Ross of Hanyng-Stewart-Hamilton-Creichton-Campbell, scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross of Hanyng-Stewart-Hamilton-Creichton-Campbell, scenario

My mother emailed me this article and asked me to post while she is on holiday in Colorado.

Our mita DNA, which is maternal dna matches Elizabeth Creichton.

__________________________________________________ __________

Surnames: Creichton, Ross, Campbell, Hamilton, Covile, Lockhart, Stewart

When Sir James Hamilton of Fynnart was granted the barony of Ochiltre on Dec. 19, 1530 by James Colvile of Uchiltre (SEE "Register of the Great Seal of Scotland", Vol. 3, 1513 - 1546, page 214, No. 978), his charter -- toward the end -- reads:

"....RESERVATO libero tenemento 36 marcat. terrarum aut circiter in Uchiltre, et 7 librat. aut circiter in Bernweill et Foultoun, Domine Eliz. Creichtoun sponse quondam Willelmi Colvile de Uchiltre....."

Elizabeth Creichton was the mother of Jonet Campbell who married (1) George Ross in 1529, and then (2) John Campbell, and (3) John Lockhart (SEARCH here on Rootsweb's Aryshire general board for the post "Notes on John Campbell" dated 22 July 2006). And now, in 1530, we have her identified as a widow for whom land has been reserved land in the barony of Ochiltre -- with no mention of any husband, who could have been named in the reservation along with her.

Presuppositional reasoning shows that Sir James Hamilton during the 1530's would have known Elizabeth Creichton, grandmother of John Ross, and could have arranged a marriage between her grandson and Mariota Hamilton, who undoubtedly was the illegitimate daughter between Hamilton and Mariota Stewart of Avendale. PLUS, it was during this same time that Hamilton "traded" Ochiltre for Avendale, held by the Stewarts. One couldn't ask for a better chain of events, or for a better time-line for these events to have occurred!

Jonet Campbell's father was identified as Matthew Campbell (of the Loudoun family) when she was "officially" legitimized on Dec. 28, 1538. Matthew Campbell was a "King's man", and does not occur in the Scottish archival records after the battle of Flodden, indicating that Campbell met his death in that battle -- as did his King. It is well documented that family members of fallen fighters at Flodden had many privileges bestowed upon them, among which was the right to marry whomever, whenever, the survivor might choose. Elizabeth Creichton must have qualified for this privilege because here we have a woman who is holding land, but appears to have no husband!

For me, this is another indication that the various families in this Ross of Hanyng scenario have been correctly identified and placed. Although not literal statements of fact, circumstantial evidence which springs from research is ignored only by fools.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

This will be the beginning of our search. I will try to verify this with the National Archives in Edinburgh.
    kellyd:redrose:
Working...
X