New hosting service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hosting service

Just to say that I've now moved all our sites to the new hosting service in Vancouver. In the process I've added a SSL certificate to electricscotland.com and electriccanadian.com so when you visit these sites you should see a "secure" listing before the url and a padlock icon.

As you can also see this community is back and seems to be working fine. I'm now trying to get the Arcade working again.

There are still a few issues like getting the postcard program working again, the help system working and also the recipe database working.

All in all things are looking good and it seems to me the sites are loading faster than they did.

I also have to get the Printer Friendly script working but that might take a week or two as their programming staff are rather busy at the moment.

Please feel free to tell if you experience any problems.

Alastair

Re: New hosting service

Just to add that I now have everything working. The Help system is now back, the Postcard program is working and the Arcade system in this community is also working.

There are a couple of issues which I can't find a workaround for and that is mostly to do with the games. Like my Cabre Toss and Curling programs don't work due to them being written for an old version of Java. Also while you can play "Dress the Chief" and the JigSaw puzzles Google does require you to enable these options while cautioning you about security issues. I have played both and can't see any issue myself.

I did email the Jigzone folk about the Jigsaw puzzles but they never got back to me.

Also I had to delete the Gallery in here but have re-enabled it so you can now upload pictures.

I didn't bring back the recipe program as I decided it was too old and frankly there are plenty of recipe sites out there. I have however added an old recipe book "The Best Way" to our food and drink page.

I have just watched a video of a chap building a log cabin in Northern Ontario which you might be interested in and you can view that at: https://bit.ly/2LttALh where you get a full playlist of the sequence of videos that make up the build.

Alastair

Comment

Al, if the games use Adobe Flash then it is well known to have security issues and in fact Adobe will be removing support for it in the not too distant future.
      Sandy

Comment

I don't know why they don't just fix the issues instead of allowing programs to be broken.

Ah well enjoy them while you can I guess.

Alastair

Comment

There have been so many security issues that it is just not worth maintaining the product.
          I forget what the options are but I know that some browsers have built in alternative platforms.

Comment

Google do things differently from other browsers Sandy so where I have an issue I usually will try IE.

Alastair

Comment

I only use Chrome and so far no there problems. I forget what the browser in Windows 10 is called (the IE replacement) but I have not tried it yet (this laptop has Windows 7 still).

Sandy

Comment

I'm still using Windows 7 myself. Although I did hear somewhere that it was coming to the end of life. My problem ios that 2 programs I use daily don't work under Windows 10.

Alastair

Comment

I think support will end next year, so perhaps you need to start looking at what you are using...
                  Sandy

Comment

I still use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures as it's really easy and quick to use. When Corel bought it they immediately changed it so it made it much harder to find a picture and edit it. So I've just stuck with the pre Corel edition.

Alastair

Comment

I use Windows 7 Professional, I also have Chrome onboard if I want to use 2 screens at the one time.......{for search/paste purposes]........only reason I have all this is because it is an older computer from my daughter's collection {I don't mind "hand-me-downs" they are very cheap :angelic:

Comment

Well my computer is now 6 years old and out of warranty so I'm just keeping it going until it packs up and then will buy another one.

I usually buy the best I can get and arrange for a 5 year warranty on it and so that's me at least good for 5 years.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                        X