The Wonder Book of Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wonder Book of Soldiers

I'd like to thank Jim & Sheena Menzies for lending me this book to scan in for the site. The book is intended for Boy and Girls and thus almost every page has a picture on it. I suspect even the older kids will enjoy this book.

I've now scanned it into a pdf file (around 23Mb) and you can download it at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...reg/wonder.htm

Alastair

Re: The Wonder Book of Soldiers

Alastair,

A great book for the young and the "Not so Young" .
    It's surprising the amount of historical information these books contain.

I'm fortunate that I also have a copy of this book (in good condition) given to my father as a Christmas present in 1919 (or thereabouts) by his parents..

I also have the companion volumes..................

"The Wonder Book of the Navy"

and

"The Wonder Book of Railways"

If you were able to obtain them they would also be a great addition to the archives......both contain many illustrations/photographs and colour plates.

Very educational for the young to illustrate how things were done in ......

"The Olden Days" :smile:

Gordon.

Comment

The Wonder Book of Railways, is available from many sellers.....

There are two on offer, but no date on the book, but thought to be about 1920. I think about £10 to £20.

There also seems to be many editions, even within 2000, and NO originals offered. !

As one was offered at £1 with £3.45 postage, I have sent for it, and will get back to you to see if it is anything like the one you have.

If yes, then I may scan it, and send it to Alastair.

Several of those offered are not listed in even 'good' condition.....

The one I ordered could be here before the end of the week....

Ranald
      Last edited by Ranald; 1 November 2010, 12:36. Reason: empty last line - spelling

Comment

It does take time to scan these in and I did it over the Saturday and Sunday. A lot of the pictures were rather faint so after each scan I did enhance the pictures so I guess that is why it took a while to do it. Bit of a problem with the double page pictures but I scanned them in such a way that they could be joined together if anyone wanted to go to that bother.

I'd certainly like to do the other books.

Alastair

Comment

Thanks for giving the info on this book and posting the link to see it. It was the link that enabled me to verify it was what I have been looking for. I used to own the book until we left Hull, England, for Canada. I had to give it to a friend because we just could not afford the extra weight.

Comment

I'd forgotten about doing that book but glad you found it useful. I note I said I'd check out other books in the series and so I likely need to re-visit that to see if there is anything else I should do.

Alastair

Comment

I also forgot about the message I put in about purchase of the Railway book.... It could not be delivered, as he seller had not updated his files, which showed it had already been sold !

There are still some sellers offering the railway book, but most seem to be newer dated publications.

Ranald

Comment

stevehook12

Thanks Alastair.. Really did a great job ..Can you please inform me about next book? Stay Blessed
                college textbooks

Comment

Working...
                X