The Homecoming Scotland 2014 official page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Homecoming Scotland 2014 official page

Home PageNewsHomecoming Scotland 2014 Scotland is to stage a second year of Homecoming in 2014, it has been confirmed.
    The event will coincide with the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup, as well as the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn.

Scotland is to stage a second year of Homecoming in 2014, it has been confirmed.
    The event will coincide with the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup, as well as the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn.

The 2009 year-long event marked the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns and attracted 95,000 new visitors to Scotland.

Scotland’s first minister, Alex Salmond made the announcement earlier this week:

"In 2014 the eyes of the world will be on Scotland as the Commonwealth Games comes to Glasgow and Gleneagles hosts the Ryder Cup and Scots at home and abroad mark the anniversary of Bannockburn. In this year of celebration, repeating the remarkable success and benefits of Homecoming 2009 is an excellent opportunity to attract tourism and investment and showcase the very best of Scotland.

Dr Mike Cantlay, Chairman of VisitScotland, said:

“ The success of last year’s Homecoming sparked huge interest in people all over the world, not only those with ancestral links to Scotland, but those who simply love this country. Whichever country visitors are travelling from in order to enjoy the wide-ranging celebrations in 2014, they can be guaranteed the warmest possible welcome to these shores and I have no doubt they will leave with memories they will treasure forever.”

More details on the year of celebration are to follow. Keep informed through our regular AncestralScotland enewsletters and by checking our news stories on the site.

Key Dates:

The 700th anniversary of Bannockburn - 23rd and 24th June 2014

The Commonwealth Games - 23rd July - 3rd August 2014

The Ryder Cup - Autumn 2014 - dates to be confirmed

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/newsarticles/3305677/
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: The Homecoming Scotland 2014 official page

At least the powers that be are using modern methods this time round Kelly:
    http://homecomingscotlandblog.blogsp...test-news.html

Comment

I am very greatful they are! I am also very excited about it. I want to attend the lectures pertaining to John Knox. I have plans on going and hopefully I will have a history buddy to go with when 2014 gets here!

Comment

What is the difference from Homecoming Scotland and Homecoming Scotland II?

We should have learned from our mistakes: Have we?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...d.html#9033519

Key Dates from Kelly which, perhaps, we should promote even more under the umbrella of Homecoming Scotland:

The 700th anniversary of Bannockburn - 23rd and 24th June 2014.
        The (20th) Commonwealth Games - 23rd July - 3rd August 2014.
        The (40th) Ryder Cup - Autumn 2014 - dates to be confirmed.
        The 200th anniversary of the first publication of Walter Scott's Waverley Novels - July 7 1814.
        The 800th anniversary of the death of King William I (Lion) at Stirling Castle - December 4 1214.
        The 800th anniversary of King Alexander II being crowned at Scone - December 6 1214
        Last edited by Aulyin; 20 October 2010, 08:39. Reason: added information

Comment

Post number 11 on the TripAdvisor page sounds familiar Alastair:
          "If VisitScotland would care to make their advertising videos easily accessible, entertaining, and downloadable by the public once more, I'm sure between us we could make it viral. Aye this internet is a powerful tool in the right hands." Purple Celtic
          http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...-Scotland.html

LET'S KEEP THE POT BOILING FOLKS!!!!!

Comment

On Oct 21, 2010, Purple Celtic, Destination Expert for South Ayrshire wrote on TripAdvisor:
            If VisitScotland would care to make their advertising videos easily accessible, entertaining, and downloadable by the public once more, I'm sure between us we could make it viral. Aye this internet is a powerful tool in the right hands.
            http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...-Scotland.html
            Isn't that the same as Kelly and Alastair have been saying here for months?

Join their conversation!!!

Comment

Personally speaking I'd like to see Scotland fork out for a fifth wheeler painted in Scottish colours and then hire a couple of young folks... or even retired folks... to travel around North America visiting Highland Games. When they arrive at the games they could also arrange to give a talk to the local chamber of commerce. It would also server as a moving billboard and likely seen by millions as they move around.

Alastair

Comment

Allie,

You have a great idea to a promote 2014! Another good idea is to get to all the Benevolent Societies, ie: NSDAR, UDC, Colonial Dames involved. Look at how many of the original settlers of America and Canada were Scottish. I know Canada has some terrific benevolent societies. We know the ladies of all these societies are powerful because of the numbers! Getting news to the big libraries such as the LDS, Ft Worth, Springfield IL etc is another great way because they post out to all the genealogy societies.

Comment

Working...
                X