This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clan Ross - A Brief History

In the ancient Celtic tongue, a “ros” became defined as a promontory or peninsula of land, such as the fertile land between the Cromarty and Dornoch Firths in northeast Scotland. Thus the area was named “Ross” over 900 years ago and became the homeland of our Highland Clan. Today the area is still called Ross, divided into Easter & Wester Ross.

Farquhar MacTaggart (Fearchar Mac an t'Sagairt) was given the title of first Earl of Ross in the O'Beolan line of Wester Ross in 1234 by King Alexander II. Hugh of Rarichies, the first Clan Chief in 1371, took the name of the county as his surname. Thus began the first use of “Ross” as a last name. By the 16th Century, Ross was one of the most common surnames in the Highlands. The principal town of Easter Ross is Tain, Scotland’s oldest Royal Burgh, founded in 1066. Tain is the site of the Clan Ross museum.

Balnagown Castle, built in the 15th century, is south west of Tain and was the seat of the Clan until 1711. In 1972 the castle was purchased and impressively restored by Mohamed El Fayed, owner of Harrod’s Department Store. The lands around the castle are available for lodging, walking & hunting, and can be viewed at www.balnagown-estates.co.uk .

In Canada, a Ross founded the city of Victoria and is honoured with memorial stone chair. Dr. Alexander M. Ross of Belleville, ON was a world famous abolitionist who helped slaves escape to Canada. Rosses were on the first boat to settle Nova Scotia and helped start the city of Winnipeg!

Our current Clan Chief is David Ross of Ross & Balnagowan from the ancient Shandwick Rosses. This very old and distinguished family is the only Ross family that can trace their ancestry in the male line to the Earls of Ross of the 12th century. David is our 27th Clan Chief and lives in Perthshire

---------------------------

If you wish to read a more detailed history of Clan Ross, please read the definitive book The Great Clan Ross by Dr. John Robert Ross or visit our website at http://www.GreatClanRoss.org/cra~can3.html.

A brief history of Clan Ross - Canada may be found at http://www.GreatClanRoss.org/cra~can1.html.

Re: Clan Ross - A Brief History

This is so wonderful to know. I am finally understanding the system now that I live over here. Thank you!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
      This is so wonderful to know. I am finally understanding the system now that I live over here. Thank you!
      I'm glad that you enjoyed this brief account Kelly. Ross was a fairly unique area in Scotland. It was one of the original paired districts in ancient Pictland, and it was the first of these districts to be separated and created as a County. It was one of the few true counties. Other areas became Shires (i.e. Sheriffdoms governed by Sheriffs).

My McGregor ancestry is almost as interesting.

I thank you, as well, for sharing your own ancestry with us.

Comment

Sir Doug,

I wish you would share the MacGregor with us. I know we have a Euphimia (spelling) Ross and a MacGregor in there from many generations ago. I really enjoy your stories as do all the readers of ES.

Comment

Sir Doug,

I wish you would share the MacGregor with us. I know we have a Euphimia (spelling) Ross and a MacGregor in there from many generations ago. I really enjoy your stories as do all the readers of ES.
          I did put this in the wrong forum thread. Doug has been a long time friend of mine and an Elder. The Sir is only out of respect for the gentleman. If I offended anyone, please forgive me.

Comment

I did put this in the wrong forum thread. Doug has been a long time friend of mine and an Elder. The Sir is only out of respect for the gentleman. If I offended anyone, please forgive me.
            Obviously nobody took offence Lady Kelly. The respect is mutual.

Comment

Plan to come back to clan Ross for more reading.

My grandson, John Ross Flood, asked, "Gramma, when are you going to do Flood genealogy?'

"I'm saving the best for last," I told him. Little did I know how true that was. His great grandfather, John Flood, was bodyguard to Queen Victoria. I found her surname to be Ross.

John Flood had a son Henry Flood who had twins. They named them John and Ross. So, my grandson is named after his grandfather, John and his brother, Ross."

Can't wait to do more reading about the Ross clan.

Donna

Comment

Hi Donna. Welcome to the Clan.

I am still the national webmaster for Canada, and I have added two famous Canadians (Dr. Alexander Milton Ross and James Levison Ross) to the LINKS page this year.

You may have noticed that my sections for the Clan History take an original rather than a traditional approach. I hope that you enjoy the story.

Yours, aye,
                Doug

Comment

Doug,
                  I must apologize for being so awfully tardy in replying to your post.

Since my last note I have finished up the panel for the Flood family's genealogy. I displayed it
                  at the Chilocco reunion in June. It was quite an impressive addition to the other panels on
                  genealogy I have. Branches of the family are so varied and many. There are some I haven't even
                  touched into. The Hunters, Blaylock, Fletchers, are still just names to me with no history in my
                  mind. There was a John Hunter in Scotland imprisoned for his religious views (convenator). It has
                  been a while since I looked at that and maybe covenator is spelled wrong?

At any rate the Ross name is by far the best. :)

Donna

Comment

How could I possibly disagree with your final observation. Chuckle.

The daughter of the chairman of Clan Hunter in Canada is the wife of our current president of Clan Ross Canada (who will complete his term of office in August of this year . . . 2012). I cannot imagine anyone in Scotland being imprisoned for adhering to the Presbyterian Church of Scotland. Covenantors were part of the Reformation, were they not? The Reformation reached far into the North-East of Scotland - - - contrary to what my secondary school history teacher taught us!

One of our past presidents of Clan Ross Canada is a Fletcher. Maybe we are all related. You are to be congratulated for your work, Donna.

Cheers,
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    X