Remembering 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering 911

As today the US is remembering the 911 attack I thought I'd mention that I did a page for the event which has become a permanent part of the site. You can view this at http://www.electricscotland.com/usa/terror_america.htm

Alastair

Re: Remembering 911

I remember this horrific event, as it happened.
    Looking at the screen of my new Mac...
    I thought at first, it was a scene from a new movie.
    Took me a few minutes to register that what was happening was all too real.

My son and his lady had only arrived from Scotland the day before.
    I had a fearful thought about their return home.
    Airport security would be stepped up, but someone could slip through that sieve and who knows what havoc they could wreak.

I searched for an answer to why!...people would cause such suffering to so many others.

I now think of the invasion of Iraq by the Bush/Blair brigade.

http://www.serendipity.li/cia.html

Comment

Thanks Alastair for posting it here.
      I saw it happen and thought a Plane took off to low from one the Airports in New York or Newark, New Jersey.
      But when the second Plane hit the Twin Towers I new we been bombed...
      Marie

Comment

I was working at my computer and got an email in saying stop what you are doing and turn on the TV news. I did that and I didn't get back to my computer until well into that evening. I was watching it when the second plane flew into the other tower. In fact it was another day until I got back to more normal work.

Alastair

Comment

I saw a documentary the other day.
          It was footage from ground level as the towers were burning.
          The cameraman kept focusing on the reaction of the people directly below the buildings.
          The just stared as if transfixed and unable to grasp the serious predicament that they themselves were in.
          I just wonder how many of them are still alive today.
          The scenes of the collapse were horrific and my stomach churned at what I saw on that footage.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of the latest plans for the building of an Islamic centre near ground zero.
          I'm sure it will certainly upset quite a few people.
          I also wonder how Obama's statement on the subject will influence the populace on the wisdom of his leadership.
          The world seems to be a scarier place to live in these days.

Comment

You ended by saying....
            "The world seems to be a scarier place to live in these days."

In the months just prior to WWll, who would have thought that, in 1940 London would be bombed, night after night ?

Even during WWll, in each country we wore uniforms, to let the opposition know at whom to shoot !! [other than resistance and underground forces].

Civil wars were different, example the Spanish government troops wore a uniform, but the others various types of clothing.

Now the passenger sitting next to you in a train, aircraft, bus, car or walking along a street, can be the enemy.

How many families nowadays 'dress' for the evening meal. Even many of our large shops, and banks etc permit staff to wear casual clothing.

It seems to me, that over the last 100 years, the word 'RESPECT' has lost its meaning.

Ranald
            Last edited by Ranald; 12 September 2010, 15:42. Reason: added section

Comment

I can't believe it's been 9 years. I was chatting in ICQ with Kathy Sutherland who lives in Buffalo (remember Kathy). She said to me to turn on my TV and I was actually watching too, like Alastair, when the 2nd plane hit. I remember sitting crying in disbelief, especially when the towers started to collapse.:shocked:

Elda

Comment

That tribute I posted has a few of the messages from our old Webboard and I think one was from you Elda.

Comment

Working...
                X