Homecoming Scotland 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homecoming Scotland 2014

On the 25th of May 2010, Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, announced that Scotland will build on the success of the Year of Homecoming 2009 by staging a second formal celebration in 2014.

Homecoming 2014 will take place in the year that Scotland hosts: the Commonwealth Games; the Ryder Cup and; the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Rele...10/05/25113855

Publicity wasn't all that good in the years coming up to the Year of the Homecoming and many people complained. It was a success but it could have been so much more.

Homecoming Scotland II. Unofficial promotion has begun:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Homeco...2231592?ref=mf
    Just a wee kick up the backside.

Re: Homecoming Scotland 2014

There is a definate disconnect between local Scots and Scots outside Scotland. Also most people only get one foreign holiday a year so the spread of activities for homecomming was probably too much as most would have wanted to attend the Clan Gathering so it would have been that two week around that event that most would have gone for.

Alastair

Comment

I am going to rustle up some information or get banned one or the two..:)
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Don't get banned Kelly :(

Homecoming Scotland could have been the best thing to happen to the Scottish tourism industry since Braveheart but it wasn't handled properly, by the tourist board, the government nor the media. This time let's get it right.

Comment

I have been around to a few sites. I am asking questions but I have to agree with Alastair, Mr. Coville is extremely conservative in his views on out-sourcing. I would almost call it ridiculously stingy.

There are Millions of Scots around the world who would love the opportunity to celebrate this event. Scotland must get Euan Coville to have a change of heart.

Comment

comments on Blog at http://homecomingscotlandblog.blogsp...est-news.html:
            Aulyin said...
            "Homecoming Scotland II" needs to be promoted immediately.

How can we, the people, help to make sure that 2014 is amazing, creating sustainable employment in Scotland, especially within "Burns Corridor"?

We can use Facebook, Blog, etc and get the message across.

5 September 2010 03:12
            -------------------------------------------------------------------End.
            Domain Holdings. said...
            We agree 100% with your sentiment - during the last Homecoming Scotland year we had many overseas visitors asking about information at the last minute saying they had never seen it advertised - we can only hope the 2014 Homecoming Scotland will be pushed from the start in all of our overseas advertising, then perhaps we will get the numbers we expected and the accommodation booked up.

8 September 2010 08:59
            Last edited by Aulyin; 23 September 2010, 17:10. Reason: More info

Comment

VisitScotland announces new Chief Executive
              VisitScotland is delighted to announce the appointment of Malcolm Roughead OBE, as our Chief Executive. Malcolm has been Director of Marketing at VisitScotland since 2001 and has been responsible for implementing successful marketing campaigns that have not only increased visitor numbers but have earned VisitScotland a reputation for innovative marketing and online activities.

Malcolm is considered to be one of the top destination marketeers in the world and VisitScotland’s marketing activity has thrived under his leadership. His track record of success and the magnificent returns VisitScotland brings to the Scottish economy will reap dividends for our industry in the future.

Malcolm will assume a dual role within the organisation. He will be CEO and he will continue to direct the marketing strategy.

Malcolm has already signalled a change of direction for the organisation - with stronger partnership working with the tourism industry and a review of key functions to respond to the current challenges in the public sector. He has also announced that neither his role nor that of the Director of Business Engagement will be replaced - saving around £335,000.

Malcolm will share his thoughts on how VisitScotland continues to play a key role in growing tourism in Scotland in future editions of our VisitScotland Industry newsletters. He is also keen to get out and about as much as possible to meet industry representatives and local businesses.
              I had to underline that bit : ) http://visitscotland.briefyourmarket...xecutive-.aspx
              Last edited by Aulyin; 23 September 2010, 17:21. Reason: Misspelling and grammer (not mine)

Comment

Aulyin,

I am signed up at both websites:)

I like the promotions VisitScotland puts out. I wish they could also put hotel packages together along with the transportation. I would love to see the Western Isles but gotta grow Sea Legs!

Comment

11. Re: Homecoming Scotland 2014
                  On Oct 20, 2010, KathyKerr from Austin, Texas posted on TripAdvisor:

I attended Homecoming Scotland 2009 activites, including the Gathering 2009, and had the time of my life. It was advertised in the States through special interest groups (Celtic sites, Clan/Tartan sites, etc.,) and supported with information streamed through the Panalba.com newsgroup. It needed *much* wider advertisement, and more local (Scotland) advertising as well. Many locals didn't know anything about it when we got there, or had only found out a few weeks before. I applaud Lord Semphil and his cohorts for their efforts to organize and launch the event, but the Tourism branch of government in the UK should have really pushed to make this more known. The Clan Chiefs could have done a lot just by organizing simple get togethers for Gathering participants, and working with the US clan members to share and network. We're doing what we can on this end with limited information to start sharing news about 2014, but could use more solid information and media kits to really push it in the US at upcoming Celtic festivals, music venues and the like. We'll be back in 2014.
                  http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...-Scotland.html
                  The forum is worth a read.

Keep up the good work Kelly D
                  http://www.electricscotland.org/show...-official-page
                  Last edited by Aulyin; 11 November 2010, 19:48.

Comment

Each state in the US has several Scottish Games , dog shows, dancing etc...I would be willing to search out as many of them I can and forward email to you so you may send them back Homecoming information...There are many Robert Burns, etc etc Scot Heroes celebrated throughout the year. I feel that each club would be willing to make posters and have email notification of the Homecoming. It would be worth a try....

Lu.

Comment

This is an interesting find concerning Homecoming Scotland 2014: http://www.visitscotland.org/main/fo...x?g=posts&t=26
                      Mike Cantlay, the new Chairman of VisitScotland asking for views and suggestions.

Comment

VisitScotland chairman, Dr Mike Cantlay, wants to hear our views on Homecoming Scotland 2014 and has opened a forum at:
                        http://www.visitscotland.org/main/fo...x?g=posts&t=26

Please ask him any questions concerning tourism, especially about Homecoming Scotland II.

I took a look at the Homecoming Blog mentioned above and was disappointed with the lack of interest. http://homecomingscotlandblog.blogspot.com/
                        On 22 October 2010 Dame Anne said...
                        Visit Scotland should be very busy targeting its key audience by working with the many Scottish Clan Associations, the many Scottish games and festivals that take place all over the world. Visit Scotland should also check out the Association of Scottish Games and Festivals in the U.S.. Brochures, posters and other promotional materials should be sent to all the games and festivals that take place in Australia, the U.S. Canada and other places such as Russia where the love of all things Scottish runs high. Use sites such as the R.T. Burns Club, the largest Burns club in the world to also get the word out. www.rtburnsclub.com

Comment

I've been in there and have posted a few messages.

Alastair

Comment

I am just the rebel. I will leave the business end up to the professionals.

Comment

Active Scotland to launch
                              Scotland's journey towards a second year of Homecoming will continue with a year-long focus on Active Scotland, to launch on January 1.
                              Speaking at the 2010 International Events Conference in Perth, Tourism Minister Jim Mather said Active Scotland will build on the success of Homecoming 2009 and the Year of Food and Drink - which runs until May 2011, in rallying Scotland around a common theme.
                              On January 1, 2011, visitors and Scots will come together to signal the start of Active Scotland with the one o'clock run - a fun run or walk from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Park, and part of Edinburgh's official Hogmanay celebrations. The focus year will run until Hogmanay 2011.
                              Mr Mather said:
                              "Our diverse and beautiful landscape makes Scotland a fantastic destination to be active, whether you are visiting or you live here - and spotlighting this incredible selling point makes perfect economic sense.
                              "Through our focus in 2011 on Active Scotland, the tourism industry will work together to promote the vast range of activities Scotland has to offer. From gentle coastal walks to long-distance treks through challenging terrain; open canoeing on a tranquil loch to the thrill of white-water rafting down a fast flowing river; or the fun of a family bike ride to the rush of mountain biking through forests - Active Scotland has something to offer those of all ages and abilities.
                              "This will be the second in a series of focus years uniting Scotland in a common drive to promote some of its greatest assets as we build towards another year of Homecoming in 2014 - the year Scotland will host both the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup.
                              "Through Active Scotland we are aiming to sustain the momentum of the Year of Food and Drink, through which the tourism industry has been working hard to promote Scotland's authentic produce. There are obvious links between eating delicious, healthy food and drink and being active - and we intend to exploit these opportunities as these two focus years overlap.
                              "It is particularly appropriate to launch Active Scotland in Edinburgh on New Year's Day - one of the busiest times of the year for visitors, and a day when many are keen to develop a more active lifestyle."
                              http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Rele...10/12/14120027

Comment

Working...
                              X