Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Have a few questions for a Scot. Anyone interested?

Re: Questions

HI Diane,

Please feel free to ask your questions. There are many Scots out here who will answer. Welcome to the ES Forum!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Feel free to ask. We wont bite!!

dmf

Comment

Thanks for welcoming me. Actually I have a lot of questions, but will start with a simple one. What is "haggies" and how exactly is it made.

Comment

Diane,

Here is a cute page:)

http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/

Comment

Thanks for that site Kelly. Needed the smiles. And dmf, I am not real sure you all don't bite. :) Next question is what about kilts???? Why were they originally worn, are they still worn, and of course, what is usually worn or not worn underneath. Just curious.

Comment

These are fair questions. :)

Here is a page about the wedding kilt.
              http://www.electricscotland.com/weddings/guide11.htm

http://www.electricscotland.com/tartnday.htm
              Last edited by Kelly d; 28 August 2010, 12:52. Reason: added another link

Comment

Wow!!! Kelly you are full of information, thanks. One more question (today at least HaHa), were there really Templars in Scotland in ancient times.

Comment

Ohhhh yesh, until they were outlawed by the Pope. KT were all over Europe.

Comment

Hey, me again with another question. If someone was diving for pearls and they said that they had enough for "five fags", what exactly would that mean. I am assuming it means a measure of some sort. Tried to find out the meaning of "fags" but have come up empty.

Comment

Might mean cigarettes.

Comment

Fags or tabs is smokes, cigarettes. Shag is not a dance or a hair cut, fanny is not a woman's name, boot on a car is the trunk, bonnet on a car is a hood, mobile is cell, the UK does not use Z in their spelling and chili here is not Texas chili but picante sauce. The list does go on and on. A kilt was used to distinquish between the clans.

Men wore the kilts and nothing else, they still do.

Kerr is pronounced Car.

That is why I had such a tough time coping, I had to learn all over again. Scottish and Irish men are still the best looking men in the world....
                        Had to add that since Diane is from Katy Texas.

Comment

Hi Diane

'five fag's' could well be slang for the amount of air left in the diving cylinder. It would have to be based on the time it took to smoke a fag (cigarette). Should that be the case, then divers would have to know the 'time' for smoking one cigarette.

However I suggest that it was probably used by a diver, as a guide to another diver (or the diving boat crew) as a general guide that there was sufficient air left, so there was not an immediate need to resurface.

Just my interpretation.

Ranald Hi just noticed you were on line........
                          Last edited by Ranald; 29 August 2010, 17:26. Reason: added text

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. Everything seems to make more sense now. I am sure that Alastair and Ranald would absolutely agree with what Kelly said about the Scottish and Irish being the best men in the world, haha, however, I am not sure why she felt the need to say that just because I am from Texas. I mean, they do say that EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas. Haha. I will ask her tomorrow as my "question fo the day" since I alread asked one today.

Comment

Fags mean Cigarettes

Comment

Working...
                              X