"Carrying On"/New, no naughty bits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Carrying On"/New, no naughty bits.

This began with the heading, "Maybe Story", part way through it became "Carrying On". Will post first part now, the remainder, with permission, in groups of three or four; story not too, too long.

Carrying On

Charlie awakened early and without looking at the alarm clock decided it was too early to rise. Bed lamp turned on before he reached for the book, opened same at the book mark, did not read, placed the open book on his chest and ran thoughts of the previous six months through his mind; concluded with, “should do something, anything would be better than what I am now doing”. He left his bed, prepared his percolator and couldn’t think of a single reason why anything could or should change.
    Coffee, black with one sugar, the kitchen window, thought, “my view of the world”, fields not turned, a clear blue sky and, and, a half moon, daylight but still the moon lingered.
    He turned, coffee in hand, walked through his small living room and looked directly into the sun, a sun so bright that it took his sight away for fully five minutes. Spring, “when a young”, smiled for the first time in days and told himself how ridiculous that was.
    The year is now 2012 and for the preceding six months Charlie has been living in southern Ontario, a small bungalow he bought when his wife divorced him. Eight months before this time he had finished an affair with an English lady; an English married lady whom he thought was divorced; his affair had lasted four months before Claire announced that her husband had been finishing a contract position in Saudi Arabia: Charlie dived into the “bottle” something he hadn’t used for a number of years.
    Charlie dressed, readied a second coffee, took that into his back yard; springtime, farmers had turned their fields, robins (American), nests built and more than likely the eggs were laid. Charlie had one of those round tables with the umbrella, furled at this time. He sat, thoughts drifted to Claire, the booze, sobering for the second time, hoping this would last.
    He heard his back door open, knew without looking that it was Jean, his next door neighbour, said, “still some coffee” and Jean told him she already had some, added, “picked up your mail, letter from England, Abby someone”. He turned his head and Jean laughed, said, “someone special(?), I always knew there was something wrong with the other one”. Charlie answered, “so you said when she was here”…he held out a hand and took the letter. Jean raised an eyebrow and he said, “later”. They looked at each other, five, ten seconds before Jean said, “Charlie you are dying to know what is in that letter, say the word and I will leave you to it”. Charlie opened the letter saying, “there is nothing between Abby and me, she is a married woman who was a friend of Claire’s.
    Charlie read the letter, stared into space until Jean asked if everything was alright. Charlie said, “a memorial service for Claire”, Jean was quite surprised said, “Claire died”(?) and Charlie said, “a while ago”.
    No talking, both deep in thought, Jean stood, very quietly said, “I think I know when” and Charlie nodded. Jean placed a hand on his cheek, looked at him, added, “I feel a little used Charlie but I do understand, I’ll do lunch”.

Re: "Carrying On"/New, no naughty bits.

part 2 had been attached to part 1, part 3 and 4 might be a tiny bit disjointed. I was afraid to try and clarify, thought it best to leave as is:-
    Carrying on 3
    Charlie had some thinking to do, mind drifted back to his divorce, 2006. The request for a divorce came as a surprise and he said as much, he remembered his wife saying, “Charlie don’t do that, this should be no surprise, Charlie we’re not really the couple we once were” and Charlie had interrupted with, “we are older and not that long ago the love seat on the back porch was”. His wife said, “STOP, for goodness sake I had to make all of the advances and I had chosen the day, I had chosen April fools day and that was three months ago”. Charlie nodded, said, “Jean, tell me the truth, are you seeing someone” and Jean said, “for more than a year, Charlie”. Charlie asked, “Tuesdays when I’m playing bridge” ? Jean nodded, added, “sometimes, other times when you were with the toy train club”.
    And now Charlie, looking amazed said, “Belanger, Pierre bloody Belanger, my clerk for two years when we were at Valcartier”. Jean neither denied or confirmed, said, “we can do this anyway you wish, veterans affairs can let us know the cheapest way to do this”. Charlie said, “up to you, are you moving or should I” ? Jean Continued, I know of a cottage for sale, one we can afford, you move, we sell this place and I am moving to the Eastern Townships, Mount Orford; I am leaving now, have packed some clothes, will leave a list of what I would like to take and will have a truck here next week; phone, let me know what you decide, the cottage I mentioned is one you have admired, owner says you can move in anytime”.
    Carrying on 4:-
    Charlie’s residence in Canada was located in Morpeth, a tiny community within a couple of miles of the Rose Beach area of Lake Erie; also almost side by side with Jean’s cottage and she he needed to see. No fences between the cottages. Charlie saw that she wasn’t tending her garden, was surprised when he found her back door locked. He rang the bell, not a usual bell but the sort of bell we think of as being a much smaller version of a ship’s bell, Charlie had mounted the bell on one of the posts holding her tiny back porch. He heard, “who is it”(?) replied, ”your next door neighbour”. Jean said, “okay Charlie, coffee or lemonade and I will bring it outside”, both chose coffee and Charlie sat at the picnic table.
    Jean set a travel mug in front of Charlie, her mug, her favourite was one of those with a message, Jean’s message read, “my kid goes to U.W.O., so does my money”. Jean opened the conversation, said, “Charlie, it is clear that what you do is not my business, when you broke with Claire you hit the bottle, someone, would that have been Abby(?), called me from Heathrow, gave me your flight number and eta, said that you had been drinking; that would have been two years ago”. Charlie said, “a little less, and yes Abby would have called, she ah, and he let out a breath of air before continuing; Abby knew that Claire was married , why she never told me I don’t know; I was angry and felt like an idiot……sorry for, you know”.
    Jean shrugged, remained silent and Charlie said, “her death”. No talking until a few minutes had passed, Jean gave an opinion, “she died almost a year ago, I was your comforter, your baby blanket, funny but thinking back to that time I must admit that what took place would have happened anyway and you will surely be going to the memorial service”. Charlie said he wasn’t sure before adding, “if I decide to go would you go with me” ? Jean said, “don’t be ridiculous Charlie, you have no idea how I felt”.
    As Charlie was walking away, Jean said, "Charlie, why a memorial service now"? and Charlie turned, said, "Claire was killed by her husband, he was tried, confessed and is now in jail". Jean asked why he had not been called and Charlie said, "I was, did an affidavit with the husband's lawyer, barrister/lawyer said he would be in touch if needed, guess I wasn't".

Comment

Carrying on 5.
      Charlie made up his mind to absent himself from the memorial service. He knew that he had a phone number for Abby, found his address book in the English style wallet which also held his passport and some Brit money. He checked the time, a little before lunchtime and called Abby. Abby answered on the second double ring, recognized his voice, said, “I was planning on calling you, I have keys for your house at Fleet, could go tomorrow and air it out, tell me where and when you will arrive here, or have you not yet booked” ?
      Charlie laughed, said, “Abby, full of energy, full steam ahead whatever the occasion, I was actually thinking of not attending”. Abby said,”re-think, please, I accept that you were hurt but of all the affairs Claire had she was really fond of you, you know I had known her for some time and shortly after you and she parted she talked, just a co-incidence but she talked of her death, said she wanted to be cremated and her ashes sprinkled over Chesil Beach, she loved your house at Fleet; tell you what, you give it a think and if you fly into London Heathrow, there’s a commuter train which would bring you to Guildford and I can pick you up there, Des would like to meet you again and we could lunch here in Horsham”.
      Abby continued, “Do you have an iPad or do you use Skype(?), do look for a flight and let my know, IPad is easiest for me and if the time is late for me, not to worry, Des is away until tomorrow, he is collecting material for a seminar, University of Surrey…and I must tell you, no not now, will tell when you call but it has to do with Jean your ex-wife and Jean your neighbour….until later, obviously I am trying to not hear you deciding not to come”.
      Carrying On 6
      Abby broke the connection, Charlie hadn’t realized until he heard the dial tone and as soon as he hung up he had another call: Annie, a sometime bridge partner for the middle of the week and perhaps the Canadian version of Abby; before he said hello, Annie said, “hear your going to England” and Charlie, sounding absolutely positive said, “I am NOT going to England, your info is all wrong” and Annie responded with a laugh, “c’mon, I talked to Jean and you received a letter from someone you, ah, let’s say, “admire, admired, took a fancy to”. Charlie sputtered, said, “that is ridiculous, you know damned well I would NOT hit on a married woman. Especially one who was a friend to someone I was seeing”: Annie said, “Charlie, you never made overtures to me but the nuances, the subtleness, Charlie you may be right but there were times I thought you were going to take my hand when we are walking to the car AND yes you would want someone like me not to stray; but my feeling is that you, without being fully aware, have a bit of a crush on the English woman.
      Charlie wanted the call to end and AG knew that….a minute of silence preceeded Annie, who said, “Charlie I do not want to see you with a broken heart and if this lady is all you think she is, and is very secure and happy with what she has, then maybe it will do you good to get over the other, I cannot remember her name but she had all that any man would want; my guy, in a joking way, said, “a lot of husband would leave home for her”.
      Charlie thought of a coffee Royale, said aloud, “no way” before checking out AirTransat, BE and IcelandAir.

Comment

Carrying on 7
        Charlie went out his back door, surprised to see Jean at her garden. Jean was more of a gardener than Charlie in that she had flowers, front and back of her cottage and, like Charlie, grew various vegetables. Charlie waved, said, “surprised to see you, thought you were with Annie” Jean said, “no, we did talk on the phone, mostly about you, you made up your mind yet” ? Charlie said, “pretty much, think I’ll stay home, thinking to go to Ridgetown right now, coffee, wanna come”.?
        Jean shook her head, said, “no thanks Charlie, you make no sense to me, you buy Folgers, claim it’s the best, have it with no milk but one sugar, at least three times a week you drive, what(?) five, maybe six miles to Tim Horton’s for a small double double in a china cup, no, no, you go, do your thinking and I will bring out the roto-tiller.
        Charlie said, “need me to pick-up oil or gas”? Jean said, “already done, you go to England and they tell me they say petrol…..by the way, when you talked to Annie, did she mention Abby(?) what I’m thinking is that she might have called her”.
        Charlie thought, said, “yeah, she ah, mentioned Abby but Abby’s last name was never mentioned”. Jean said, “not sure that will stop her, she knows people at Bell….did you have a crush on Annie” ? Charlie said, “no, God no, we played good bridge together and when I talked to her today she gives the impression that I, I, what, I struggled to not make a pass at her, her thinking, no doubt I liked, still do, her, she is very good at bridge, quite attractive and a really nice woman, you know”
        Jean said, “go for your coffee Charlie, I will roto-till, might do mine first, you can get rid of the stones before you do yours”.
        Charlie nodded, turned to leave, heard Jean say, “your phone, Charlie, England five hours ahead, are they” ? Charlie said, “I’ll get that when I return” and Jean said, “why not now Charlie, get it over with” ?
        Charlie re-entered his cottage.
        Carrying On 8:-
        Charlie answered his phone with a hello heard Abby, “me again, Abby, a couple of things but first have you booked a flight” ? Charlie said that he hadn’t added he was thinking of not attending the service. Abby, said, “ah, I see, yes well, actually I thought you would but not my business; we, meaning Des and I along with a few mutual friends were thinking of postponing the service for a few days, you know, give you time to be here, but we can go ahead; you have a friend Annie and ehm, she ah, she thought, well I’m not really sure what she thought, she called and at first said that it would do you good just to carry on with your life, seems you have a lady and I’m not sure if she meant herself or someone else….as I say, not my business, I thought it would be something you wished to do; should we just go ahead with the service then(?), Charlie I do wish you would say something, the thing is I do have a key for your cottage, I suppose that is trivial, I can mail it BUT, would have been nice to see you again but if your mind is made up”.
        Charlie said, “mind not really made up but I don’t want to, you know, ehm impose, waste your time and I am sorry about Annie phoning, no idea how she got your number I, look this call is costing you, would it be okay if I called you in, say, 20 minutes, around noon here should be five with you at that time.
        Abby smiled and nodded, said, “lovely, what say we do that thing with IPads, a couple of hours from now, oh, wait a minute, look, hate to do this but Des has a friend with an in at British Airways and there is a charter or something out of Toronto at midnight your time, Heathrow at noon our time and if you take the shuttle to Guilford I can have you at the Methodist Church when the service starts; I will arrange that to start at two our time…..or should I just forget that, are you close to Toronto” ?
        Charlie said, “close enough, I will need the particulars and it will be close because they expect passengers travelling internationally to be three hours before take off”. Abby sounding quite jovial said, “Des will look after the times, talk to, and of course see you, at two PM your time”.
        The call ended and Charlie picked up his car keys, stepped out the back door and Jean saw him, turned off the roto-tiller, said, “WELL” ? Charlie said, “I will tell all on the way to timmies”.

Comment

Jean walked half-way to Charlie’s car, stopped, looked at him, said, “Charlie you don’t have time for this and I would at least have to change my shirt”. Charlie answered, “what we could do grab a quick shower, wash each others backs and get all spiffied up”. Jean retorted, “not funny Charlie, we’re done, you know it and so do I, so…..Charlie put two fingers to her mouth, said, “just trying to keep it light, please, , you change your shirt and I will wait in the car, I do need to talk to you about this trip”. Jean was at her back door when she said, “Charlie if you make the trip do not suggest I go with you, I’m very serious”. Charlie nodded, said “okay”.
          Ten minutes later they were approaching Ridgetown and Jean was on her phone, the call was brought to a close and Jean told Charlie that Annie would make enquiries. They entered Tim Horton’s, both had coffee, Charlie a Boston Cream and Jean an Apple Fritter. One of the staff came to their table, sat and asked how things were going, asked, “you ever think how much money you would save if you moved into one cottage and rented the other” ? Jean said,”we have split, Charlie fancies someone, a married woman who lives in England”. Claudette said, “good Lord Charlie thought the last one would have taught you a lesson, I’m outa here, Jean you need your head read, dump this no good and find yourself a farmer”.
          Charlie said, “Annie should have no trouble finding out about a flight, all times are on-line”. Jean wasn’t sure about Charters”. They were down to the last few drops of coffee when Jean’s phone rang. She answered and nodded a yes when Charlie mouthed, “Annie”. Charlie heard one side of the conversation, “my God…no, not a clue,…really….pretty sure but he will only say he is thinking about it….okay, yeah…yeah that will make a difference….sure, give me an hour”, before she hung up.
          Charlie said, “so????” And Jean said, “your flight is earlier, your ABBY might have told you”. Charlie, a little abruptness creeping in, said, “her husband was looking into the flight and she is NOT MY ABBY, the lady is married and is extremely nice”. Jean snapped back, “but she did have a trashy friend”….Jean knew she had gone a little too far and immediately apologized.
          Charlie’s flight was arranged but he could still cancel, he was to be at Pearson Airport by 9:30, he is to ask security to call a number and tell whomsoever that he had arrived, needed directions to their hanger….he was to be a passenger aboard a Bombardier Challenger 605, arriving Dublin 9:30 AM local time.
          Charlie remained quiet for a few minutes, shook his head, said, “what the hell”. Jean asked if that was a big plane and Charlie said, “no, not really, Bombardier make’s business Jets”.
          They left Timmies and when they had buckled up, Jean asked, “what do you think, Charlie”(?) and Charlie hadn’t a clue. They were a couple of minutes from home when Charlie said, “I am going to phone Abby before two our time, in fact I will phone her soon as. Would you do a favour,(?) use my computer and find information about the Challenger, no idea if it can cross the Atlantic without a fuel stop, you do that and I will shower”. Jean said, “sure” with a lack enthusiasm noticed.
          Charlie showered, dressed in jeans, a tartan shirt, (one favoured by hunters) and loafers. Jean was on the phone and she mouthed, “Annie” to him. Jean then said into the phone, “hold on Annie, switching to speaker”.
          Annie’s voice came through the speaker, “okay, you will be traveling with a moneyed family, not the entire family but the pilot is a son, a friend of his will be in the right hand seat, Jean has the info but this plane is a new model, built five months ago with GE engines and can easily cross the Atlantic, Jean said something about Ireland and Toronto to Dublin, probably six hours tops. So, guess is that you are all gussied up, ready for anything which comes your way, Abby sounds like a prize, see her as being tall, statuesque, elegant, and with nice teeth, I added that because I know how old she is and young enough to have her own”. Charlie whispered, “Lord” made his hands appear to be strangling someone, said, “thanks Annie I’m away to get packed”. Instead of leaving he sat in an armchair and waited until Annie stopped talking.
          Jean and Annie seemed to be in full agreement that Charlie was hooked on someone and would probably stay away for weeks, perhaps months. When the call was finished, Charlie, with a pleading tone asked Jean if she would re-consider and join him. Jean said, “thank you but no thanks, a few days ago I would have jumped at the chance, I’m away to do my garden, yours will be done when your away”.
          Charlie plugged in his iPad, sat a few minutes before trying to connect.

Comment

Carrying on 11
            Charlie put the iPad to one side, used his phone to talk to Jean, “can a man NOT have a woman as a friend” ? Jean said, “whatever happened to hello(?), look Charlie, Annie and I might be completely wrong but all, maybe not all but Annie and I agree that your going to England has more to do with meeting this woman Abby than attending a memorial service for a woman you supposedly loved”. Charlie replied, “you told me about that Mexican man YOU became friends with and he was married”. Jean, “oh Charlie, not the same at all, I loved him as a friend, I told you about him, he and his family were here for the tobacco, I primed, taught him to prime because it was where the money was, AND, I arranged for one of my sons to tutor the kids, and Manuel and his wife, and I read Garcia to Manuel and Conchita; Garcia was new to me, “a hundred years”, brilliant, wonderful, history, truth, yes I loved the pair of them but never wanted to feel his arms around me……Charlie I am glad you are going, I really hope the Abby does become a friend, perhaps she will, Charlie, you might return to Morpeth with a broken heart and better that than leave a broken marriage in England.
            Charlie sat, a few minutes, used the microwave to re-heat a coffee, stirred in sugar, thought, “no way”, believed he was being completely honest with himself, called his AA sponsor who said, “ah, it’s the ladies Charlie, the libido, very easy to talk ourselves into liking, but the mental images Charlie, the softness, the so called greatest gift but the greatest gift is the all, love: Charlie you have to live with yourself, we both know you had a slip in regards the booze, don’t have a slip in the other and don’t brood about it, talk it out with others”.
            Charlie took up the iPad fully intending to tell Abby he would not be visiting.
            Charlie opened “FaceTime” and was surprised to find Abby listed with his “contacts”. He did the clicks and within a few seconds saw a smiling Abby, who said, “good to see you Charlie, handsome as ever and I am, we are, looking forward to your visit, Des was wondering about he and I spending a few days with you in Fleet, something we can discuss later, in the meantime, oh God, there is me simply assuming you are coming”. Charlie said, “yes, of course, I would like a little more information about my flight….and lest I forget, you are looking very smart, oh, curious, how do you become friends with Claire, I am guessing you are middle fifties and Claire was quite a bit younger”.
            Abby nodded, held up both hands as if surrendering, said, “Charlie, Claire might have not been as young as you thought she was, I remember one time you mentioned her youth to me and I told Claire that she should tell you her real age; Charlie you are aware that she had children”, more a statement than a question and Charlie said, “yes, a daughter who was spending time in Australia with her father, I did know that Claire had been married twice”.
            Abby nodded again, said, “Charlie I ah; would you mind holding on(?), I must get the notes I made in regards to your flight” and before Charlie could respond Abby had vanished. She was gone from view for a few minutes and when she did return she had a glass of something with her, said, “Charlie, Des is away for the night and I hope that we can talk about Claire face to face, I do get a little emotional and Des does hold me….in the meantime, the airplane is lovely, or so I am told, both pilots are good and you need to be at Pearson, he was one of your Prime Ministers I believe, by eight this evening, you will be in Dublin by nine AM local time and, I think you will like this, an hour and a half to do as you wish, I do recall that you wanted to take Claire to Dublin, you were interested in anything to do with Michael Collins, if the interest is still there, I will let Abdul know, he said he would drop you off at, Cathal Brugha Barracks, Collins was stationed there and there is a plaque plus some history; and, by the way, how are you getting to the airport” ? Charlie said, “Jean, my neighbour”.
            Charlie finished the call and packed, he walked over to Jean’s found her sitting in her kitchen and she said, before he sat down at the kitchen table, “I’ll get a coffee for you but don’t ask me to take you to the airport”. Charlie said, “aw Jean, c’mon” and Jean quite angry said, “NO, you have a bloody nerve asking me, get another ride, in fact get two, one for the airport and the other from some woman in England”.
            An hour and a half later they were sitting in a restaurant in London, Ontario, deep fried battered Halibut to melt a cold, cold heart.

Comment

Charlie said, “this is entirely up to you,I would like to stop at the Dixie Outlet Mall, it is a quarter to four and if we leave right now, take the 403 through Brantford, hit the Queen E at Hamilton and we avoid much of the TO traffic and I need to buy a couple of things”. Jean, sarcasm front and centre said, “something for your pretty English lady”(?) and Charlie said, “enough, it is past a joke, let’s just forget the whole thing and return to Morpeth”.
              Jean said, “not on your life, we go home and you missing out on your visit would give you a reason to resent me for the rest of your life, get the check, we need gas before Toronto and there is a Canadian Tire on Wellington…..what are we shopping for at the Mall” ? Charlie said, “Maple Syrup in the white jug, cranberry juice, not drink and, if you are willing, there is a Levi-Strauss store and you are about the same size as the English woman”. Jean said, “only if you buy one pair for her and one for me”. Charlie said, “deal” signalled to the waitress and gave her $45.00 then to Jean “$7.00 tip, okay” ? Jean actually smiled.
              Traffic was heavy through the Hamilton area but they arrived at the outlet mall at 6:15PM. First shop was Levi-Strauss and Charlie asked Jean, “what is you waist size” ? Jean told him, “none of your business” before telling the sales clerk what she was after. She took three pairs of jeans into a dressing room and a few minutes later re-emerge wearing new jeans. She checked herself out using a set of three full length mirrors.
              The sales clerk was a little heavier than Jean and Jean asked her, “what do you think” ? The name tag on the clerk said, “Moira” and Moira was smiling, said, “if those jeans would make me look like you that is all I would ever wear and by the looks of your husband, I’d say he approves”.
              Charlie tried nonchalance, said, “a lot of women wear jeans you know, what’s so special about these” ? Jean said, “they hug my ass, my ass feels like it is being caressed”, then she turned to Moira said, “three pairs, same size”, she turned to Charlie said, “I will pay for the extra pair” and Charlie said, “never mind” and to Moira said, “make it four pair”.
              They left the Jean store and before they reached the Maple Syrup outlet store, Jean said, I need a minute, be right back”. Charlie watched her return to the jeans store before getting the maple syrup. Jean returned, she and Charlie entered the supermarket where he bought two bottles of pure cranberry juice.
              They left the mall and Charlie said he would drive, wanted to see something on Dundas Street. Jean said, “your car, drive wherever, what are we looking for” ? Fifteen minutes later Charlie had made a few turns arrived on Dundas and in a few minutes heard Jean laugh. She said, has to be the restaurant, how do you say it”(?) and Charlie said, “”Fuddruckers” and Jean was laughing, said, “awfully close to swearing”.
              Charlie drove, Dundas, Dixie, 401 collector lanes then followed the signs to the airport. Terminal 3 has a drop off place but lingering is frowned on, when Charlie stopped at the drop off a security guard came immediately. Charlie said, only be a few seconds, is this the terminal with the Dubai lounge. The security man asked Charlie’s name, then proof. He then smiled, said, “bring your lady and whatever you are taking on the flight, through the doors and look for the Emirates sign, tell the security guard your name”. Charlie said, “the lady isn’t leaving” and the guard answered, “you have time to kill and the lady will enjoy the lounge, the food is excellent”.

Comment

Ahmad, actually a cousin, and the co-pilot were with the security guard they had been told to see. He took them to the lounge, told them that Abdul would fly the first leg and was doing a circle check. He asked if they were hungry and Jean immediately said, “no, at least I’m fine”. Ahmad laughed, said, “are you not a little curious as to our cuisine”. Jean, a trifle flustered, said, “no, not really, I have eaten goat cheese”. Ahmad laughed.
                Ahmad addressed Charlie, “this lounge has an extensive menu, Qatar food I would recommend you try would be “machboos, sometimes the spelling has two 0’s, our menu replaces the o’s with a u; no goat, donkey or camel, it is a mixture of rice, chicken and vegetables and I think you would like it, we do have knives and forks”. Charlie said, “yes, sounds good”, Jean said she would try some of Charlie’s”. A regular and a small portion were served and both agreed that the “machbus” was excellent. And for dessert, cherry cheesecake.
                Ahmad excused himself, said they had an hour or so. A young woman came to them and said, “I will take your luggage and when she saw the bags containing jeans and foodstuff asked if the articles were a gift; told they were she added, “I will wrap these”. Charlie asked about customs and was told, “never a problem, Dublin they are very nice and usually come aboard for coffee”.
                Alone Charlie said, “what jean size did you buy for the clerk” ? Jean asked, “what made you think I would….” Charlie cut her off with, “it was written all over you, the woman is not well paid, probably part time and she did look a little envious”. Jean said, “20, she told me that was perfect and she was extremely grateful”.
                The time passed quickly, a security guard came for Jean and Charlie was hugged, said, “that’s it” ? And Jean said, “of course, there might be more from what’s her name”.
                The flight was not direct, they spent an hour at Reykjavik”, Northern Lights, enough to please. They arrived Dublin shortly before nine AM.
                For much of the time during the flight to Dublin the young woman who had packed the gifts for Abby sat with Charlie. Her name was Ahmra and Charlie asked, “is that a common name for a Muslim girl” ? She replied, “no, not really common, if I had a birth certificate printed in English my name would be, A-M-I-R-A. My “Baba”, dad, insisted on Amira when I was born, my Mum, at that time had read a poet from Morocco who used Ahmira and that is the name applied to me since early childhood. Charlie thought that the term Baba was used by Pakistani’s and Ahmra agreed, said, “much of the Middle East uses Baba”, She asked Charlie if he had been a military man and he laughed, said, “does it show” ? Ahmra nodded, said, “a little, you being Canadian, a Canadian military man might mean you have been a peacekeeper”, and Charlie nodded, said, “briefly” . Ahmra thought, “Afghanistan” but said nothing.
                Ahmra served coffee to the pilots, rejoined Charlie with coffee for herself and him, also a few chocolate chip cookies, asked Charlie, “why the barracks, I am to take you and curious, does it tie in with your military background” ? Charlie said, “I was born in Ireland, Wexford, a very English name, but, Michael Collins was stationed Cathal Brugha when he was killed, assassinated”.
                And time flew. Ahmra excused herself saying, “I need to change and, by the way, I am a scarf, I also drive and I do know what side of the road the Irish use”. She changed into slacks, walking shoes, pullover, draped a jacket on one of the seats and took a seat across the aisle from Charlie which had her facing the away from the cockpit, same as Charlie and she said, “safest seats for a landing or a take-off”.

Comment

16:-
                  The landing was smooth, Charlie thought very and Amrah laughed, said, “that will be hard to beat” and Charlie was to learn that the pilots had a standing bet on who would manage the smoothest. Amrah told him that Dublin was usually a little rougher than London, said, “one runway, wind almost always on an angle”.
                  Taxiing to the hanger line took a few minutes and upon arrival the re-fueling was immediate and two custom’s officers came aboard; one man and one woman, both mid forties and known to Ahmra and the pilots. Both pilots left to do a flight plan, Ahmad mentioning to Charlie, “you have two, two and a half hours, we will keep in touch with Ahmra”.
                  Bernie (Bernadette) and Sean, customs officers both treated to a lenthy hug with Ahmra; Charlie received a quick hug from Bernie and a handshake from Sean, after being introduced. Bernie went to the galley when Ahmara pointed in that direction while saying, “non returnable, I removed the tags” turned to Sean, added, “four six packs, clear glass bottles, Brit sized pints” and a smiling Sean answered, “you are a Darlin”. Ahmra headed for the galley and Sean sat across the aisle from Charlie.
                  Sean asked if Charlie was a friend of the people who owned the Challenger, Charlie answered, “no, never met a one, I had a lady friend who died and I did meet friends of hers, a woman from Surrey, her husband who, I think is a retired teacher” Sean said, “that would be Desmond, he, ah, tutors one of the aunts, or was, not sure who he is seeing now”. Sean said, “my understanding is that he does small classes, seminars”. Sean shrugged, stood, said, “have to check out my beer”, called Ahmra, “is the beer in the galley”. Ahmra answered, “I have two cold ones in the fridge, give us a minute” and before the minute was up, Ahmra and Bernie, each with a bottle returned to the cabin. Bernie did a couple of pirouettes in the aisle, said, “gentlemen, what do you think, am I too old for jeans, the real thing” ? Charlie said, “you have a very nice shape” and Sean’s comment bordered on the salacious and Bernie reminded him he was married, said, “your Ulster woman should give you the back of her hand”. He nodded and sat with his bottle in hand, looked up at Ahmra said, “Czech, not a micro brewery” and Ahmra said, “I talked to the Adonis and he said that the Czechs make the best Pils”. Bernie raised an eyebrow, said, “thought he was past tense” and Ahmra replied, “for most things”.
                  A young woman entered, said, “car for Ahmra, full tank, all yours if Bernie can drop me at the terminal.
                  Within minutes,Charlie and Ahmra were of their way to the Barracks and Charlie was learning a wee bit more about Abby and Desmond; perhaps hearing more than he wished to.

Comment

Exiting the airport Ahmra said, “the N1 is shorter but takes longer, just a few minutes, and, that would be my choice with a stop along the way, a tea room which does coffee”. Charlie had no quarrel with that and said so. He then asked, “would you be referred to as a “Hijaby” or is that demeaning” ? Ahmad laughed, said, “not in the least demeaning, a few boyfriends have used the term and before you ask, the Burka is not a common sight in Qatar, not unseen but nowhere near the number of wearers which you would find in Syria”. A few minutes later they arrived at the tea room.
                    Mrs. Mary Sharpe and her husband Michael owned the tea room and Ahmra was given a warm welcome, Charlie was introduced to Mary before Ahmra asked, “any word about Michael’s nose” ? Mary replied, “yes and he wants to post a notice telling everyone that there is a medical term which has nothing to do with the drink, can’t remember what it is but stats with “rosy” and at that Michael came from the kitchen, said, “rosa, not rosy, rosacea”. He shook hands with Charlie asked, “you a yank” ? Charlie said “no, Canadian” and Michael said, “used to be able to tell by the clothes but everything now made in China, one herbal tea and one coffee, black”. Ahmra said, “right, we do have sugar on the table”.
                    Tea break over and twenty five minutes later they were at the barracks, Ahmra drove to the officer’s mess, took Charlie and introduced him to four or five men, said to Charlie, “things to do, will see you in an hour”. She turned to a Captain, said, “Charlie is a Wexford man by birth, has a yen for info about the “Big Man”. The Captain spoke to Charlie, “a beer a nip or is it too early”. Charlie said, “I gave it up a while ago” and Liam the Captain said, “good on yuh, we’ve a room full of info about our Michael, let’s go”.
                    Charlie voiced his theory that one of his own might have shot Michael Collins and Liam asked, “based on what”(?) to which, Charlie replied, “approximately twenty attackers with Lee Enfields, Michaell had a carrier with a Lewis, at least twelve armed men of his own, one of the passengers with him is wounded, the vehicle he is in is used for cover and the General leaves the cover, walks twenty or thirty paces away before returning fire; he is the only fatality”.
                    Liam sighed, “yes, been suggested before, quietly, we don’t want to accuse one of our own with good reason, the man who is supposed to have fired the killing shot was an English Army sniper, my own thoughts are that he was bought by De Valera”.
                    When the hour was up, Ahmra returned, suggested another tea stop for a chat.
                    The chat started as soon as Charlie and Ahmra had their seat belts buckled. Ahmra, “I have talked to Abby and you are not going to Surrey, Horsham is part of West Sussex, has been for many years. I will take you from London to one of Croydon, Horsham Methodist Church, or Abby’s home; she thinks she might have said Surrey.
                    And about Desmond is awkward, I’m not sure how aware Abby is in regards to his “tutoring”.
                    Right now he is tutoring an aunt of the family, not a young student, a 38 year old who has an interest in Anthropology, unmarried, and history tells us that her interests vary but her interest in Anthropology, seems to have lingered”; this followed by a shrug. Charlie was more than a little surprised, said, “if he is cheating I am quite sure that Abby is not aware, she has always struck me as being very happy and, let’s say, assured she is in a good marriage; there is no way I would say anything about Des, I would never have thought him anything but content with what he has”. Ahmra’s opinion was, “he should be”.
                    Charlie had questions but asked nothing, he remained silent until they were approaching the tea room then asked, “how well do you know Abby(?), it just seems odd that you would have her number unless, what I mean is that Abby is the wife of a retired college prof and that seems, ehm, maybe I should just clam up”. Ahmra smiled, said, “I think you have added 2 plus 2 and have arrived at 4”, Charlie said, “Security, very rich folk, Qataries, Muslims, oil and gas, not really afraid of the west, Arab world intrigues”. And now Ahmra laughed, “you have it, you have been well vetted also, let’s enjoy our tea, talk on the way to London but I will say this, my own view, Abby is aware but will do nothing, loyal beyond understanding, he she will never accuse”.

Comment

No customers in search of a waitress. Mary walked the two of them to the car and Michael appeared for a hug. Mary smiled said to Ahmra, “don’t get him going. I have bingo this evening”. Mary hugged Charlie, told him he would be welcome anytime. And before Ahmra started the vehicle her phone needed answering; she looked at the number and mouthed “Abby”.
                      Conversation heard by Charlie started with a hello, silence while Abby was talking, then, “right, doesn’t sound like a problem but our take-off is scheduled for 10.45, flight usually an hour and twenty minutes and more than an hour’s drive to the Church….are you okay, you sound out of breath”. There were a few minutes of silence before Ahmra said, “Croydon, should reach Croydon a little after one, sorry(?), oh, yes he is fine”. She handed her phone Charlie, saying, “say hello to Abby”.
                      Charlie held the phone to his ear, eyes on Ahmra, said, “hello Abby” and saw a change of expression on the face of Ahmra; his free right hand lifted as if to say, “no wait”; the moment, whatever it was was swept aside while he listened to Abby apologizing for what she saw as her neglecting him: Ahmra stepped out of the car.
                      Abby said, “I must tell you that Des will not be at the memorial service, it completely slipped my mind that he is away for the weekend and this being Friday they are making an early start, will try to be out of the more urban areas before rush hour, so, ehm, scattering the ashes will be up to the two of us unless you would sooner be by yourself”. Charlie said, “no, I would like you to be there, most especially because you really were her friend”. Abby said she was pleased, finished the call by saying, “remind Ahmra that I will be waiting for her call from Croydon, you might add that if she cannot reach me she should drop you off at the church.
                      The young woman who had delivered the car to Ahmra was waiting for them outside the terminal, took over the driving and dropped them at the Challenger. Both pilots were pleased to see them, said they had flight planned and ready to fly. Ahmed had flown the first leg to Iceland, Abdul had made the perfect landing at Dublin, Ahmed said that he was up to the challenge.
                      Taxiing and take-off used ten minutes and they were away; the thinking had been a 12.05 landing, London and now they were adjusting eta to 11:45. Altitude was near, Ahmra had served coffee to Abdul, sitting in the right hand seat, and to herself and Charlie; spoke to Charlie.
                      “Charlie, I have the feeling that your feelings about Abby might be a little more than you are ready to admit to”. Charlie shook his head and Ahmra continued, “Abby is very, very English, meaning that her marriage is something she will protect regardless of feelings, Charlie I do not think she will let go of what she sees as her life, her obligations, her need”. Charlie said that he understood that, saw Abby as a very good friend, enjoyed her company and expected nothing more, added, “I expect to spend a few weeks here, would hope that Abby might have time for the occasional lunch but that is all, I will probably rent a car, perhaps return to Ireland”. Ahmra said, “perhaps you could invite your lady friend who is a neighbour”…..and Charlie had a look which said he hadn’t thought of that; it did make him re-think.
                      Ahmra continued, “Canadian servicemen, how often do you fella’s spend two or more years away from home(?), and, before you answer, my guess is that since the end of the second world war your chaps are never, ever more than a few months away from the woman you love; English woman are held up as martyrs for doing without their men for periods up to five years, even during peacetime and any wife caught cheating is shunned, sometimes even by family; Abby might want to cheat, but she is not leaving her home, an Englishman’s castle it may be but it is the very essence of her”. Charlie nodded, said, “yes” while looking through a window, completely lost in thought.

Comment

Twenty minutes into the flight Charlie was offered a re-heat which he gladly accepted. Ahmra re-heated both coffees before taking the seat which faced Charlie, said. “There is no need for me to tell you that Abby, perhaps angry but definitely fragile. I think she has known for some time, we have run into each other a few times, I have seen the look of her when she is brooding but the minute she notices me she shows a face completely free of care, it must be gnawing at her. There are women who would simply waltz into an affair, others would seek a legal opinion, I doubt Abby would do either.
                        Charlie said, “one thing I am sure of is that Abby has been hurt enough, Des needs a trip to the woodshed but that would not please Abby”, he sighed, rubbed his face, added, “the lady is very attractive, perhaps best all the way around if I scatter the ashes by myself, I can rent a car for the weekend, perhaps arrange a flight home either Sunday or Monday”. Ahmra agreed that his proposal would be the right way to go.
                        The landing at London City Airport was not up to anyones standards, Abdul laughed all the way to the hanger, said, “we need the under-carriage looked at, my man you were trying too hard, I think the gold is mine”.
                        Ahmra was told that her tank had been topped up and a service was done, the minute after the bump down, Charlie and Ahmra were on their way to Croydon. Nearing her flat she handed the phone to Charlie and gave him the number to be called. No answer. Ahmra said, “we are early, will try again from my flat, I have a couple of things for a neighbour. One half hour later, Ahmra said, “I need the address of the Methodist Church, will follow the sat/nav”. Within a half hour, Charlie was being hugged by Abby, Abby also hugging Ahmra before she took Charlie, saying to Ahmra, “I need to make some introductions, the minister says he will spend no more than a few minutes on Claire, he did know her; tea, coffee, cake and ice cream will be served and Charlie and I should arrive at Fleet by six”. Ahmra indicated she wanted another hug and whispered, “will you be home this evening” ? Abby whispered, “yes, unless invited to spend the night”, smiled, Ahmra quietly said, “be careful, I’m told the the heart is a terrible thing to lose”. Abby, a small shrug, said, “mine already lost”.
                        Charlie was introduced to the Minister, a brief handshake and, from the Minister, “ah, yes, Charlie”, before he took one of Abby’s hands into both of his, said, “you have a couple of minutes, must look over my notes”. Moving toward a couple, Charlie whispered, “the Minister is in his thirties, did he “know” Claire” ? Abby stopped, took Charlie to an empty pew, glared, said, “don’t do that Charlie, not to Claire, to yourself or to me she was my friend and I hers”; Abby took a small handkerchief from her purse and squeezed it, stood, added, “one couple to meet”. Charlie met Adele and George, George, middle fifties was quite visibly upset. Adele hugged Charlie and in a low voice said, “she loved you, Charlie, a lot”.
                        The service was over very quickly, outside there were hands to be shaken and Ahmra was waiting to have a few words with Abby. Ahmra tried to steer Abby away for a quiet word but Abby said, “no, Charlie can hear what I have to say and I do appreciate you concern, Ahmra, but, not to worry, I too have ashes to disperse but I will make it home”. Ahmra hugged both of them, said to Abby, “I have Monday, Tuesday off, lunch, please”, Abby nodded, said, “Tuesday, my house”.
                        Ahmra reminded Charlie of what was in the boot of her car and all was transferred to Abby’s, this done Abby and Charlie were ready to go, Abby said, “petrol, usually much dearer on the coast”. No talking for half an hour and Abby broke the silence saying, “there is one of those places where the Lorrie drivers eat, I stopped there last week and it is awful, we will go off road and find a tea room”. They did that, not quite Mary and Michaels but did have a cozy warm feel to it, seated and served Abby said, “I lied to Ahmra, I made up two of the bedrooms and if you agree I will be spending the night, I have ashes to dump, either before or after what we will do together with Claire’s. Charlie nodded, said, “fine with me” and Abby told him that there would be a full moon and a high tide at midnight”. Charlie agreed that midnight would be a good time before suggesting he would have no problem if Abby needed a drink, Abby smiled looked at him, said, “the only time I ever drink is after dinner when Des is home”.

Comment

Shortly after 6PM the cottage came into view and Abby said, “you do know that many of this type of cottage is named, yours isn’t, might be fun to choose one and I will have a plaque made, unless, of course, you would prefer it to be nameless”. Charlie said that he wasn’t sure he would keep it. Abby replied, “oh, I just assumed you liked this part of the country, you haven’t been overly keen to have it rented, it would be a good earner for you and, as for selling, I have a relative who is an Estate Agent and he would advise keeping it for one more year, the feeling in the business is that Dorset, within a year, will become almost as pricey as Cornwall”.
                          When the car was parked Abby released the boot lock, said, I will open a few windows while you are unpacking, the small suitcase is mine and I imagined that the front room would be your choice”. Charlie said, “choice of room is yours, front room will give you a spectacular view with a full moon, unless there are clouds”. Abby said, “you are much too generous, I will take the back room, after all this is your home away from home.
                          Upstairs both bedroom doors were open and Charlie visited the back room, presented that which he had brought from home and left her to unravel. He was back in the front room for less than a minute when Abby entered, said, “how did you know my size, perfect jeans”, then, smiling added, “have you been checking out my bottom”(?) and at this Charlie blushed, stuttered, “nonono, I asked Jean what size would she take and you are, have, similar shapes”. Abby laughed, asked, “is checking bottoms how you judge women(?), hesitated before adding, “Charlie I am joking, please, I’m sorry I made you blush”…..Charlie said, “nonono, it’s fine, honest. Abby took one of his hands, seriously said, “Charlie there are many English women who would find your reaction quite endearing”.
                          Charlie was about to respond when Abby held up a hand, said, “I need to change, when I am dressed I would like for us to sit at the kitchen table, I have a suggestion for tea, meaning our evening meal”. Charlie said that he would not change, added, “you knew what I was going to ask”. Abby smiled, “perhaps, then again maybe not, I need to take a quick shower before I change, and by the way I like your shower, was that suggested by Claire” ? Charlie nodded a yes.
                          Very few minutes passed before Abby, wearing a robe, called to Charlie, “on my way for a five minute shower”, Charlie replied, “when finished leave the water running, I do need cleaning, and I will change into jeans”.
                          It was nearly seven PM when they sat across from each other at the kitchen table, Charlie had poured two teas, said, “what are you planning for TEA(?)”. Abby said, “I bought two steaks and I understand that Canadians like to bar-b-cue”. Charlie said, “oh, I am, I mean, I do enjoy steak but not fussy about bar-b-cueing, and it depends on the cut”.
                          Abby went into some detail, “I did a little reading and actually talked to Annie and she said, “Black Angus, popular in Southern Ontario”. She also advised, seems she has been to England, that I find a Scotch, it’s what she said, she didn’t say Scots or Scottish, Beef butcher. I found one and visited, the man was proud of being an Aberdonian and when I asked about steak he mentioned, “The King of Steaks” said it was Porterhouse and I bought two, Des would have a fit if he knew the cost”.
                          Charlie was grinning, said, “we have to find a grocery shop, I will do the cooking, one steak will be enough for two and I am thinking that you would like a salad, I can do that, a few chips on the side and you will receive the tenderloin.
                          Abby stood, said, “let’s go, I think there is a Sainsbury’s not too far” and Charlie said, “almost sure there is a Tesco closer, let me take one of the steaks from the freezer”.

Comment

Shopping, Charlie was given free rein but he did consult Abby as to salad dressing, said, my choice for you would be French, Abby said, “oo la la, that sounds fine, I’m going to add a bottle of Schweppes, the tonic water, I tasted a little of the cranberry juice, quite surprising how different it is from the cranberry drink, quite sure it will mix well with the Schweppes”, Charlie nodded his approval.
                            Both were finished and walking towards a cashier when Charlie asked about a dessert, Abby said, “lemon, also strawberry cheesecake in freezer”, smiled when a smiling Charlie gave a thumbs up.
                            During the drive to the cottage, Charlie asked about the Scots Butcher and Abby said, “went to Arundel, stayed overnight with a friend who had worked in the office”. Charlie asked, “Adele”(?) and Abby nodded.
                            When the groceries were brought into the cottage, Charlie said, “about forty-five minutes, salad perhaps ten minutes earlier”. Abby said, “I leave you to it, will visit your next door neighbour; can you handle a rowing boat” ? Charlie, said, “if need be, are we scattering ashes in the middle of the Channel” ? Abby replied, “just a little away from the shore, only the ones I need to scatter” and with that she turned and Charlie said, “jeans are a nice fit”; Abby stopped, turned, hand on hip, said, “thank you, now try and keep your mind on the cooking”…….Charlie did not know how to take that.
                            Charlie got busy, defrosting the steak took two minutes on each side. Salad, one bowl, two leaves of lettuce as a base, green only, white stem cut away, various ingredients with shredded lettuce covering, dressing off to one side and set for Abby who would return in twenty minutes.
                            Abby returned, saw her salad had been prepared, a crusty bun on a small plate, half a glassful of tonic water with one ice cube and a small glass of cranberry juice to one side; she sniffed and said, “looks delicious, an aroma of vinegar, I thought that vinegar caused lettuce to go black”. Charlie said, “lettuce not soaked in vinegar, two leaves for the base and before adding anything else, a small squirt across the bowl, your steak will be ready in five or so minutes, I’ll explain the onions when I serve”. Abby said, “surely you don’t expect me to eat alone” and Charlie said, “no way, I decided you would prefer medium instead of medium rare, mine needs to be well done”. Abby ate her salad and made comments as to what she was finding, said, tiny pieces of scallions, diced tomato, celery, sweet green pepper, oh my, has to be the thinest slices of radish I have ever seen”, then she laughed, added, “French, very good choice”.
                            Charlie returned to the stove, saying, ‘no chips, ran out of burners”….he turned her piece of steak, stirred whatever was in two small frying pans then poured something which he had lifted from a deep pot into a brown paper bag, added a touch of salt and shook the paper bag, said, “I have warmed your plate”. Her plate in place he delivered her steak and she immediately said, “thats the tenderloin, we must share, please. Charlie said, “your medium, mine well done, please”. He then emptied the paper bag onto her plate, three onion rings and Abby laughed, said, “you made a batter, someone must have told you I loved onion rings”. Charlie said, “steak fried with onions and extra onions in a frying pan, also fried mushrooms”. Abby said, “God, no, this is perfect, get your own, please”.
                            Dinner was a complete success and each put on a coat, Charlie had coffee and Abby had her tonic water with cranberry juice; two beach chairs on the front lawn, a sky with a rising moon and stars aplenty. Charlie allowed that he was glad he made the trip; Abby said, “good”, thought, “so am I” but knew that soon she would be returning to Des and Horsham.

Comment

Charlie had taken his time with the coffee, the last two sips cold. He thought of more and decided he was too comfortable to move, wondered how long the silence had lasted. Minutes passed, he noticed Abby take a sip from her glass, said, “is this what we would call a comfortable silence” ? He felt rewarded when he saw her smile, heard her say, “I think it is, Charlie, I do feel comfortable and why not, a wonderful meal, a beautiful night and you are easy to get along with”. Charlie nodded, their eyes met and he said, “as are you, I mean” and before he could add anything, Abby said, “I do believe we are comfortable with each other, our platonic friendship has happened very quickly”. Charlie looked towards the sea, knew what Abby was saying, felt a line had been drawn.
                              The silence returned, broken by Abby when Charlie sat a little higher on his beach chair, Abby remarked, “you noticed the salt air, Charlie” and he said “yes, not nearly as noticeable on the other side of the Atlantic”. Abby said, “when I was much younger, we were having dinner with the grandparents when we visited Boscombe, their home, my Mum said, “doesn’t seem to be as salty as I remember when growing up”; Grandfather said, “too many folk driving cars”.
                              Charlie thought the grandfather might have had a point, checked his watch and announced, “after eleven, still no clouds and the moon pretty much full; are we sprinkling Claire on the lagoon side” ? Abby said , “no, she told me that the lagoon would bore her” suddenly stopped, her eyes filled with tears, continued, “sorry Charlie, just catching up with me, you take the urn and I will get my cardboard boxes from the boot”.
                              They had a ten minute walk to where the boat was, on their way Charlie said, “are you going to tell me who you are carrying” ? Abby said, “bedding and not your business”.
                              Charlie said he would mind his own business, added, “ does make a fella wonder, but, as you say, not my business….is the lagoon my business” ? Abby stopped, said, “meaning what” ? “You said we are to borrow the neighbour’s rowboat and that it is on the other side of the lagoon, actually on Chesil Beach, and by the way, could we have used your car(?) seems to me there is a road and a bridge where the lagoon is quite narrow”.
                              Abby “supposed so”, continued, “we are to meet up with your neighbour’s son and his wife, there is a skiff, room for four which we will use to cross that part of the lagoon, the rowboat will require four of us to get it to the water, “Minnie” says that when we return, you attach the grappling hook to the upper part of the beach and we are to wrestle the boat a little above the waterline….oh, we are also warned not to fall out of the boat, lots of strange currents three or four feet below the surface”. They heard “hello’s and were pleased that the moon was bright enough to see the younger couple. Fifteen minutes later, Charlie was rowing, Abby was sitting at the small tiller when she said, “I need to be past the point when I drop my cardboard boxes into the water”. Charlie surmised they would float but Abby said, “holes in cardboard, they will fill with water and by the time the tide takes them out to sea they will have fallen apart”.
                              The evening was quite cool but by the time Abby was satisfied they were far enough away from land, Charlie had worked up a good sweat. During the return towards land, Charlie said, “I saw the photograph on the urn, Claire told me where it was taken, she struggled to get into the swimsuit, it was a good time for her and I. Abby said, “she was middle thirties when it was taken, gained a few pounds but still the men looked and she would whisper, “men are such lustful creatures, are they not”; sometimes loud enough for the looker to hear”.
                              Abby sprinkled ashes and the urn was empty when they ran aground.

Comment

Working...
                              X