Burning the Koran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning the Koran

Given that the minister that threatened to burn the Koran apparently had only around 30 members of his church he sure got a huge amount of global publicity.

Some of you may know that I was brought up in Kuwait and I remember that I received a short course about living in a Muslim country. This was to tell you about things you should know and things to be sensitive about. Like in the time of Ramadan when the Muslim community would fast from day break to day end we were advised not to eat or drink during these times in public.

The Muslim countries are very old in culture and tradition and I've always been sad that we don't get on better with them.

I noted one interview with a Muslim in America where he pointed out that their mosque had collected a lot of clothes for the victims of the Katrina disaster but of course things like that are never covered in the media.

It does seem to me that the media has to take it's share of the blame for intolerance as they always seek the sensational.

Mind you it is hard to sit back and see the extreme views of people of all religions like the extreme Muslims that refuse to let their girls have an education. But do we really understand what actually happens in their religion?

Like today there is still a big discussion going on about letting women become ministers.

There is also a lot of interesting information on the Bible that is not generally known. I mean someone somewhere decided what would go into the Bible and what wouldn't.

In our own Religion section of the site I have made available...

Forbidden Gospels and Epistles (An e-text)
    Ten Great Religions - An Essay in Comparative Theology (An e-text)
    The Koran (An e-text)
    The Woman's Bible (An e-text)

I've always believed in freedom of Religion and I think the better we are informed the better will be our understanding and tolerance.

You can get to our Religious section at http://www.electricscotland.com/bible/

Alastair

Re: Burning the Koran

Allie,

I will be very frank here, I was horrified to read what Jones was going to try and do. I have been going at it tooth and nail with some American friends.

Right now, I am so ashamed to be a Southern Belle. I cannot believe the ignorance of these millions of people. The Muslim beliefs are very ancient and in line with our Old Testament teachings. The propaganda proposed by these Southern regimes is complete extremist. I do not agree or support such conduct.

What is such a shame, most of these Americans who are ranting and raving have never been outside the USA or even their own home state. I keep reminding these people, prayer was taken out of schools in 1977, the year I entered 9th grade, over here, my children pray two and three times a day at school.

This is proof, the old Puritan beliefs are still very strong in the States. It is so sad because there is so much to learn if one gets past the hate!
    Last edited by Kelly d; 13 September 2010, 04:24. Reason: proper English
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

There is (and has been)extremism in all religions,along with intolerance, misunderstandings, and plain old misguided hatred.I think this world would be a better and more peaceful place without it.
      Euan..

Comment

I just saw a news item on BBC where the Christians are being attacked as the Muslims don't want them to pray on certain ground. Apparently there used to be great tolerance for each others religion but no longer. I can't now remember which country this was in. I also note in Beirut there used to be a great Christian enclave but that is dwindling away. Likewise in Turkey. There has to be something wrong with the Muslim religion if they won't tolerate other religions. What was that saying? "There are many doors to my fathers house?" or something like that.

Comment

I presume you are refering to The Gospel according to St John....

John 14 2

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I
          would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

John 14 3

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again,
          and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

John 14 4

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Ranald

Comment

That's the one Ranald. I always took that as there are many ways to get to heaven.

Alastair

Comment

Brisbane atheist burns Koran and Bible Courtney Trenwith
              September 13, 2010
              Brisbane Times

A Brisbane university lawyer expects to be sacked after posting a video of himself burning the Koran and Bible online.

Queensland University of Technology employee Alex Stewart has taken leave from his non-academic position as a commercial contracts lawyer.

The university is investigating the video in which Mr Stewart appears to smoke marijuana rolled in pages from the religious texts, before rating which "burns better".

The homemade video was posted on video sharing website YouTube on Friday.

Widespread criticism of the clip led The Islamic Association of Australia this morning to call on Muslims to remain calm.

The Catholic Church, QUT and the Queensland Law Society also have condemned the clip.

The video followed international outrage at a firebrand US pastor who threatened to burn 200 Korans to mark the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

the full story is at the link http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...57ao.html#poll

Comment

The pressure builds on Facebook. I had to take some of those radicals off of my posting boards. They began to call me an American hater amoungst other names.

I do not hate, my grandmother taught me years ago prejudice and hatred were not acceptable. She also taught me, a good Christian is one who can prove they are Christians by actions not words. I try very hard to live by her teachings every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                  That's the one Ranald. I always took that as there are many ways to get to heaven.

Alastair
                  Hi Alastair

Just found this in Wikipedia, when searching for definition for 'mansion'.

Bearing in mind, that history indicates Christ and the Romans were of the same era, the Roman words 'stopping place on a Roman road' seems to me to be the key to the Bible quotation to which you referred.

<quote starts>
                  In the Roman Empire, a mansio was an official stopping place on a Roman road, or via, where cities sprang up, and where the villas of provincial officials came to be placed.
                  <quote ends>

Also 'villas of provincial officials' could be a significant phrase.

Ranald

Comment

Last night my father phoned me from Texas. He is getting up there in age and was discussing with me the turmoil the people of the USA are in. He gave me homework. He said, "Psalms chapters 5 and 6 have the answers." I have read it twice from my old KJV Bible. I wanted to ask you guys opinion of those chapters. Please? Thanks.

Comment

"Psalms chapters 5 and 6 have the answers."
                      Dad phoned back just a bit ago. He meant Song of Solomon Chapter 1. Wow what a great reading! I recommend all to read it for historical and possible DNA links.

Thanks.

Comment

I do not see the connection with 'Burning the Koran' ....... Song of Solomon is blind love or perhaps infatuation.....

Comment

It has to do with Solomon proclaiming he is Black and for the fair maidens not to hate him because he is Black. He proclaims his own Sisters rebuked him because he was different from them.

The Burning of the Koran is a statement against Obama for one being Muslim and two having a father who is Black and a citizen of the UK.

Comment

OK I thought it 'might' be the reason, but thanks for confirming.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                            X