Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a Sunday morning - 19th July 2020

Hello...

And welcome back to lots of good news this week on the declining numbers of cases and deaths and re-openings, but off-setting that are the increases in violence, mental health issues and impending divorces.

Just as Ontario is moving to Stage Three, I discovered something odd this week about how statistics have skewed my understanding of the seriousness of the virus in different countries.

We only hear how many died and how many identified as infected with COVID. And it seems that some countries are better than others at counting and testing.

But the number that seems the most significant I saw for the first time on Monday in the Toronto Sun:

HOW CANADA COMPARES TO OTHER COUNTRIES

The 8,773 deaths Canada has suffered puts us at the 14th highest death count in the world, just slightly behind 13th placed Germany (9,070 deaths), but well ahead of 15th placed Chile (6,818 deaths).

When looked at as deaths per 100,000 of population, Canada falls to 17th place (23.79 deaths per 100,000). That compares to tiny San Marino in first place (124.3 deaths per 100,00), while Britain captured fourth spot (67.5 deaths per 100,000) and the United States came in ninth (41.2 deaths per 100,000).

Wow . . . San Marino! It really does feel like the old saying, “Facts don’t lie, buy liars figure . . .”

Anyway, I do like things in context and clearly the greater the population, the greater number likely to die.

Now, I just need to know where to find those figures to keep up to date on them.

Have a great week. Hope to see you next time . . .

Blessings

nnDnn

Working...
X