Another Great Day For Canadian Scots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Great Day For Canadian Scots

I just received another email message yesterday.

James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, announced on October 21, 2010, that the Government of Canada now officially recognizes April 6 as Tartan Day.

Senator John Wallace (Saint John, NB) introduced Bill S-222 in the Senate on June 22 of 2010 and spoke to it during September when it was passed in both houses.

This completes the goal of Jean Watson of Nova Scotia, the "Mother of Tartan Day".

Re: Another Great Day For Canadian Scots

Doug, Jean and ALL the others

Well done.... it was worth the battle.

Ranald

Comment

We are still working to get a Canadian tartan recognized by the "Feds". Our Clan Ross commissioner for Ontario has been wearing one for several years.

Comment

Good for you Doug and the others.
        Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Marie View Post
          Good for you Doug and the others.
          Thanks Marie. The tartan is called the "Maple Leaf" tartan, I believe . . . and it is only a matter of time before it is approved for Canadians.

Comment

Ross-ter: "The tartan is called the "Maple Leaf" tartan, I believe"

There are a number of excellent Provincial tartan designs in Canada. For my favorites, it would be a toss up between the Alberta and Nova Scotia Tartans.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_tartans_in_Canada

Comment

Hi Miolchu:

The Provincial tartan designs have never truly caught on, but I think that the Nova Scotia tartan is a winner also. The Maple Leaf tartan for Canada has some support.

Comment

The Maple Leaf Tartan is now an official symbol of Canada . . . joining the Maple Leaf and the Coat of Arms at national emblems as of March 9, 2001. Heritage Minister James Moore’s announcement appears in today’s newspapers (March 10, 2011). Congratulations go ti the Federation fot Scottish Culture in Nova Scotia and others for making this possible!

Comment

Thanks Doug for letting us know that,

The Maple Leaf Tartan is now an official symbol of Canada
                  Marie

Comment

I received the following description from Susan R. Bernard, M.A., Program Officer for State Ceremonial and Corporate Events at the Department of Canadian Heritage of the Government of Canada, together with a sample of the tartan:

The Maple Leaf Tartan
                    The colours of the maple leaf through the changing seasons became the basis for the tartan designed by David Weiser in 1964 in anticipation of Canada's centennial celebrations in 1967. Known as the Maple Leaf Tartan, the pattern incorporates the green of the leaves' summer foliage, the gold which appears in early autumn, the red which appears with the coming of the first frost, and the brown tones of the fallen leaves.

Actually, the Maple Leaf Tartan has a history of over 45 years. The Second Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment Pipes and Drums adopted the tartan and the Canadian National Defence Headquarters approved its use by other pipers and drummers in the Armed Forces (if they had no other specific affiliation). Also, you may have noticed that the Maple Leaf Tartan was featured in costumes worn in 2010 during the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

Our Ontario Commissioner for Clan Ross Canada was wearing a Maple Leaf Tartan kilt when I first met her many years ago!

Comment

Thanks Doug, for showing us the Clan Ross Canada Maple Leaf Tartan!
                      Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Marie View Post
                        Thanks Doug, for showing us the Clan Ross Canada Maple Leaf Tartan!
                        Your interest is very much appreciated, Marie. The effort to establish recognition of our Scottish contribution across Canada has had support from many sources and many communities. The next Tartan Day event and "Scot of the Year" presentation on April 5, 2011, should be very interesting. Patricia and I will be attending with our son Rob.

Comment

Working...
                        X