Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skye Bridge - Road Tolling or Mafia Loan Sharking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skye Bridge - Road Tolling or Mafia Loan Sharking?

I read a very interesting account of double dealings and standards in connection with the Skye Road Bridge. You can see this account at http://www.firmmagazine.com/features...arking%3F.html

This is the inside story of the Skye Bridge tolls and the astonishing amount of illegality and secret deals, resulting in extortion and denial of rights of the Skye people, by a handful of senior civil servants and one government minister.

Alastair

Re: Skye Bridge - Road Tolling or Mafia Loan Sharking?

Politicians and contractors worldwide seem to work in strange and devious ways,
    maybe the good folk of Skye should have approached the Australian government,
    they gave $42.million for studies/construction/design for a "Friendship" bridge over the Mekong between Thailand and Laos between 1991-1994. (Initiated in 1989 by Labor PM Bob Hawke.

http://www.mekongexpress.com/laos/ar...saustralia.htm
    Now in 2010 (just announced) by our new illustrious Labor PM (who deposed the previous incumbent (Kevin 07 Rudd) the Australian taxpayer is going to fund over 5 years to the tune of $150 million another bridge over the Mekong.this time for Vietnam.

Comment

I was on Skye in 1996. We took the car ferry over but came back on the road bridge. I'm sure it was £5 (then). I remember thinking it was scandalous that the residents had to pay this and that it was incredibly expensive.

Elda

Comment

I also had to pay to get onto the Isle of Skye when I was there Elda. I took a picture of me paying the toll :-)

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X