Sullivan Ross - Zorra's Piper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sullivan Ross - Zorra's Piper

At our Board of Directors Meeting on October 6, 2010, I gratefully accepted a copy of Sullivan Ross Volume I from David Hunter (Director, Past President, Webmaster and Newsletter Editor of the Scottish Studies Foundation) on behalf of the Clan Ross Association of Canada, Incorporated. Our Association would appreciate any further information about living descendants of Sullivan Ross (Zorra's Piper) and his Collection of Violin and Bagpipe music held by the curators at the Canadian Museum of Civilization.

We thank all who have contributed to the preservation of the work of Sullivan Ross and we appreciate the announcement which was included with the 144-page Hardcover facsimile edition. Our association will be pleased to add the name of Sullivan Ross to our growing list of famous Canadians in our Clan. A copy of the first paragraph in the announcement is included here in order to underscore Sullivan's importance, as follows: "The Sullivan Ross Collection of Violin and Bagpipe music, now in the Canadian Museum of Civilization, is a unique window into the music of the rural southern Ontario of 1850 to 1900. It includes four books of music handwritten by Sullivan Ross during those years – a total of 490 pages, containing about 1300 tunes (volumes 2, 3 and 4 have pipe music only). Most of the tunes have been arranged by Sullivan, many of them extensively; these pages describe the way he played them. At least six of the pipe tunes are his own compositions – he is believed to be the first Canadian composer of bagpipe music. Also in the collection is Sullivan's copy of the Donald Macdonald 1831 printed book of bagpipe music, which is the only known surviving copy of its edition."

Re: Sullivan Ross - Zorra's Piper

Hello. My name is Terry Kittmer,from the "Lanark Highlands"north of Perth ,Ontario,a distant relative of John Ross.I lived and farmed near Harrington not far from where John and Sullivan farmed,I recently visited the Museum of Civilization and viewed the violin made by Sullivan in their exhibit.A very nice piece of work.Also they are going to copy some of his pipe tunes for me as I play with"the Riverthieves"near Ottawa,a celtic group consisting mostly of military members.Hopefully we will soon be adding Sullivans tunes to our repertoire.I have a magazine article,as well as pictures from the Museum if anyone is interested(and if I can figure out how to add them to the blog)Have a wonderful day! Robbie Burns day is near.Cheers.
    Terry www.terrykittmer.com

Comment

Hello Terry and your are very welcomed here

I have looked at your web site, and most impressed with your workmanship. Not many with your standard nowadays.

I have a second cousin, with similar interest, working near Jedburgh in the Scottish borders.

http://www.realwoodstudios.com/Home.html

You did not say which instrument you play, but might like a look at a video (Gordon's Acoustic Living Room: Lost On The Bayou) here in the 'Music' forum in section '5'.

Nice to have a craftsman on board.

Regards

Ranald

Comment

I just noticed the reference to Zorra and thought I'd mention that we have "Pioneer Life in Zorra" By Rev W. A. MacKay, (1899) on the site at...

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/zorra/

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Kittmer View Post
          Hello. My name is Terry Kittmer,from the "Lanark Highlands"north of Perth ,Ontario,a distant relative of John Ross.I lived and farmed near Harrington not far from where John and Sullivan farmed,I recently visited the Museum of Civilization and viewed the violin made by Sullivan in their exhibit.A very nice piece of work.Also they are going to copy some of his pipe tunes for me as I play with"the Riverthieves"near Ottawa,a celtic group consisting mostly of military members.Hopefully we will soon be adding Sullivans tunes to our repertoire.I have a magazine article,as well as pictures from the Museum if anyone is interested(and if I can figure out how to add them to the blog)Have a wonderful day! Robbie Burns day is near.Cheers.
          Terry www.terrykittmer.com
          G'Day Terry:
          David Ross, Sullivan's great-grandson, would enjoy hearing from you. The contact information is at the bottom of my webpage. If you wish to send your pictures from the museum, I would enjoy posting those which add to Sullivan's story.

Comment

I have in my posession a violin belonging to my father who would be 96 years old if he was still living. It is in beautiful condition as it was my father's pride and joy. He purchased it many years ago from two older gentlemen whom my father said he had met as a child when admiring the same violin. Whether this is true I cannot verify. However, my father was born in Stratford and lived for the greater part of his life in Woodstock, Ontario. In examining this violin I found a piece of paper glued inside the violin which reads: repaired by Sullivan Ross, Harrington 1898. After researching the name Sullivan Ross and learning who he was I am determined to find out more about this violin. I could take pictures and post them. Thank you Keren Boulianne

Comment

Originally posted by Keren Boulianne View Post
              I have in my posession a violin belonging to my father who would be 96 years old if he was still living. It is in beautiful condition as it was my father's pride and joy. He purchased it many years ago from two older gentlemen whom my father said he had met as a child when admiring the same violin. Whether this is true I cannot verify. However, my father was born in Stratford and lived for the greater part of his life in Woodstock, Ontario. In examining this violin I found a piece of paper glued inside the violin which reads: repaired by Sullivan Ross, Harrington 1898. After researching the name Sullivan Ross and learning who he was I am determined to find out more about this violin. I could take pictures and post them. Thank you Keren Boulianne
              G'Day Keren:

The gt-grandson of Sullivan Ross might appreciate photo as an attachment to an email. Contact information is at the bottom of my summary at http://www.ross-ter.com/SullivanRoss.html.

I know that Sullivan worked on violins and may even have repaired them. I am sure that the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec, might be able to verify your account about the piece of paper in your possession.

Thank you for your interest.

Comment

P.S. Don't forget to get back to this thread when you have time . . . particularly if you have followed up on your post here.

Comment

We would certainly appreciate a picture of either the violin or the message.

Cheers,
                  Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Ross-ter View Post
                    G'Day Keren:

The gt-grandson of Sullivan Ross might appreciate photo as an attachment to an email. Contact information is at the bottom of my summary at http://www.ross-ter.com/SullivanRoss.html.

I know that Sullivan worked on violins and may even have repaired them. I am sure that the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec, might be able to verify your account about the piece of paper in your possession.

Thank you for your interest.

Please post your information. I'll include it with the original data on the Clan Ross Canada website.

Cheers,
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    X