From the Clyde to California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Clyde to California

With jottings by the way by James Aitken (1882).

Here is the Intro to this book...

A REASON is generally given for the publication of a book. The reason for the appearance of the present volume cannot be better expressed than in the following extract from one among the many, communications received:

"I cannot refrain from telling you how very greatly I am enjoying the account of, I am told, your tour in America that is appearing in the 'Greenock Herald,'... and I write to express not only thanks but a strong hope that you will publish your letters in a collected form by and by. I have been under the impression that I read more of American travels, newspapers, etc., than most folks, and was conceited enough to think myself-well posted up about a country which in some respects is more worthy of imitation than we are disposed generally to admit; but before your letters are done, I will have added to my knowledge a great many side lights of a very interesting kind."

In compliance with many requests of a like nature, the papers have been handed over to the publishers, who have kindly undertaken their issue in the present form;. and if they add some information, however little, of a great country and a great people so closely allied to us in bonds of friendship and race, it will be a source of pleasure and gratification to the writer.

And so you can read this book as we get it up at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...a/clydendx.htm
Working...
X