 1-6d to go to Wallsend by bus found out where Dronsfield lived through him belonging to the Miners (?) Union he was at work but Froomes next door told me that Mother was in Wickham, so went there and found her, they was very distant and told

Me that I ought to have left the baby as it was I should have to look after a room for she could not accodate me saying she had no money to give me, and she would not nominate the others. Went about all day carrying baby Saturday and Monday could have got a days work washing but she would not let me leave the baby, so took Harriet with me to nurse it when I got there they would not let me stop with the baby, went to the only boot factory in the place, he would have given me work if had not the baby under the circumstances he advised me to go to Sydney and apply to a society there at night I asked Mother for 5 shillings to take me to Sydney she said she could not see what I could do there, without I went to the destitute Asylum so she see me off on Friday night offered to take Harriet, but I would not leave her. so I was just one week in Newcastle, and never wish to go back again, went to see my luggage was safe and the Stevedore offered me a home till I heard about something went to the Dean of Sydney Cathedral asked his advice and he gave me a letter of Recommendation to take before the Committee on Tuesday they admitted me and the Children in, and we are living there now, have lost my baby, he died on the 8th of August and was buried on the 12th, if he had lived till 20th, he would have been 1 year and 5 months old you hit him on the head nex morning he was very ill in Grandmother’s room, I went to Dr Barnes in the Evening he told me that he had got a blow and I was to be careful of him, for it might cause disease of the brain, I took great care of him, but he seemed restless on the Voyage at night time but I thought it was his teeth he cut all his teeth with dirraharea since on the 3rd of August he vomited and would not take the breast could not keep anything but weak brandy and watersat up three whole nights with him but it turned inward Convulsions and he died very hard from congestion of the brain they say

He could not have been well when I started the Voyage, and the change of climate did not do him any good, he lays in Aslam Creek Cemetry Church of England ground Rookwood they kindly gave me a pass by railway to see him buried a very good job I was in a place where I could have medical advice he was very patient through it all nobody but himself knew what he suffered, but after all it is best for him to die young there is more hope of him going to the right place. he is, not lost but gone before. I feel it very hard for he could just toddle about nicely, Hannah Maria as got the mumps hope she will get better soon Harriet is quite well excepting a cold, don’t know what I should do if anything happens to either of them i feel miserable as it is we are all in different wards but can see each other now and then part of the Voyage was very rough the waves rushed over and knocked a sailor down and broke his leg if you could get the Melbourne Age of 18th of July you would see the account of the Voyage in it, we were all very sick but got better after we passed the bay of Biscay but you go through such a many changes that it’s very trying to the Constitution. do write back and let me know how you and the Children are getting on and whether you intend coming or not im always thinking about the Children hope you keep them to School and do your duty by them then if anything happens to them you have nothing to regret about Annie could work with me or get 6 shillings a week as Nurse girl Sydney is a fine place, we see old Exhibition from the windows. George Street has got fine buildings not unlike Oxford Street, house rent is dear but plenty of work for labourers and carpenters from 10 to 14 shillings a day, but you ought to bring all the recommendations you can with you and money for clothes are very cheap here, get me a copy of our Marriage lines from Leytonstone it would cost about 2/6 and send it me for I don’t want the children to be thought illegitimate i cant show them for i have not got them with me it was 12th of April 1868 don’t forget send me an answer and kiss the Children for me perhaps I shall never see the Goodbye to you all the manager will pay postage for me address the letter Mrs Beckwith Benevolent society Pitt Street Sydney N S Wales it will be best to register the letter then it will come safe anxiously waiting an answer Goodbye all remember me kindly to anyone who enquires for me how I am getting on
    we have the steam Tramways here same as America to different places a Railway Station and the Old Exhibition in front of us, we can see the people going in and out of the Station so we are not very dull there is plenty of work for you to do here if you only wish to come if you went to Emigration office and told them you would like to work your passage over and pay for the Children you could come cheap for Annie Louisa could come free if you came with her there is plenty they could find for you to do besides Carpentering if you do come bring plenty of cheese and bacon it will keep and you will get tired of salt meet also Sherbert to drink with the water in hot weather, have not tasted cheese or bacon since I left England, the baby could get up the stairs before I left the Ship and chat away so nicely I used to say he was too knowing to live but, I trust he has gone to a better land, and that we shall be as fit to die as he was, be sure to answer this and bid Grandmother goodbye I wonder how she is getting on

From your affectionate wife and Mother HLAB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the web sites

The Workhouse

The Workhouse often evokes the grim Victorian world of Oliver Twist, but its story is a fascinating mix of social history, politics, economics and architecture.
    This site, www.workhouses.org.uk, is dedicated to the workhouse — its buildings, inmates, staff and administrators, even its poets...

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

The site covers both England and Scotland and has a wealth of material and links.

NOTE In Scotland the general term used was "Poorhouse"

Re: Poorhouses and Workhouses.

This is a great story! I guess our West Virginia Highlanders were lucky. There was never any stories about poor houses. I do know Ann Howell who had Jeremiah was actually a store clerk and fell pregnant by the store owner, Jeremiah Bell. Jeremiah Bell was killed in an indian raid. Ann had Jeremiah Bell Howell who was a base-born child and was on the poor list of the Sheriff of the county. This would have been 1780s.
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I'm going to paste another letter (or part thereof) of the one above as an illustration of how difficult life could be like when a person had to turn to charity in those days......................all the letters have been hand copied from the originals held in England by a cousin who discovered us after many years searching.....grammar and spelling have not been corrected..........................subsequent to this my cousin (Wendy) out here..[the research guru] discovered that original letters by Hannah's brother John Chilman were held in the Mitchell Library in Sydney, she spent a few busy days day there hand transcribing them all.a lucky find indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Hannah...............

November 29 1883
      190 George Street

My Dear Harry and Children

Have had a great deal of trouble since I arrived lost my darling boy little Hannah Maria is in the Benevolent Asylum now, she has been ill ever since I lost poor baby she went with me and Harriet to see that he was buried in Rookwood Cemetry Aslam Creek the same week we was all parted into different wards H M to No 8. Harriet into No 9 and I went into No 10 Married womens ward the most disagreeable ward in the place. we all fretted about being parted I had work in the laundry so that took it off a little and I could see the children in different Paddocks and they both cried when they see me either taking down or putting up the clothes when we was all together Harriet see after baby and Hannah Maria and they both came and looked at me now and then baby could walk about nicely between Harriet and Hannah Maria calling Mother so pretty I shall never forget him nor want any more children I don’t believe I shall ever get over it was waiting till he could run about alone the gentlemen would have helped me on for they all felt for me very likely had been nurse now which I should not mind for we should be altogether then, and we are not now Hannah Maria fretted so much about me and baby that she could not eat got so ill that the doctor had to see her every day till about a week ago she is in the Convalescent ward now but so thin she is not like the same child, only when she speaks she told Harrietthe last time we went to see her that she must try and find those men and kill them what put our Alfred Isaac into a great big hole and then put boards over him she says to the other women about their babys that they arnt so nice as her baby was, she wants me to take her and let her se him where he is buried, the doctor took a great liking to her and she had to have a warm bath night and morning to keep her from having fits he says she is a very delicate Child and will require great care to get sound, but the Matron will see after her I have to tell her Im going to fetch her clothes and she sits on the bed and starts crying when I come away poor dear fancy the poor dear being ill since the 17th of September till now she was such a fine Child could walk on the deck along with the sailors, when it was all they could do to keep on their feet she was a great pet with them all

Mrs Ross the laundry maid said I should do fine at the laundry so I went and got work being 15 shillings a week but they raised me to 18 shillings but I only had one full week one Friday morning I went there was no work so I went to a shop and asked if they had a paper for I should very much like to see one he gave me one to look at and a nice breakfast and he told me he came from Braintree in Essex his name is Issac Laver and he says you must know the name he advised me to go where I am now after the Housemaids place for anybody with a boarding house would be glad to get one like me, because the young women here drink very hard and I know it’s a fact for Ive seen plenty of drunken women and girls going to my work in a morning. I referred them to the Matron for a reference and as it happened they knew her as a friend from Childhood having come from the same place she said all that she could in my behalf, and I started working at once went home at night put my little things together and went for good at 8 oclock next morning, the son taking the cart with Harriet to show him the way to fetch the things they have agreed to give me 10 shillings a week and keep Harriet in return for her working about little jobs so that is good because Ive got he with me you must not think it’s a very easy place there is no rest from morning till night only we are together and when I worked at the Laundry it was from 20 minutes to eight in the morning till 6 oclock at night having three quarters of an hour for dinner if there is work on Saturday you don’t have a full days pay without you work to 6 oclock at night then you have to wait till your turn comes and it makes it late and one so tired to do anything with pleasure, the Matron says, it’s a very hard place for me but it will do for a while, while i save a little money togetherto fly to whenIm without, shall have Hannah Maria out as soon as I can choose what comes

Comment

It's amazing how tough life was in those days and also remarkable how so many managed to survive through sheer grit and determination. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Comment

Working...
        X