Distinctive Character of the Scotsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distinctive Character of the Scotsman

I am working on a book to do with the social aspects of Scots and found this wee para...

In one respect only does the distinctive character of the Scotsman remain unchanged. He retains the enterprising spirit of his sires. He passes into all lands, and engages in stupendous undertakings. No impediment can check his progress or diminish his aspirations. Prompt in device and vigorous in action, he meets difficulties with patience, and overcomes them by energy of purpose. His ardour renders him conspicuous, and his indomitable resolution and unbending integrity secure him confidence and friendship.

Alastair

Re: Distinctive Character of the Scotsman

Certainly that is the character that is often recognised as being of the Scots.
    Nowadays many of our current compatriots would not be recognised in this way...

Not to say that there are not any people with "get up and go" but there appears to be a preponderance of "do nothings" in a society with no jobs to aspire to.

Maybe they've all gone overseas~~
    Sandy

Comment

I work for a family like this...They have Greek names, maybe somewhere back in their heritage they are of Scots decent?
      I have never seen nor worked for anyone with the same drive and commitment this family has for success, and to top it off they are decent guys..
      Euan..

Comment

Aye Euan, sometimes the "drive" detracts from being personable. So I am glad that you are in contact with such people. Are they first generation Australians or are they in fact immigrants?

Sandy

Comment

Aye, it's usually the ones with "get up and go" who actually get up and go which is why they are often successful as migrants in their chosen country.:smile:

Elda

Comment

Hi Sandy, they are first generation Aussies, i have worked for them for just over 4 years and i can't say a bad word about them. In fact, when i had time of with Cancer a few years ago, the Managing Director called me and simply said go and get better, and don't worry about money. They paid me full wages for the 6 weeks i was off, and it didn't come out of my entitlements...
            At the time they had a staff of over 900 people,not bad for a family owed company.
            Now that i have muddied the waters,as this doesn't appear to have a Scottish connection now,were lucky this is ES, as going off topic is acceptable...:confused:
            Euan..

Comment

I agree with Elda on the Distinctive Character of the Scotsman .

A lot of get up and go.
              Marie

Comment

Working...
              X