Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockerbie and the USA

02/08/2010

First Minister Alex Salmond has today replied to the letter from Senator Menendez of July 29.

This follows the First Minister's previous letter to Senator Menendez on July 26, which answered five detailed questions from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and also provided copies of documents.

The First Minister has also previously written to Senator John Kerry on July 21, providing comprehensive information and assistance ahead of the planned hearing which was later postponed. Senator Kerry described this correspondence as "thoughtful and thorough".

View all information and documents relating to the Lockerbie case
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Ju...egal/lockerbie

The letter is copied below:

Dear Senator Menendez

Thank you for your letter of 29 July.

I have made clear in my letters to you and to Senator Kerry that the Scottish Government's decision to decline your previous invitation for the Cabinet Secretary for Justice and Dr Fraser to attend a hearing in the US was based on principle rather than on any issue of practicality.

The most appropriate way for us to assist the Foreign Relations Committee is to provide a statement of the position of the Scottish Government, as I have done, and to answer any questions that the Committee may have in writing, as we have also done.

Scottish Ministers and public officials are properly accountable to the Scottish Parliament and not to other legislatures. It is difficult to envisage circumstances in which serving members of the US Government would agree to appear as witnesses in hearings or inquiries held by the legislature of another country, and there are many high-profile and indeed current examples of the US Government declining such invitations.

Your letter again seeks to link BP with the decision made by the Scottish Government to grant Mr Al-Megrahi compassionate release. No-one has produced any evidence of such a link because there is none. We have said repeatedly that there has never, at any point, been any contact between BP and the Scottish Government in relation to Al-Megrahi. The statements we have made on this issue are entirely clear and consistent.

It was with concern that I watched you attempt to insinuate such a link on BBC Newsnight on 30th July by citing a letter from Conservative Party peer Lord Trefgarne, the chair of the Libyan British Business Council, to Justice Secretary MacAskill last year. This was one of approximately one thousand representations received by the Scottish Government last year, including many from the USA. You have this letter because the Scottish Government published this last year as part of our comprehensive issue of documentation related to the decision. That being the case, you must also have seen the reply from Mr MacAskill, also published, which stated that his decisions would be "based on judicial grounds alone and economic and political considerations have no part in the process". In order to avoid any suggestion of misrepresentation, I trust that you will include that fact in future references.

BP's admitted lobbying on this issue referred to the Prisoner Transfer Agreement (PTA) and with the UK Government. As you must by now be aware, the Scottish Government opposed this agreement from its inception, a position that we have maintained publicly and privately since. Indeed, I revealed the existence of the proposed PTA to the Scottish Parliament in a statement on 7 June 2007. It is perhaps to be regretted that our warnings about the circumstances in which this agreement came into being found no response at that time from the UK Government, the then opposition in the UK Parliament, or indeed from the United States Senate.

Finally, you and some of your Senatorial colleagues, have suggested that the Scottish Government have sought to pass responsibility to others for the release of Al-Megrahi. That is simply not the case. Secretary MacAskill took the decision following the precepts and due process of Scots law and jurisdiction - the same jurisdiction which over a period of some 20 years led Scotland to play the leading role in investigating, trying, convicting and incarcerating Al-Megrahi. We do not resile from our responsibility in making that decision.

The point we make is a different but a quite simple one. Please do not ascribe to the Scottish Government economic or commercial motives for this decision when there is no evidence whatsoever for such a claim.

If you wish to investigate commercial or indeed other motivations surrounding this case, then call the former UK Ministers and Prime Ministers who were involved in proposing, negotiating and then signing the PTA and, of course, where there is a public record of admission that business and trade, along with other issues, were factors. In this light your decision not to proceed with the draft invitation to offer evidence to former Prime Minister Blair, who actually signed the proposed PTA in May 2007, seems puzzling.

These people, of course, may have had, and indeed in some cases have conceded, motivations other than justice considerations. However, they did not take the decision on Mr Megrahi.

I am copying this letter to Senator Kerry.

ALEX SALMOND

Re: Lockerbie and the USA

I think Senator Menendez will have to look elsewhere for assistance with his witchhunt against BP, The Scottish Government are answerable to the SCottish people and no one else. I personally dont agree with Al-Megrahi's release but the SNP are a liberal party and I accept that their reason for releasing him were honourable if a little misguided. That said though if it had gone to appeal I suspect the Conviction would have been deemed unsafe and he would have been released anyway, the main witness admitted he saw Al-megrahi's picture in a magazine as a suspect before he picked him out as the guy he sold the goods to that the bomb was wrapped in.

Comment

Ouch, I read witch hunt and BNP and have to wonder. We forget, terrorists are not human beings but Beings without conscience. Any race, religion or government who allows innocent children to be killed in their Holy War Syndrome, should all be taken out to the dessert and left without water or covering! Therefore Polstar, I think Al-Magrahi should have died in prison.
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Come now kelly I thought we had left the dark ages of guilt being decided by rumours, in a modern democracy guilt must be proven with evidence. The main evidence in prosecuting Al-Megrahi was a witness identification but by the witnesses own admission his evidence was tainted, he had seen a photo of Al-megrahi in a magazine as the main suspect in the period between the bombing and his identification of Al-megrahi.

Imagine a police officer here in the UK showing a witness a photo of the suspect they had arrested and then using the result of the lineup as the main evidence in the prosectuion, I cant think of a court anywhere that would allow such evidence to be used.

I think we have to accept that sometimes how ever sure we are of someones guilt, they have been clever enough not to leave enough evidence that we can successfully prosecute them.

Comment

Indeed we have left the dark ages but the man was found guilty as a conspirator by the Scottish Government. Rape cases are only cleared after substantial DNA is produced to clear the one incarcerated. Was this the case of Al-megrahi? Had he been officially proved innocent by the Scottish Government?

This mornings Daily Mail says the doctors claim Al-megrahi may live until 2017. I must say, the Scottish Government is truly more generous than other Anti-Terrorist governments. I could not be so generous if a person is found guilty and not had it over-turned.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
            Indeed we have left the dark ages but the man was found guilty as a conspirator by the Scottish Government. Rape cases are only cleared after substantial DNA is produced to clear the one incarcerated. Was this the case of Al-megrahi? Had he been officially proved innocent by the Scottish Government?

This mornings Daily Mail says the doctors claim Al-megrahi may live until 2017. I must say, the Scottish Government is truly more generous than other Anti-Terrorist governments. I could not be so generous if a person is found guilty and not had it over-turned.
            Kelly, the man was convicted by a court of law, held in the Netherlands. Scots Law permits the release from prison on compassionate grounds.
            The government was acting on advice from "experts" and the decision was based on those recommendations.
            If other states do not have such humane laws it is not for them to deride us.

All that said, there does appear to be some strange goings on in this whole affair. BUT we are NOT answerable to the USofA and it is insulting of those there who believe that they and only they are the arbiters of "fairness and law".
            Sandy

Comment

Sandy,

I am not thinking US of A here, I am thinking Terrorism. All of our countries face terrorism each and every day. When we send a message we release because we are compassionate, each terrorist we release will leave Highly educated on our law enforcement system. Another way of infiltration without others realizing what is happening. How much information did this man take back to share with others who would pay a pretty penny for such information?

I am not intending to be insulting, only factual.

Comment

I think it is about time that the little demi-gods in the US Senate tended to the muddy waters within their own national boundaries rather than trying to 'strong arm' the internal government policies of other countries and lead them (poorly) into virtually unwinnable conflicts with the resultant catastophic "Killed in Action"/wounded in action" casualty rate.not to mention the countless thousands traumatised by their combat experiences (which also impinges on their families).

I agree that there are some slighly strange circumstances surrounding the affair, but what is done is done..but the final decision was made according to all legal requirements by a proud and independent nation whose people have "Paid their dues" over countless generations and who are in no way accountable to a "Foreign Power"

Comment

I like the term demi-gods. What everyone forgets, 67% of Americans are of Scottish ancestry. David Hume's beliefs did not follow the planters sorry.

Comment

Kelly,
                    I agree that there is a real threat from terrorism. If we believe that we have the only "system" of government and religion and that is what everyone else should follow we ourselves can be regarded as terrorists...
                    I am not condoning the acts that have been carried out against innocent people in our society but "our" responses are also killing innocent people.
                    Compassion is a sign of an advanced culture in my opinion.
                    As Gordon states, stop attempting to interfere with another country's laws and beliefs and a lot of what is happening will stop (I don't mean you stating your opinion).
                    William Wallace was a terrorist in many of his peers eyes...

All governments make decisions that can be unpopular. That's why get the chance to vote them out.
                    If enough Scottish people make it clear to their MSP's that they do not to have the "compassion" option in our laws then perhaps it will be removed.
                    The interference by the US administration is what gets up my nose. And it was not only US citizens who died at Lockerbie.

Sandy

Comment

But it is for us to prove he is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt not for him to prove he is innocent. Al Megrahi dropped his appeal to be allowed to go home and die but hopefully there will be some kind of independent inquiry and by that I dont mean the whitewash proposed by US senators with an agenda, i mean an honest and open Inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
                        Sandy,

I am not thinking US of A here, I am thinking Terrorism. All of our countries face terrorism each and every day. When we send a message we release because we are compassionate, each terrorist we release will leave Highly educated on our law enforcement system. Another way of infiltration without others realizing what is happening. How much information did this man take back to share with others who would pay a pretty penny for such information?

I am not intending to be insulting, only factual.
                        What could he take back that they couldnt find on the internet or in a public library, our laws and legal system are not secret and hidden they are open for scrutiny and challenge.
                        Last edited by Polstar; 21 August 2010, 07:54. Reason: Spellin

Comment

Sandy,

I agree compassion is a sign of advanced societies. We can all state our obvious reasons to be set against the USA. History proves, every great Empire tries to police the world.

When I speak of security in law enforcement, I mean prison connections only a prisoner or warden would have access to. The people who initiate terrorism are normally extremely intelligent. They look for any unsuspecting gaps there might be in any system. Man is imperfect therefore our Governments are imperfect.

As far as interpretation of the law, it is given to the magistrates or judicial who give their own opinion of a said law. The law is not in question but the reasoning behind releasing a man who had not been proved innocent and was released on a very poor judgment based on one out of three doctors opinions. Yes, something is fishy and this does need to have a full inquiry from an outside unbiased organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Polstar View Post
                            What could he take back that they couldnt find on the internet or in a public library, our laws and legal system are not secret and hidden they are open for scrutiny and challenge.
                            I have to wonder if the People he killed in Lockerbie and the USA were not worth of living.

A good number of the People came from the New York & New Jersey .

http://www.victimsofpanamflight103.org/
                            Marie

Comment

11 on the ground in Lockerbie, Scotland
                              I never realized this many on the ground lost their lives as well. Thank you Marie.

Comment

Working...
                              X