Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Railways of Scotland

By W. M. Acworth (1890)

Once again we are able to plug another gap in our history of Scotland by bringing you this book on Scottish railways.

The Preface...

The present work, though it would claim to be regarded as a book complete in itself, is, to this extent, a supplement to the larger book which I published last year on the Railways of England— that it avoids dealing with matters which are there described, and that it owes its existence to the favour with which the public received its elder brother.

Once more I have to acknowledge my obligations to the officials of the different lines for the ready assistance they have given me, and for the information which in almost every case they have freely placed at my disposal. More especially I must express my gratitude to Mr. George Graham, who, as one of Joseph Locke's assistants, started the first passenger train upon the Caledonian Railway, of which for seven-and-thirty years he has now been chief engineer, not only for a copy of his privately printed work on the origin of the Caledonian, but also for the unwearied kindness which has opened to me the stores of railway knowledge garnered for half a century by a marvellously accurate and retentive memory. To Mr. Drummond also, the locomotive superintendent of the same line, who has placed unreservedly at my disposal a large mass of curious and interesting old railway documents collected by him, I would tender my most hearty thanks. Not a little of the detail in the first chapter has, I may add, been filled in by tradition, handed down in my own family from the time when my grandfather was one of the original promoters and directors of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. To Mr. Arrol also, the builder of the Forth Bridge, I must express my thanks for the kindness which led him, not only to explain to me some of the methods adopted in the execution of his wonderful work, but also to look through and correct the proof sheets of what I have written on the subject.

You can read this book as we get it up at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...t/railways.htm

Alastair

Re: The Railways of Scotland

:) If I had a large house, I would love to have model trains especially the Flying Scotsman!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I remember my next door neighbour in Scotland was a railway engineer. It was his responsibility to deal with any accidents.

He once told me that he chanced his arm one Christmas and bought his 2 daughters a railway set for their Christmas. Apparently it didn't go down as well as he'd hoped :-)

Alastair

Comment

LOL more toys for Dad!

Comment

The Royal Scotsman Train

A film showcasing Perry Golf on the Royal Scotsman Train

And for Kelly :D:cool:

R1094 The Royal Scot Train Set

This is truly a magnificent set and one that will get the lucky recipient well on the way to building a model railway that they can be proud of! The famous Royal Scot train included with this set is representative of the famous London to Scotland service of the late 40s / early 50s and was a rival to the Flying Scotsman which ran on the East Coast Mainline.The awesome power of the full size Duchess locomotive is ably replicated by the model in the set which is powered by a 5 pole skew wound motor housed underneath the locomotives body, with the superb liveries on both the locomotive and the four coaches being representative of the period. The Royal Scot set includes a large oval of track with two sidings and a station which fits easily onto the Hornby TrakMat. Additional Hornby Track and Accessory Packs will complete the main infrastructure of the TrakMat leaving any additional details for the operator to complete.The City of Bristol locomotive is DCC Ready.

Comment

You lucky bugga!

I had an idea, why not us ES'ers plan a gathering and take a holiday in the Highlands on the trains up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
              :) If I had a large house, I would love to have model trains especially the Flying Scotsman!
              Kelly - the following links will give you an idea of just how big your new house will have to be.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-revealed.html

The video is rather dark, but gives an idea of the size of the layout.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...train-set.html

At the right side there are still photos, which are well worth viewing.

There is a home page for the railway, but it appears to have changed since I last had a look, and you have to logon.... a Google search brings up many links, but all the ones I looked at were rubbish....

The above links are from the Telegraph newspaper of March 2009.

Some years ago I constructed a folding table, but never got round to building the track, nor buildings..... !!
              Last edited by Ranald; 18 August 2010, 07:37. Reason: cut word duplication

Comment

Ohhh my, welp I better get rich from my writing or something real quick! Those are amazing Ranald, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X