Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions

fags is slang for cigarettes in the UK. I've never heard any other meaning.

Elda

Comment

Hi Dianne,

giggling here....

I was raised in Mesquite, TX. It is why I had to throw that in. I can be a bit of a rebel so excuse me but it is only in fun and because my mother hasn't been on in ages. She keeps me lined out.
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I won't ask a question today so I can give you all a break. Thanks again to all who responded. And to Kelly, huh, who would have thought you were raised here. Please do not even think to excuse yourself. I was laughing my "fanny" off.

Comment

Diane,

It sure is great to have you here. Wait til you meet my mother, Lu Rose. She lives in Austin and is a right nutter. Very clever too.

Everyone here is really terrific. Almost all are Scottish or of Scottish Ancestry. We have some very talented writers, artists and plain ole BS'ers.

I am just a Texan version of Hermine Grainger I reckon.

Lolol

btw fanny is the front part not the back part as we know it....
          Last edited by Kelly d; 30 August 2010, 11:37. Reason: had to add

Comment

Kelly,
            Yes, everyone here is really nice and helpful. I know Scotland has many talented people. I do know of one writer, Ian Rankin, oh and dmj. However, I do not know the character Hermine Grainger from the Potter series. Sorry. Plus, and this is so the worst flub thus far, my comment about "laughing my fanny off" well, I never meant it to mean what you told me it meant. I am still blushing and turning every shade of red. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Comment

Diane,

You are truly a dear!

I will tell you a quick story that got me into loads of trouble just after I moved over here.

My kids had been outside playing all day long. I had to go to a friends house to retrieve them. The friend offered me a cup of tea.

I told my two youngest who were covered in mud, "you two smell like old dogs, we need to get you home for a bath." I never ever meant it to be insulting. The friends got mad and thought I was saying their dog smelled bad.

I had to learn real quick to be aware of our old sayings....

Comment

On the opposite move, I moved to the US from Scotland when I was 13, many things I said made people laugh, just made me annoyed lol
                I told my friends my Mom was coming to "collect" me, apparently garbage is collected and people are "picked up" lol
                here a torch is a flashlight!! so many different things.
                Spots are pimples here
                I could post all day about the differences ha ha ha
                Everyone was fascinated with my accent I just felt diffferent!!

Comment

Hey again,
                  Kelly, Laney, thanks for your stories. I was again laughing my (not fanny Haha) butt off. I have a few more questions, what does "ootie" and "UYBRAM" mean? Couldn't find out. Also wanted to compliment this site as I explored all it had to offer and was just amazed with all the information available. I have endless reading available now. Oh, I also noticed that this forum is mostly for old time posters, however, I used it because I thought it was for old timers as in age. Unfortunately, I am an old timer, but I like to think of myself as a new, young, beginning, barely old timer. Haha. Ya all have a good day.

Comment

Diane,

You are perfect for us! Now to these two words or sayings- I don't have a clue. Wonders if ootie might be football (soccer). Uybram sounds like a slang word or possible gael. I will leave the answer to a Scot with a proper accent. It compares to reading Rabbie Burns...

Comment

Hello...glad to hear you like the site!! "Fags" in overall Great Britain, including Scotland & England....means "cigarettes". It depends where you live, but I do remember Brits used to buy cigarettes singly, like 10 at a time. The other meanings don't apply in this instance.

Comment

Got in an email from Jim Menzies saying...

I believe an OOTIE is a belly button that sticks oot while an INNIE is the
                        opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post

opposite.
                          I think that is exactly right Alastair, I remember hearing it out here quite a while ago with exactly the same meaning..........:cool:

It was seeing it printed with "an accent" that threw me off course..

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post

opposite.
                            Al,
                            that is the meaning I have for it.
                            As to the other "word" I've never heard it. Maybe it's a phonetic for something but I cannot come up with an answer.
                            Sandy

Comment

The words were also used in kids games (hide and seek etc),,,,, 'you are in' and 'you are out'.

Example below, but 'in' and 'out' in english !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...en's_games

Ranald
                              Last edited by Ranald; 4 September 2010, 06:04. Reason: added a link

Comment

There is also 'uppy' and 'doony'.

Even today you can see professional footballers in practice, kicking the ball up, not letting it touch the ground and kicking it up again, and again and again.......

As kids, we called it 'keepy uppy' - if I remember correctly ;-)

I hope the link in my previous message, brought back memories.... 'kick the can' etc...

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                                X