Bitter Taste of Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter Taste of Reality

The economy cannot be to blame for prejudice.

When I brought Bill home to get the medical he so badly needed, I never dreamed I would have so many mountains to climb.

As a southern belle, I was raised on my hillbilly beliefs of the UK being our mother country and we must always show respect to her.

I have struggled for a few years to obtain a good paying job. I was used to earning a good wage and thought I could do the same here in Great Britain as I did back home.

Reality hit me hard these past two weeks when someone I had met from Durham County told me how very prejudice the English are against Americans. I asked this person, are the Scots prejudice too?

This person did not care one bit about the Scots. The person had been in the British Army, had a long time career with the Army Cadets but was a hateful person. Basically informed me, I don't stand a chance in the UK because I am American.

I have been struggling with living in the North East of England ever since I arrived but this is the first time someone actually came out, very bluntly, stating I would never have a chance.

Yesterday, my mother insisted I move back home as soon as Bill passes away. I became very upset because my work isn't finished. I want to finish my KT theory. I just feel at wits end because I cannot or will not believe all the UK is so prejudice against Americans.

The way things have been and seem to be going, there has to be something wrong.

I just wanted to share this with you guys. I believe I would be much better in Scotland but cannot go until Bill is gone. Bill had always said, you are Scottish even if you were born in American and they will always welcome you home. Was he right or just being kind?
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Bitter Taste of Reality

A lot of people are just small minded Kelly and I can't promise it will be any different in Scotland although I hope it would be. I've read so many comments over the years that reflect local Scottish sentiments and they are often hugely different to what you find from Scots overseas.

I once wrote an article saying that the Scots are alive and well but living in America.

There was an article saying that while there are 5 million Scots living in Scotland there are 50 million people of Scots descent living in the world. I would have to say of those 5 million Scots likely at least 1 million are of other ethnic groups. I know there are reported to be 144,000 people of Polish descent living in Scotland.

Alastair

Comment

Kelly,
      I've always said that everyone should be required to live for at least 1 year in a country other than that of their birth. If nothing else, you learn a lot of tolerance and that there are other ways of doing things than practised in your home country.

People who have never left their homeland or lived anywhere else can be very insulated and ignorant of customs in other countries. These are the people who are prejudiced because they don't know any better. Any intelligent, thinking person judges each person on their merits regardless of nationality, colour or race.

I think it was very brave of you to uproot your family and take them to live in a strange country.

Elda

Comment

Kelly,

Don't be put off by the comments of the minority, no matter where you travel or in what community there are always going to be the "naysayers", everyready to discriminate against an "Incomer", more often than not it is in reality the political system of the country of origin of 'the new kid on the block' rather than the individual themselves that is the cause of their discrimination. The old adage of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", is sometimes the cause when the "new kid" proudly boasts (sometimes mistakenly or by accident) how "We do that differently where I come from".

If you count the number of visitors from the US of A over the years to such events as the Edinborough Tattoo, Homecoming Scotland etc., you would probably not find too many (hopefully) that felt unwelcome or unwanted in the land of their forefathers.

Take heart lass, ignore the "naysayers" and I am sure you will find many friends whichever area you may decide to settle in.

Gordon :redrose:

Comment

Thanks you guys!

I haven't given up because I am still going to class to be a registered childminder. I am bound and determained to make this work so I can go to Scotland on short trips to do research or just have fun. I know we have always been treated very well in Aberdeen but it is because I can state for a fact, one of my grandparents came from there. I haven't had a chance to go to Western Scotland but I must and this is what keeps me going.

It does get very lonely but at least, I do still have my kids and grandkids.

Thanks again!

Comment

Kelly this is such an emotional thread you have started and find it so difficult to believe that you were met with such venom. I can't speak for all Scots but I will say this - I have known you for such s short time and although we have never met I feel that you are a warm and sincere person. I love Scotland and couldn't ever imagine living anywhere else and I'm sure that if you were to come here you will feel 'at home'. Please don't be upset by a small minority of bigots.

Life is a struggle and with close friends you can overcome that struggle. (After all - where you lived they hanged a monkey as a traitor! What does that tell you? lol )

Comment

Kelly, this is just a bit off track, but in the same vein. I moved from a small town in SE Indiana, out to the country, to a smaller village, based around a Catholic church. (same town on address, though) I felt that I had come from a different world. Lived here in my own home for 23 years, and have come to the conclusion that because I am "divorced" that the Catholic community is not welcoming. I do know a few people, but it's not like living in a larger town, for instance, like Dayton, Ohio. (I lived there for most of my school years, and was born there, and still feel "at home" there.) However, have found that living in Indiana is cheaper on the cost of living, such as real estate taxes, and so forth, than OHIO. On the other hand, as Gordon stated. & Elda, there's always someone in a community that is a naysayer. I lived all over the world, & the USA, & I don't exactly fit in in a smaller minded area, I guess. Not sure if this helps or not, but, I believe all in all, one has to choose for themselves. You need to weigh all the pros & cons. And for you, you will make the right decision. Joan

Comment

When I purchased my house in Chatham I didn't know anyone in the area at all. And due to the fact I work from home I don't actually get to meet many people as I don't go out that often unless for things like grocery shopping, etc. In fact even after 5 years or so here I can still get lost driving around the area.

Alastair

Comment

I was raised a military brat then spent ten years in the military after completing my education (yes in spite of my frequent typos, I have some education). This resulted in opportunities to live all over the world. Growing up during the cold war era I managed not to become too pessimistic. It was my experience in the south pacific, Central America, Europe and the Middle East, that I ran into more decent people than not.

I would agree with Gordon's comment. The Scots I met in the Army were a good bunch. In fact, in a military conflict involving multiple militaries, having scots on one flank or another would be a good thing. I even had a number of positive experience with Britons. The French could be very decent or sometimes not (not too different from Americans). The Germans were very formal and polite but when they discovered I was more interested in seeing the bergs than the bistros, were more than willing to play tour guide to show off out of the way military castles.

For Alastair, I hope you get the opportunity to meet your neighbors. It has been my experience that Canadians are among the most polite and decent residents on the North American continent.

Comment

I have met my neighbours and when I sit out on the porch in the good weather there are quite a few who stop by for a chat.

Alastair

Comment

because I am "divorced" that the Catholic community is not welcoming
                      Freida,

I met two people from Ayr Scotland, who are from the Catholic background. They are both actually what Americans would call Scots Irish because they are born in Ayr but their parents are Irish. They explained to me the division in Scotland even to this day. A Celtic fan means you are Catholic and Ranger fan you are Protestant. This is how the country actually divides it people.

I told them, I don't have to worry because I am not a 'footie' fan per say so I do not have to say what my religion is in public.

I did notice a huge difference between East and West cultures in the Upper and Middle Low Lands of Scotland!

Comment

Kelly the "country" does not divide its people...
                        it is also a generalisation to use football support as a defining standard. I know people who support both teams and they do not all follow that "rule'
                        BTW if you study the history of many of the English teams you will see similar origins...
                        The Catholic / Protestant divide is mostly a West of Scotland situation - historically where most of the people of irish background live. Not all Scots irish are of Catholic background. One of my sets of GGParents came from Ireland and they were Protestant. (Part of the Scots Diaspora in the 1600's and later).

I have friends from many faith backgrounds and in my experience this is true of most people. Bigots will always exist but they are usually in the minority and should be recognised for what they are. Don't judge a country and its people by a few disgruntled ones.
                        If you go to Scotland and open discussions like these expect to be treated as a "visiting Yank"...

Sandy

Comment

Sandy,

I didn't open this conversation, the person asked me. I told them I am not a footie fan and it led to the discussion above. I don't pay attention to English teams either but I am sure there is the same difference.

Personally, I don't like to discuss religion in public because that is one way to get walloped. I still noticed a big difference from Glasgow and Edinburgh. The accents are completely different as are most of the houses.

The people are still lovely people!

Comment

Hi Kelly,
                            an old adage is to never discuss politics or religon. What would life be without a good argument~~~
                            Yes indeed Glasgow and Embra are very different places and to quite an extent so are the people.

Accents change all over the country, I am sure you will have noticed that in England. There are not so many as there used to be and I suppose TV has a lot to answer for...

I am not clear whether you are yet to go to Ayr and Burns' Country. Is that later in the year?

Looks as though there were some "characters" at the castle.
                            Sandy

Comment

Sawney,

I started out to stay in Ayr until Tuesday the 29th but it didn't work out. All I got to see is the train station and Wallace Clock Tower. I want to take the children back possibly over Easter if I can afford it to stay at the caravan park. I have so much research to do! I loved seeing the North Atlantic and those Mountains sticking up from the Ocean! I was told, you can actually see Ireland from a point in Ayr!

I hope you liked the pictures!
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X