History of the Gipsies
    The Long Glen
    Lays of the Covenanters
    The Scottish Reformation
    Essays of Hugh Haliburton
    History of Scotland
    Glencreggan: or A Highland Home in Cantire
    Fallbrook Farm Heritage Site
    Arran of the Bens, The Glens and the Brave (New Book)
    Harry Lauder
    Annals of Scottish Printing (Complete New Book)
    The Arniston Memoirs (Complete New Books)
    Robert Burns Lives!
    "The Cludgie Stane of Destiny”
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    The Wonder Book of Soldiers (Complete New Book)
    Sibbald's History & Description of Stirlingshire (Complete New Book)
    The Housing of Potato Diggers
    John's Scottish Sing-Along

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Well the good news this week is that we might at last have a chance to profile an area of Scotland. As you know I did my best to get something going with the Gairloch and Loch Maree area of Scotland but all we got was a deafning silence.

I am now hopeful that we'll be taking off with the Lossiemouth area of Scotland and already some locals have said they'll get involved.

This is a project I've wanted to do for some 15 years now so perhaps at long last we can show what is possible. I'll keep you up to date with developments as we are of course in the very early stages.

I have howerver started to build a page for the project which can be see at http://www.electricscotland.com/lossiemouth

-----

I did a major change to the site index page as I was coming to the conclusion that an awful lot of our content was hidden. So to that end I have reworked the index page to show in BOLD the main areas of the site but under each heading I have listed some of the major sub links that can be found in each section. Initial research seems to suggest that this has been a positive move as since I did it I've noticed a significant jump in our page views.

------

I know you are all a quiet lot out there but as always I'd enjoy some feedback from you. Not sure I should have said that mind you as any time I do say that I never get any feedback. Not sure if it is because you are all shy by nature but enough read the newsletter that you'd think a few of you might say something or suggest something or complain about something or indeed say something nice to bolster my spirits <grin>

-----

We've just had the local council elections in Canada and I note only some 36% of my local area bothered to vote. This seems to be a trend these days and so perhaps it's time to think on new ways to get people more engaged. I did try and learn some more about the various candidates and the first problem I had was that I didn't know what Ward I came under.

I then watched some of the question and answer sessions that the local council did on the local TV station. Each candidate was asked I think 5 questions and they got around 1 minute to respond. There were 3 such sessions to enable them to fit everyone in but I only managed to watch 1 of them. I will say a couple of them really did a very poor job of responding. On the whole I think this was a positive move but I wished they'd recorded them on the web so I could have gone online to see the other 2 sessions that I'd missed.

I never seem to have the time to read the local newspaper although I do try and read the free weekly one when it comes in just to get a sense of what is going on. Mind you if you are brought up in an area and go to school there then you'll know many people in the area and so local news is likely more relevant.

On reflection I'd like to have seen a leaflet from the local council that told me what ward I was in and listing the candidates. I'd also like to have been told about what session to watch on the local TV station as it was pure luck that I just happened to switch to that channel. And if with the leaflet we could have had a sales pitch from each candidate that would have had a good chance of me reading it and getting involved. And finally a reminder of where to go to vote would have been useful.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    When you read this newsletter and finished reading it you might go to the top of the page and click on "New Posts" which is on the sub menu bar. That will let you see all the new posts since you were last on. When you see the list of messages you'll note in the third column that it tells you who posted the message and beside the name is a little icon with >> in it. When you click on that small icon you go directly to that post. Should it then be of interest you can then scroll up to see what the previous message was about. The reason I mention that is that we have had some emails in saying that if the message flow is quite large it is taking you time to find the last few messages to read so this gets around this problem. It's actually the way I personally read the messages myself as any time I go in I always click on the "New Posts".

We got a very interesting and useful post in the Genealogy forum this week about Scottish Directories. As a result I've created a page at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...irectories.htm

This page has a link to a special index page on the Internet archive that currently holds some 516 of these directories.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org/forum.php

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue has been compiled by Jim Lynch the editor of the Scots Independent Newspaper. In there you can also read more about the proposed closure of the RAF base in Lossiemouth.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Christina McKelvie's weekly diary is available at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...lvie/index.htm

This weeks issue can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...vie/101104.htm

Book of Scottish Story
    ----------------------
    We've added "Catching a Tarta" which is the final story from this book and we'd like to thank John Henderson for working on this book for us.
    You can read this story at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...y/story133.htm

The other stories can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/story/index.htm

Scottish Loch Scenery
    ---------------------
    From drawings by A F Lydon with descriptive notes by Thomas A Croal (1882)

We completed this book by adding the final two chapters...

The Dhu Loch—Loch-na-gar
    The Cauldron Linn

You can read these and the other entries at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/lochs.htm

Geikie's Etchings
    -----------------
    This week we've added more articles...

Resting on the Road to Harvest
    Tam O' Shanter
    Tam O' Shanter and Souter Johnny

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ikie/index.htm

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

Assassination Of King James I - 1437

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Robert Chambers
    ---------------
    Robert Chambers is a famous author and publisher and we do carry a few of his publications on our site such as the 3 volume Domestic Annals of Scotland and his 4 volume Biographical Dictionary of Significant Scots.

John Henderson found his 2 volume Songs of Scotland which we both agree is a fabulous resource and so we are going to add this to the site in small chuncks in pdf format for you to enjoy.

This week we added...

Pages 299 to 318

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

Notes and Reminscences of Partick
    ---------------------------------
    By James Napier (1873)

This is another of those books that don't have any chapters and is around 300 pages. We're splitting this book up into a logical sequence of pdf files for you to read and will be easier to download. Partick is now a suburb of Glasgow.

We have up this week...

Part 9 (Pages 154 - 206)

This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/partick/

Travel Article
    --------------
    We have been getting in some wee articles from Holiday Cottages and you can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/travel/holidayndx.htm

The article this week is about Oban - The seafood capital of Scotland.

History of the Gipsies
    ----------------------
    By James Simson (1866)

All these chapters are a substantial read but certainly most interesting. There are a huge amount of footnotes in this publication so have done my best to incorporate them into the text.

This week we have added...

Chapter X - Present condition and number of the Gipsies in Scotland
    Disquisition on the Past, Present and Future of Gipsydom Part 1

Here is how chapter X starts...

Every author who has written on the subject of the Gipsies has, I believe, represented them as all having remarkably dark hair, black eyes, and swarthy complexions. This notion has been carried to such an extent, that Hume, on the criminal laws of Scotland, thinks the black eyes should make part of the evidence in proving an individual to be of the Gipsy race. The Gipsies, in Scotland, of the last century, were of all complexions, varying from light flaxen hair, and blue eyes, and corresponding complexions, to hair of raven black, dark eyes, and swarthy countenances. Many of them had deep-red and light-yellow hair, with very fair complexions. I am convinced that one-half of the Gipsies in Scotland, at the present day, have blue eyes, instead of black ones. According to the statistical account of the parish of Borthwick, Mid-Lothian, (1839,) the Baillies, Wilsons, and Taits, at Middleton, the descendants of the old Tweed-dale Gipsies, are described as, "in general, of a colour rather cadaverous, or of a darkish pale; their cheekbones high; their eyes small, and light coloured ; their hair of a dingy white or red colour, and wiry; and their skin, drier and of a. tougher texture than that of the people of this country." This question of colour has been illustrated in my enquiry into the history of the Gipsy language; for the language is the only satisfactory thing by which to test a Gipsy, let his colour be what it may.

In other countries, besides Scotland, the Gipsies are not all of one uniform swarthy hue. A Russian gentleman stated to me that many of the Gipsies in Finland have light hair, and fair complexions. I am also informed there are Gipsies in Arabia with fair hair.

Among many other mal-practices, the Gipsies have, in all countries, been accused of stealing children; but what became of these kidnapped infants, no one appears to have given any account, that I am aware of. To satisfy myself on this trait of their character, I enquired of a Gipsy the reasons which induced his tribe to steal children. He candidly acknowledged the practice, and said that the stolen children were adopted as members of the tribe, and instructed in the language, and all the mysteries of the body. They became, he said, equally hardy, clever, and expert in all the practices of the fraternity. The male Gipsies were very fond of marrying the stolen females. Some of the kidnapped children were made servants, or, rather, a sort of slaves, to the tribe. They considered that the occasional introduction of another race into their own, and mixing the Gipsy blood, in that manner, invigorated and strengthened their race. In this manner would the Gipsies alter the complexion of their race, by the introduction of foreign blood among them.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter10.htm

Other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gipsies/

The Long Glen
    -------------
    This is a story I found in old copies of the Celtic Magazine so I extracted it over a number of issues and now bring you the story.

This week we've added...

Chapter XXVIII - Friends in Council
    Chapter XXIX - The Pilgrimage to Kilmachaoide
    Chapter XXX - The Burnside Communion
    Chapter XXXI - Mr MacPhadrig
    Chapter XXXII - His Coadjutors

which completes this book.

The chapter on The Pilgrimage to Kilmachaoide starts...

THE muster place was at the cross roads, where at seven o'clock on a glorious morning, when woods and meads exhaled perfume, and wimpling burns crooned little anthems, several well-washed carts, provided each with a cushioned swing-seat, drew up in line, with Duncan Ban's brown mare leading. Ewan and Diarmad, representing revolt from family ecclesiasticism, came to this muster, driving each a paternal cart, and occupying a paternal seat. Ewan had, without any difficulty, persuaded his sister Jessie to come with him, but Diarmad had nobody to back him at all when he appeared on the scene. The three seanairean, with two old wives, some grandchildren, and Calum and his sister Meg, came in three carts. Iain Og and Shonnie and their old-mother caught up John the Soldier by the way, and brought him with them. Duncan Ban's vehicle was ridiculously overcrowded ; for he brought with him his son, son's wife, Mary, their grown-up daughter, and several younger children. The smith's cart was fully engaged for his own and the wright's belongings. The luadhadh spinster and widow, with the latter's boy and girl, came to the rendezvous on foot, and asking to be taken up. Being an unexpected reinforcement, they were received with a shout of welcome.

A redistribution of passengers being necessary, Ewan and the widow undertook to arrange things satisfactorily by fairly allotting the swing seats among the older people, and packing a few youngsters in the box-like vacuum behind each seat. When the procession was ready to start it could be seen that Mary Macintyre and the widow were under Ewan's care, and that the spinster and Jessie Cameron were passed over to Diarmad, doubtlessly in remembrance of the cliath.

Duncan Ban's warlike heart rejoiced. He wished he had a Lochaber axe, with a pennon floating from the steel head, to fix in the front of his cart. All unbidden the pibrochd. which defies the men of his own name, and the bald carles who sup sowens, to bar the way, came to his mind, and a parody of it gushed forth from his lips, to the horror of Iain Og, who was standing beside him at the moment, and who did not forget the day, and the object of the pilgrimage. And the unbidden parody was :—

Gabhaidh sinne 'n rathad mor, Olc air mhath le each e, Olc an mhath le Eaglais Shaoir, 'S le balaich chlaon an racain."

"Whist now! Whist now! You'll frighten folk with your pibrochd verses on the Sabbath," said Iain Og. "If Ealag stood in my brogues, you would not hear the end of it to your dying day."

You can read the rest of this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/longglen29.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/longglenndx.htm

Lays of the Covenanters
    -----------------------
    By James Dodds (1880)

This week we've added...

The Battle of Airsmoss
    Cargill taken Prisoner at Covington Mill, on the Clyde

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/covenanters/

The Scottish Reformation
    ------------------------
    A Historical Sketch by Peter Lorimer D.D. (1860)

As some of you will know there is to be a special celebration of the 450th anniversary of the Scottish Reformation during November in Scotland. I thought that this would be a good time to make this book available so you can read up on it.

We have up this week...

Chapter II.—The Wishart Period, a. d. 1543—1554

Section 8. English Invasion. Renewal of Persecution. The Reformation-Poets. 1547—1554

Chapter III.—The Knox Period, a. d. 1555—1560

Section 1. Visit of Knox to Scotland. 1555—1556
    Section 2. The First Protestant "Band." 1556—1558
    Section 3. First Petition of the Protestants to the Regent and their Protestation before Parliament 1558
    Section 4. Popular Tumults. The Reformation in Arms. 1559

In Chapter III section 1 it starts...

With the year 1555 commences the Knox period of the Scottish Reformation—its last and crowning stage. The Wishart period had closed in extreme apparent weakness and discouragement. After thirty years of conflict and suffering the reformers of Scotland were still without union as a party, and without organization as a power in the Church and the State. Their preachers were all in exile, and their leaders among the nobles reduced to silence and inaction. But with the reappearance of Knox upon the scene all this was speedily changed. His presence and power gave a new impulse to the cause, which immediately launched it upon a period of revival, of union, of organization, and of ultimate triumph.

Eight years had passed away since the surrender of the castle of St. Andrews, and to Knox they had been singularly full of incident and change. For twenty months he was kept a captive on board the French galleys, "lying in irons, miserably entreated, and sore troubled by corporal infirmity." Released at length in the spring of 1549, he gave the next five years of his life to the promotion of the Reformation in England, preaching for some time in Berwick, then in Newcastle, and afterwards, when he was made one of King Edward's six chaplains, in London, and various parts of the counties of Buckingham and Kent He was consulted by Cranmer and the other reforming bishops in the preparation of King Edward's Second Liturgy, and of the Articles of Religion, and might even have been promoted to the see of Rochester, if he had not been less solicitous of high place for himself than of a thorough reformation of the discipline of the Church. But he complained that no minister in England had authority to execute needful discipline, "to separate the lepers from the whole," which he accounted "a chief point of his office;" and he repeatedly declined to fill any other post in the Church than that of a preacher. Soon after the death of Edward, he left England and repaired to Geneva; and there he remained, he tells us, "at his private study" till he was called by the congregation of English refugees at Frankfort to be their preacher, "which vocation he obeyed (albeit unwillingly) at the commandment of that notable servant of God, John Calvin. At Frankfort he remained till that some of the learned," he continues, " more given to unprofitable ceremonies than to sincerity of religion, began to quarrel with him; and because they despaired to prevail before the magistrate there for the establishing of their corruptions, they accused him of treason committed against the emperor and against their sovereign, Queen Mary, because in his 'Admonition to England' he had called the one little inferior to Nero, and the other more cruel than Jezebel. The magistrates perceiving their malice, and fearing that he should fall into the hands of his accusers by one mean or by other, gave advertisement secretly to him to depart their city, for they could not save him if he were required by the Emperor, or by the Queen of England in the Emperor's name ; and so the said John returned to Geneva, and from thence to Dieppe, and thereafter to Scotland."

The time when Knox arrived in Edinburgh—about the end of September, 1555—was peculiarly favourable to the success of his visit The clergy had sunk into a state of false security, and were dreaming that heresy had been well-nigh extirpated from the land. The regency had recently passed into the hands of the Queen Dowager, Mary of Guise, whose political schemes made it necessary for her to pursue a temporizing policy with the Protestant lords, and to disguise for a time the hatred which she cherished, in common with all her family, to the doctrines and aims of the reformers. Just at that time, too, a number of the leading Protestants, including John Erskine of Dun, and William Maitland of Lethington, had gathered into Edinburgh to confer with and enjoy the ministrations of John Willock, who had been sent by the Duchess of East Friesland to the Scottish court on a commercial mission. But Willock's "principal purpose was to assay what God would work by him in his native country;" and the private meetings for prayer and exposition of the word which he had already held in Edinburgh, suggested a similar plan of usefulness to Knox.

This book is available at http://www.electricscotland.com/bibl...tion/index.htm

--------------------------
    I am extracting some of his essays that detail Scottish Life and Character from his various works. This week we've added...

St Valentine's Day
    All Fools' Day
    Poachers and Poaching

St Valentine's Day starts...

"Yestreen at the valentines' dealing
    My heart to my mou' gied a sten,
    For thrice I drew ane without failing,
    And thrice it was written—Tarn Glent"

The practice to which these well-known lines of Burns refer has clean passed away. It was common enough when they were written—now one hundred years ago—and in. rural districts of Scotland was probably universal. In these districts it has lingered longest; and there must be many old or elderly persons amongst us who remember in their youth taking part in the practice. The century, when it was still among the "thirties," looked with no disfavour upon the rustic merriment that attended a "valentines' dealing." But its own inventions and scientific discoveries, its projects and its anticipations, have had the effect of breaking its connection with many a traditional and time-honoured institution, of which the great annual lovers' festival of St Valentine's Eve was one. Nobody keeps vigil for the 14th of February now. The festival has gone even more clean and completely than its more antiquated but not more joyous sister institutions of Hallowe'en and Hogmanay. The favourite sports and customs of this inventive nineteenth century are almost entirely those of its own creation. It has broken with the mirth and sociality of the past more effectually than any of its predecessors.

You can read the rest of this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../valentine.htm

The other essays can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/haliburton

History of Scotland
    -------------------
    By Wm Robertson

This is part of the Works of Wm. Robertson and it's actually my intention to bring you all his works over time but to start we're doing his "History of Scotland" which got very favourable reviews at the time and so much so he was asked by the King to do a History of England.

The History is now going up and this week we've added...

Book 5 which starts in the year 1567.

These can be read, along with a small biography of him at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...on_william.htm

------------------------------------------
    By Cuthbert Bede (1861)

This week we put up Chapter VI - Dunaverty and its Traditions

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencreggan/

----------------------------
    We got in another update on this project (50) which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...llingbrook.htm

Arran of the Bens, The Glens and the Brave
    By MacKenzie MacBride FSA Scot (1911)

ARRAN

"Here, as of old, the dreaming hours fulfil
    Their ancient pledge, and flower in sunlit days
    Above thy pastoral slopes and wave-washed bays
    Where melody and colour merge and thrill.
    Thy chosen Priestess, Beauty, beckons still
    From whin-clad straths and heather-haunted ways,
    Or lies in wait along the scented braes,
    Or chains a leafy thought from hill to hill.

Bruce found a shelter, lovely Isle, in thee
    When o'er his head the cloud of menace rolled,
    He saw thy rock-strewn mountains tipped with gold
    When morning mounted sovran from the sea,
    And on thy bosom, fold on misty fold,
    Beheld her dew-stained garments floating free."
    Ferdinand E. Kappey.

This is a new book we're starting on with the first chapter up for you to enjoy.

We have a page of paintings of scenes of Arran at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/oldpics18.htm

This book can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/arran/

Harry Lauder
    ------------
    John Henderson decided we needed to place Harry in our Significant Scots section and also provide some of his songs for folk to listen to. This being the case we now have a page for him at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...uder_harry.htm

At the foot of the page are some links to additional information we have for him on the site and John is starting a special Tribute page for him where he's making available some of his poems. This page is at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...derson/lauder/

Annals of Scottish Printing
    From the Introduction of the Art in 1507 to the beginning of the seventeenth century by Robert Dickson L.R.C.S.E and John Philip Edmund

This just fills yet another wee gap in our knowledge and I have made available the Preface and a link to download the book in pdf format at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...h_printing.htm

The Arniston Memoirs
    --------------------
    Three centuries of a Scottish House 1571 - 1838, edited from Family Papers by George W T Omand.

Many years ago, in the course of some building operations, the Charter-Room at Arniston was dismantled. Its contents, consisting of charters, rent-rolls, leases, accounts, and valuable family papers, were placed on the floor of an attic where, for a long time, they lay in confusion, uncared for, and in constant danger of destruction. About twenty years ago Dr. William Fraser, who was then beginning those researches which have thrown so much fresh light on the family history of Scotland, was requested by Mr. Dundas to give his help in examining the Arniston papers. Dr. Fraser arranged the charters, making a copious inventory of them, in which everything of local or family interest was described. He also deciphered the old estate, family, and colliery accounts down to the middle of the seventeenth century. The results of Dr. Fraser's labours suggested the idea of a family history to Mr. Dundas, who accordingly proceeded to arrange the letters and estate accounts, and compile a narrative from them to be left in the Charter-Room at Arniston in manuscript for the private use of the family.

There had been no intention of publication; but friends who had an opportunity of examining the materials thus collected by Mr. Dundas were of opinion that they were worthy of preservation in a more permanent form; and I was requested to undertake the task of weaving them into a continuous narrative and editing the volume of family history which is now published under the name of the Arniston Memoirs.

As originally planned, the work included a memoir of Henry Dundas (the celebrated Viscount Melville), who was a younger son of the first President Dundas. But it became apparent, as the work proceeded, that a complete account of his career, which, in some of its most interesting and important aspects, was that of a British Minister, could not be given without entering upon a variety of subjects inconsistent with the scope of the present volume. It has, therefore, been decided to omit the correspondence at Arniston between Henry Dundas and his brother and nephew. This correspondence, which extends over a large part of his public life, together with the voluminous collection of papers at Melville Castle, will form the groundwork of a separate work on the Life of Henrv Dundas.

G. W. T. O.

May 1887.

This is yet another pdf file but have made avaiable scans of the Contents page so you can see for yourself the type of information provided in the book which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/pdf/arniston.htm

I should add that towards the foot of this page is another book about Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, Political manager of Scotland, statesman, administrator of British India by Furber, Holden, 1903.

Again I have ocr'd in an introduction and certainly a most remarkable man and thus excellent reading.

Robert Burns Lives!
    -------------------
    Edited by Frank R. Shaw, FSA Scot, Dawsonville, GA, USA

I learned about Professor Leith Davis from my good friend, Alastair McIntyre, High Chief of www.electricscotland.com. He told me about an unusually good article on Robert Burns written by Professor Davis and was kind enough to secure it from her and share it with me. As is the case with all good things I run across that have anything to do with Burns, I learned in a brief period of time that I wanted to share Professor Davis’ article with the readers of Robert Burns Lives! and introduce you to a unique and dedicated Burnsian. I found her to be as genuine as her article, humble when she could have been proud and arrogant. She is a person I’d like to meet personally and look forward to that day in the future. Perhaps being the mother of three children has something to do with her friendly personality. I have chosen to include her curriculum vitae at the end of the article to call attention to her many outstanding academic achievements. She is currently working on a two book projects: a collection of essays on "Robert Burns in Transatlantic Context" (co-edited with Sharon Alker and Holly Faith Nelson) and a monograph, Transnational Articulations: Print Culture and the Imagining of Global Communities in Britain and Ireland, 1690-1820. She is currently serving as Director of Simon Fraser University's Scottish Studies Centre.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/leith.htm

You can read other articles in this series at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

------------------------------
    By Robbie the Pict

Extract from the remarkable correspondence with authorities, in that delightful book by Robbie the Pict, which led to the UK Government returning the Stone of Destiny to Edinburgh, Scotland. The Stone, used in the coronation of Scottish Kings, was taken from Scone by Edward the First of England in 1296. Its return was agreed under the Treaty of Northampton 1328, but the English Government did not honour that treaty. It remained under the throne of England in Westminster Abbey until 1996.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...cles/stane.htm

-----------------------------
    Edited by Beth Gay

Since 1990, in one form and name*or another, this publication has been the hometown newspaper of the Scottish community. In print form, it was mailed to almost 100,000 readers primarily in the USA, but also in Scotland, Canada and all over the world.
    Today, it has evolved into an Internet only publication under the same editor that has worked with it since the beginning. A little different name, a new format - but the same interesting publication.

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree is filled with articles about things Scottish - from events in the USA to famous Orkadians and inside information on travel. You'll find articles of interest to genealogists and news of the Scots Clan organizations as well as Flowers of the Forest.*

This publication is*one where you can read about the latest goings on of your friends in the Scottish community and the*interesting things they are doing, the honors they've won and what's happening in their lives.

Best of all, this magazine is happy to publish stories about your clan, your genealogical group, your Highland games or your Celtic festival. Queries are free.**All you have to do is email bethscribble@aol.com

We now have the November 2010 issue up for you to enjoy and you can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft

The Wonder Book of Soldiers
    For Boys and Girls, Edited by Harry Golding

I'd like to thank Jim & Sheena Menzies for lending me this book to scan in for the site. The book is intended for Boys and Girls and thus almost every page has a picture on it. I suspect even the older children will enjoy this book.

I spent the weekend scanning in all the pages and created a pdf file to pull it all together. You can download it at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...reg/wonder.htm

Sibbald's History & Description of Stirlingshire
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ancient and Modern 1707

Ranald McIntyre had this book copied into a pdf file so he could provide a copy of it for our site and we're very happy that he did so and many thanks!

You can download this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...rlingshire.htm

By Margaret H. Irwin

The Housing in Rural Districts of workers both permanently and temporarily employed, is a subject which only emerges at lengthy intervals, and in a sectional form, when it happens that some organisation turns the searchlight on one or the other phase of it. Then we have pictures of a particularly lurid character thrown on the screen.

Recently the Miners, who have been renewing their efforts for the abolition of the old and insanitary dwellings which still disgrace certain Mining Districts, held the stage. Again, from time to time, the conscience of the public has been startled by revelations concerning the Bothy system and the Housing of Navvies.

All of these are really sections of the one great problem of Rural Housing (in the defects of which some persons see a contributory cause of the depopulation of the Highlands revealed by the recent census) and it would seem the time has now come when it might well be taken up and dealt with as a whole.

This is a short book which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...les/potato.htm

You may remember that John Henderson added 100 songs for us to enjoy and each song comes up with the text of the song while playing it in the background. (Note: This has always worked fine in the IE browser but they don't seem to play in either Firefox or Chrome for some reason yet to be discovered). John has sent us in a couple more songs this week...

The Midges
    Hame O' Mine

which actually brings us to 105 songs.

You can listen to these at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...son/singalong/

Got in Update 50, October 2010 update on activity which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...allbrook50.htm

And to finish...

Worry Lines

One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast on her brunette head. She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked,
    "Why are some of your hairs white, Mum?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or
    unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said, "Well Mum how is it that ALL of grandma's hairs are white?"

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend :-)

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter, November 5th 2010

Alastair,

I found the article in "The Flag in the Wind" on Willie McRae rather interesting; it seems ardent protestors against "things nuclear" attract a great deal of attention, not always of a sympathetic nature.

The following article which appeared in "The Herald" Scotland on EXCLUSIVE David Leask Investigations Reporter

4 Nov 2010

is sure to once more open the proverbial "can of worms"

‘Security service tailed SNP activist on day of his death’

"One night we had been told to stay away from his office in Bath Street, which had been broken into several times. What happened that day will always be imprinted in my memory" Donald Morrison

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...eath-1.1065975

"The Flag" and Christina McKelvie's Diary are "must reads" for me every week. :smile:

Gordon.

Comment

There is certainly some good stuff in both publications Gordon and as you say well worth a read. I sometime wish I had more time to just read instead of publishing as while I do read while publishing I'm more focussed on trying to spot errors.

Alastair

Comment

Well done. That must have been a tiring weekend. It looks good. Jim Menzies

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        CONTENTS
        --------
        Electric Scotland News
        The Flag in the Wind
        Book of Scottish Story
        Scottish Loch Scenery
        Geikie's Etchings
        Robert Chambers - Songs of Scotland
        Travel article
        History of the Gipsies
        The Long Glen
        Lays of the Covenanters
        The Scottish Reformation
        History of Scotland
        Arran of the Bens, The Glens and the Brave (New Book)
        Harry Lauder
        Annals of Scottish Printing (Complete New Book)
        The Arniston Memoirs (Complete New Books)
        Robert Burns Lives!
        The Wonder Book of Soldiers (Complete New Book)
        Sibbald's History & Description of Stirlingshire (Complete New Book)

Electric Scotland News
        ----------------------
        Well the good news this week is that we might at last have a chance to profile an area of Scotland. As you know I did my best to get something going with the Gairloch and Loch Maree area of Scotland but all we got was a deafning silence.

I am now hopeful that we'll be taking off with the Lossiemouth area of Scotland and already some locals have said they'll get involved.

This is a project I've wanted to do for some 15 years now so perhaps at long last we can show what is possible. I'll keep you up to date with developments as we are of course in the very early stages.

I have howerver started to build a page for the project which can be see at http://www.electricscotland.com/lossiemouth

-----

I did a major change to the site index page as I was coming to the conclusion that an awful lot of our content was hidden. So to that end I have reworked the index page to show in BOLD the main areas of the site but under each heading I have listed some of the major sub links that can be found in each section. Initial research seems to suggest that this has been a positive move as since I did it I've noticed a significant jump in our page views.

------

I know you are all a quiet lot out there but as always I'd enjoy some feedback from you. Not sure I should have said that mind you as any time I do say that I never get any feedback. Not sure if it is because you are all shy by nature but enough read the newsletter that you'd think a few of you might say something or suggest something or complain about something or indeed say something nice to bolster my spirits <grin>

-----

We've just had the local council elections in Canada and I note only some 36% of my local area bothered to vote. This seems to be a trend these days and so perhaps it's time to think on new ways to get people more engaged. I did try and learn some more about the various candidates and the first problem I had was that I didn't know what Ward I came under.

I then watched some of the question and answer sessions that the local council did on the local TV station. Each candidate was asked I think 5 questions and they got around 1 minute to respond. There were 3 such sessions to enable them to fit everyone in but I only managed to watch 1 of them. I will say a couple of them really did a very poor job of responding. On the whole I think this was a positive move but I wished they'd recorded them on the web so I could have gone online to see the other 2 sessions that I'd missed.

I never seem to have the time to read the local newspaper although I do try and read the free weekly one when it comes in just to get a sense of what is going on. Mind you if you are brought up in an area and go to school there then you'll know many people in the area and so local news is likely more relevant.

On reflection I'd like to have seen a leaflet from the local council that told me what ward I was in and listing the candidates. I'd also like to have been told about what session to watch on the local TV station as it was pure luck that I just happened to switch to that channel. And if with the leaflet we could have had a sales pitch from each candidate that would have had a good chance of me reading it and getting involved. And finally a reminder of where to go to vote would have been useful.

ABOUT THE STORIES
        -----------------
        Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

When you read this newsletter and finished reading it you might go to the top of the page and click on "New Posts" which is on the sub menu bar. That will let you see all the new posts since you were last on. When you see the list of messages you'll note in the third column that it tells you who posted the message and beside the name is a little icon with >> in it. When you click on that small icon you go directly to that post. Should it then be of interest you can then scroll up to see what the previous message was about. The reason I mention that is that we have had some emails in saying that if the message flow is quite large it is taking you time to find the last few messages to read so this gets around this problem. It's actually the way I personally read the messages myself as any time I go in I always click on the "New Posts".

We got a very interesting and useful post in the Genealogy forum this week about Scottish Directories. As a result I've created a page at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...irectories.htm

This page has a link to a special index page on the Internet archive that currently holds some 516 of these directories.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org/forum.php

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
        --------------------
        This weeks issue has been compiled by Jim Lynch the editor of the Scots Independent Newspaper. In there you can also read more about the proposed closure of the RAF base in Lossiemouth.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Christina McKelvie's weekly diary is available at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...lvie/index.htm

This weeks issue can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...vie/101104.htm

Book of Scottish Story
        ----------------------
        We've added "Catching a Tarta" which is the final story from this book and we'd like to thank John Henderson for working on this book for us.
        You can read this story at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...y/story133.htm

The other stories can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/story/index.htm

Scottish Loch Scenery
        ---------------------
        From drawings by A F Lydon with descriptive notes by Thomas A Croal (1882)

We completed this book by adding the final two chapters...

The Dhu Loch—Loch-na-gar
        The Cauldron Linn

You can read these and the other entries at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/lochs.htm

Geikie's Etchings
        -----------------
        This week we've added more articles...

Resting on the Road to Harvest
        Tam O' Shanter
        Tam O' Shanter and Souter Johnny

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ikie/index.htm

----------------------------------------
        And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

Assassination Of King James I - 1437

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Robert Chambers
        ---------------
        Robert Chambers is a famous author and publisher and we do carry a few of his publications on our site such as the 3 volume Domestic Annals of Scotland and his 4 volume Biographical Dictionary of Significant Scots.

John Henderson found his 2 volume Songs of Scotland which we both agree is a fabulous resource and so we are going to add this to the site in small chuncks in pdf format for you to enjoy.

This week we added...

Pages 299 to 318

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

---------------------------------
        By James Napier (1873)

This is another of those books that don't have any chapters and is around 300 pages. We're splitting this book up into a logical sequence of pdf files for you to read and will be easier to download. Partick is now a suburb of Glasgow.

We have up this week...

Part 9 (Pages 154 - 206)

This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/partick/

Travel Article
        --------------
        We have been getting in some wee articles from Holiday Cottages and you can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/travel/holidayndx.htm

The article this week is about Oban - The seafood capital of Scotland.

History of the Gipsies
        ----------------------
        By James Simson (1866)

All these chapters are a substantial read but certainly most interesting. There are a huge amount of footnotes in this publication so have done my best to incorporate them into the text.

This week we have added...

Chapter X - Present condition and number of the Gipsies in Scotland
        Disquisition on the Past, Present and Future of Gipsydom Part 1

Here is how chapter X starts...

Every author who has written on the subject of the Gipsies has, I believe, represented them as all having remarkably dark hair, black eyes, and swarthy complexions. This notion has been carried to such an extent, that Hume, on the criminal laws of Scotland, thinks the black eyes should make part of the evidence in proving an individual to be of the Gipsy race. The Gipsies, in Scotland, of the last century, were of all complexions, varying from light flaxen hair, and blue eyes, and corresponding complexions, to hair of raven black, dark eyes, and swarthy countenances. Many of them had deep-red and light-yellow hair, with very fair complexions. I am convinced that one-half of the Gipsies in Scotland, at the present day, have blue eyes, instead of black ones. According to the statistical account of the parish of Borthwick, Mid-Lothian, (1839,) the Baillies, Wilsons, and Taits, at Middleton, the descendants of the old Tweed-dale Gipsies, are described as, "in general, of a colour rather cadaverous, or of a darkish pale; their cheekbones high; their eyes small, and light coloured ; their hair of a dingy white or red colour, and wiry; and their skin, drier and of a. tougher texture than that of the people of this country." This question of colour has been illustrated in my enquiry into the history of the Gipsy language; for the language is the only satisfactory thing by which to test a Gipsy, let his colour be what it may.

In other countries, besides Scotland, the Gipsies are not all of one uniform swarthy hue. A Russian gentleman stated to me that many of the Gipsies in Finland have light hair, and fair complexions. I am also informed there are Gipsies in Arabia with fair hair.

Among many other mal-practices, the Gipsies have, in all countries, been accused of stealing children; but what became of these kidnapped infants, no one appears to have given any account, that I am aware of. To satisfy myself on this trait of their character, I enquired of a Gipsy the reasons which induced his tribe to steal children. He candidly acknowledged the practice, and said that the stolen children were adopted as members of the tribe, and instructed in the language, and all the mysteries of the body. They became, he said, equally hardy, clever, and expert in all the practices of the fraternity. The male Gipsies were very fond of marrying the stolen females. Some of the kidnapped children were made servants, or, rather, a sort of slaves, to the tribe. They considered that the occasional introduction of another race into their own, and mixing the Gipsy blood, in that manner, invigorated and strengthened their race. In this manner would the Gipsies alter the complexion of their race, by the introduction of foreign blood among them.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter10.htm

Other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gipsies/

The Long Glen
        -------------
        This is a story I found in old copies of the Celtic Magazine so I extracted it over a number of issues and now bring you the story.

This week we've added...

Chapter XXVIII - Friends in Council
        Chapter XXIX - The Pilgrimage to Kilmachaoide
        Chapter XXX - The Burnside Communion
        Chapter XXXI - Mr MacPhadrig
        Chapter XXXII - His Coadjutors

which completes this book.

The chapter on The Pilgrimage to Kilmachaoide starts...

THE muster place was at the cross roads, where at seven o'clock on a glorious morning, when woods and meads exhaled perfume, and wimpling burns crooned little anthems, several well-washed carts, provided each with a cushioned swing-seat, drew up in line, with Duncan Ban's brown mare leading. Ewan and Diarmad, representing revolt from family ecclesiasticism, came to this muster, driving each a paternal cart, and occupying a paternal seat. Ewan had, without any difficulty, persuaded his sister Jessie to come with him, but Diarmad had nobody to back him at all when he appeared on the scene. The three seanairean, with two old wives, some grandchildren, and Calum and his sister Meg, came in three carts. Iain Og and Shonnie and their old-mother caught up John the Soldier by the way, and brought him with them. Duncan Ban's vehicle was ridiculously overcrowded ; for he brought with him his son, son's wife, Mary, their grown-up daughter, and several younger children. The smith's cart was fully engaged for his own and the wright's belongings. The luadhadh spinster and widow, with the latter's boy and girl, came to the rendezvous on foot, and asking to be taken up. Being an unexpected reinforcement, they were received with a shout of welcome.

A redistribution of passengers being necessary, Ewan and the widow undertook to arrange things satisfactorily by fairly allotting the swing seats among the older people, and packing a few youngsters in the box-like vacuum behind each seat. When the procession was ready to start it could be seen that Mary Macintyre and the widow were under Ewan's care, and that the spinster and Jessie Cameron were passed over to Diarmad, doubtlessly in remembrance of the cliath.

Duncan Ban's warlike heart rejoiced. He wished he had a Lochaber axe, with a pennon floating from the steel head, to fix in the front of his cart. All unbidden the pibrochd. which defies the men of his own name, and the bald carles who sup sowens, to bar the way, came to his mind, and a parody of it gushed forth from his lips, to the horror of Iain Og, who was standing beside him at the moment, and who did not forget the day, and the object of the pilgrimage. And the unbidden parody was :—

Gabhaidh sinne 'n rathad mor, Olc air mhath le each e, Olc an mhath le Eaglais Shaoir, 'S le balaich chlaon an racain."

"Whist now! Whist now! You'll frighten folk with your pibrochd verses on the Sabbath," said Iain Og. "If Ealag stood in my brogues, you would not hear the end of it to your dying day."

You can read the rest of this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/longglen29.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/longglenndx.htm

Lays of the Covenanters
        -----------------------
        By James Dodds (1880)

This week we've added...

The Battle of Airsmoss
        Cargill taken Prisoner at Covington Mill, on the Clyde

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/covenanters/

The Scottish Reformation
        ------------------------
        A Historical Sketch by Peter Lorimer D.D. (1860)

As some of you will know there is to be a special celebration of the 450th anniversary of the Scottish Reformation during November in Scotland. I thought that this would be a good time to make this book available so you can read up on it.

We have up this week...

Chapter II.—The Wishart Period, a. d. 1543—1554

Section 8. English Invasion. Renewal of Persecution. The Reformation-Poets. 1547—1554

Chapter III.—The Knox Period, a. d. 1555—1560

Section 1. Visit of Knox to Scotland. 1555—1556
        Section 2. The First Protestant "Band." 1556—1558
        Section 3. First Petition of the Protestants to the Regent and their Protestation before Parliament 1558
        Section 4. Popular Tumults. The Reformation in Arms. 1559

In Chapter III section 1 it starts...

With the year 1555 commences the Knox period of the Scottish Reformation—its last and crowning stage. The Wishart period had closed in extreme apparent weakness and discouragement. After thirty years of conflict and suffering the reformers of Scotland were still without union as a party, and without organization as a power in the Church and the State. Their preachers were all in exile, and their leaders among the nobles reduced to silence and inaction. But with the reappearance of Knox upon the scene all this was speedily changed. His presence and power gave a new impulse to the cause, which immediately launched it upon a period of revival, of union, of organization, and of ultimate triumph.

Eight years had passed away since the surrender of the castle of St. Andrews, and to Knox they had been singularly full of incident and change. For twenty months he was kept a captive on board the French galleys, "lying in irons, miserably entreated, and sore troubled by corporal infirmity." Released at length in the spring of 1549, he gave the next five years of his life to the promotion of the Reformation in England, preaching for some time in Berwick, then in Newcastle, and afterwards, when he was made one of King Edward's six chaplains, in London, and various parts of the counties of Buckingham and Kent He was consulted by Cranmer and the other reforming bishops in the preparation of King Edward's Second Liturgy, and of the Articles of Religion, and might even have been promoted to the see of Rochester, if he had not been less solicitous of high place for himself than of a thorough reformation of the discipline of the Church. But he complained that no minister in England had authority to execute needful discipline, "to separate the lepers from the whole," which he accounted "a chief point of his office;" and he repeatedly declined to fill any other post in the Church than that of a preacher. Soon after the death of Edward, he left England and repaired to Geneva; and there he remained, he tells us, "at his private study" till he was called by the congregation of English refugees at Frankfort to be their preacher, "which vocation he obeyed (albeit unwillingly) at the commandment of that notable servant of God, John Calvin. At Frankfort he remained till that some of the learned," he continues, " more given to unprofitable ceremonies than to sincerity of religion, began to quarrel with him; and because they despaired to prevail before the magistrate there for the establishing of their corruptions, they accused him of treason committed against the emperor and against their sovereign, Queen Mary, because in his 'Admonition to England' he had called the one little inferior to Nero, and the other more cruel than Jezebel. The magistrates perceiving their malice, and fearing that he should fall into the hands of his accusers by one mean or by other, gave advertisement secretly to him to depart their city, for they could not save him if he were required by the Emperor, or by the Queen of England in the Emperor's name ; and so the said John returned to Geneva, and from thence to Dieppe, and thereafter to Scotland."

The time when Knox arrived in Edinburgh—about the end of September, 1555—was peculiarly favourable to the success of his visit The clergy had sunk into a state of false security, and were dreaming that heresy had been well-nigh extirpated from the land. The regency had recently passed into the hands of the Queen Dowager, Mary of Guise, whose political schemes made it necessary for her to pursue a temporizing policy with the Protestant lords, and to disguise for a time the hatred which she cherished, in common with all her family, to the doctrines and aims of the reformers. Just at that time, too, a number of the leading Protestants, including John Erskine of Dun, and William Maitland of Lethington, had gathered into Edinburgh to confer with and enjoy the ministrations of John Willock, who had been sent by the Duchess of East Friesland to the Scottish court on a commercial mission. But Willock's "principal purpose was to assay what God would work by him in his native country;" and the private meetings for prayer and exposition of the word which he had already held in Edinburgh, suggested a similar plan of usefulness to Knox.

This book is available at http://www.electricscotland.com/bibl...tion/index.htm

I am extracting some of his essays that detail Scottish Life and Character from his various works. This week we've added...

St Valentine's Day
        All Fools' Day
        Poachers and Poaching

St Valentine's Day starts...

"Yestreen at the valentines' dealing
        My heart to my mou' gied a sten,
        For thrice I drew ane without failing,
        And thrice it was written—Tarn Glent"

The practice to which these well-known lines of Burns refer has clean passed away. It was common enough when they were written—now one hundred years ago—and in. rural districts of Scotland was probably universal. In these districts it has lingered longest; and there must be many old or elderly persons amongst us who remember in their youth taking part in the practice. The century, when it was still among the "thirties," looked with no disfavour upon the rustic merriment that attended a "valentines' dealing." But its own inventions and scientific discoveries, its projects and its anticipations, have had the effect of breaking its connection with many a traditional and time-honoured institution, of which the great annual lovers' festival of St Valentine's Eve was one. Nobody keeps vigil for the 14th of February now. The festival has gone even more clean and completely than its more antiquated but not more joyous sister institutions of Hallowe'en and Hogmanay. The favourite sports and customs of this inventive nineteenth century are almost entirely those of its own creation. It has broken with the mirth and sociality of the past more effectually than any of its predecessors.

You can read the rest of this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../valentine.htm

The other essays can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/haliburton

History of Scotland
        -------------------
        By Wm Robertson

This is part of the Works of Wm. Robertson and it's actually my intention to bring you all his works over time but to start we're doing his "History of Scotland" which got very favourable reviews at the time and so much so he was asked by the King to do a History of England.

The History is now going up and this week we've added...

Book 5 which starts in the year 1567.

These can be read, along with a small biography of him at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...on_william.htm

By Cuthbert Bede (1861)

This week we put up Chapter VI - Dunaverty and its Traditions

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencreggan/

We got in another update on this project (50) which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...llingbrook.htm

Arran of the Bens, The Glens and the Brave
        By MacKenzie MacBride FSA Scot (1911)

ARRAN

"Here, as of old, the dreaming hours fulfil
        Their ancient pledge, and flower in sunlit days
        Above thy pastoral slopes and wave-washed bays
        Where melody and colour merge and thrill.
        Thy chosen Priestess, Beauty, beckons still
        From whin-clad straths and heather-haunted ways,
        Or lies in wait along the scented braes,
        Or chains a leafy thought from hill to hill.

Bruce found a shelter, lovely Isle, in thee
        When o'er his head the cloud of menace rolled,
        He saw thy rock-strewn mountains tipped with gold
        When morning mounted sovran from the sea,
        And on thy bosom, fold on misty fold,
        Beheld her dew-stained garments floating free."
        Ferdinand E. Kappey.

This is a new book we're starting on with the first chapter up for you to enjoy.

We have a page of paintings of scenes of Arran at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/oldpics18.htm

This book can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/arran/

Harry Lauder
        ------------
        John Henderson decided we needed to place Harry in our Significant Scots section and also provide some of his songs for folk to listen to. This being the case we now have a page for him at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...uder_harry.htm

At the foot of the page are some links to additional information we have for him on the site and John is starting a special Tribute page for him where he's making available some of his poems. This page is at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...derson/lauder/

Annals of Scottish Printing
        From the Introduction of the Art in 1507 to the beginning of the seventeenth century by Robert Dickson L.R.C.S.E and John Philip Edmund

This just fills yet another wee gap in our knowledge and I have made available the Preface and a link to download the book in pdf format at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...h_printing.htm

The Arniston Memoirs
        --------------------
        Three centuries of a Scottish House 1571 - 1838, edited from Family Papers by George W T Omand.

Many years ago, in the course of some building operations, the Charter-Room at Arniston was dismantled. Its contents, consisting of charters, rent-rolls, leases, accounts, and valuable family papers, were placed on the floor of an attic where, for a long time, they lay in confusion, uncared for, and in constant danger of destruction. About twenty years ago Dr. William Fraser, who was then beginning those researches which have thrown so much fresh light on the family history of Scotland, was requested by Mr. Dundas to give his help in examining the Arniston papers. Dr. Fraser arranged the charters, making a copious inventory of them, in which everything of local or family interest was described. He also deciphered the old estate, family, and colliery accounts down to the middle of the seventeenth century. The results of Dr. Fraser's labours suggested the idea of a family history to Mr. Dundas, who accordingly proceeded to arrange the letters and estate accounts, and compile a narrative from them to be left in the Charter-Room at Arniston in manuscript for the private use of the family.

There had been no intention of publication; but friends who had an opportunity of examining the materials thus collected by Mr. Dundas were of opinion that they were worthy of preservation in a more permanent form; and I was requested to undertake the task of weaving them into a continuous narrative and editing the volume of family history which is now published under the name of the Arniston Memoirs.

As originally planned, the work included a memoir of Henry Dundas (the celebrated Viscount Melville), who was a younger son of the first President Dundas. But it became apparent, as the work proceeded, that a complete account of his career, which, in some of its most interesting and important aspects, was that of a British Minister, could not be given without entering upon a variety of subjects inconsistent with the scope of the present volume. It has, therefore, been decided to omit the correspondence at Arniston between Henry Dundas and his brother and nephew. This correspondence, which extends over a large part of his public life, together with the voluminous collection of papers at Melville Castle, will form the groundwork of a separate work on the Life of Henrv Dundas.

G. W. T. O.

May 1887.

This is yet another pdf file but have made avaiable scans of the Contents page so you can see for yourself the type of information provided in the book which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/pdf/arniston.htm

I should add that towards the foot of this page is another book about Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, Political manager of Scotland, statesman, administrator of British India by Furber, Holden, 1903.

Again I have ocr'd in an introduction and certainly a most remarkable man and thus excellent reading.

Robert Burns Lives!
        -------------------
        Edited by Frank R. Shaw, FSA Scot, Dawsonville, GA, USA

I learned about Professor Leith Davis from my good friend, Alastair McIntyre, High Chief of www.electricscotland.com. He told me about an unusually good article on Robert Burns written by Professor Davis and was kind enough to secure it from her and share it with me. As is the case with all good things I run across that have anything to do with Burns, I learned in a brief period of time that I wanted to share Professor Davis’ article with the readers of Robert Burns Lives! and introduce you to a unique and dedicated Burnsian. I found her to be as genuine as her article, humble when she could have been proud and arrogant. She is a person I’d like to meet personally and look forward to that day in the future. Perhaps being the mother of three children has something to do with her friendly personality. I have chosen to include her curriculum vitae at the end of the article to call attention to her many outstanding academic achievements. She is currently working on a two book projects: a collection of essays on "Robert Burns in Transatlantic Context" (co-edited with Sharon Alker and Holly Faith Nelson) and a monograph, Transnational Articulations: Print Culture and the Imagining of Global Communities in Britain and Ireland, 1690-1820. She is currently serving as Director of Simon Fraser University's Scottish Studies Centre.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/leith.htm

You can read other articles in this series at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

------------------------------
        By Robbie the Pict

Extract from the remarkable correspondence with authorities, in that delightful book by Robbie the Pict, which led to the UK Government returning the Stone of Destiny to Edinburgh, Scotland. The Stone, used in the coronation of Scottish Kings, was taken from Scone by Edward the First of England in 1296. Its return was agreed under the Treaty of Northampton 1328, but the English Government did not honour that treaty. It remained under the throne of England in Westminster Abbey until 1996.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...cles/stane.htm

Edited by Beth Gay

Since 1990, in one form and name*or another, this publication has been the hometown newspaper of the Scottish community. In print form, it was mailed to almost 100,000 readers primarily in the USA, but also in Scotland, Canada and all over the world.
        Today, it has evolved into an Internet only publication under the same editor that has worked with it since the beginning. A little different name, a new format - but the same interesting publication.

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree is filled with articles about things Scottish - from events in the USA to famous Orkadians and inside information on travel. You'll find articles of interest to genealogists and news of the Scots Clan organizations as well as Flowers of the Forest.*

This publication is*one where you can read about the latest goings on of your friends in the Scottish community and the*interesting things they are doing, the honors they've won and what's happening in their lives.

Best of all, this magazine is happy to publish stories about your clan, your genealogical group, your Highland games or your Celtic festival. Queries are free.**All you have to do is email bethscribble@aol.com

We now have the November 2010 issue up for you to enjoy and you can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft

The Wonder Book of Soldiers
        For Boys and Girls, Edited by Harry Golding

I'd like to thank Jim & Sheena Menzies for lending me this book to scan in for the site. The book is intended for Boys and Girls and thus almost every page has a picture on it. I suspect even the older children will enjoy this book.

I spent the weekend scanning in all the pages and created a pdf file to pull it all together. You can download it at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...reg/wonder.htm

Sibbald's History & Description of Stirlingshire
        ------------------------------------------------
        Ancient and Modern 1707

Ranald McIntyre had this book copied into a pdf file so he could provide a copy of it for our site and we're very happy that he did so and many thanks!

You can download this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...rlingshire.htm

By Margaret H. Irwin

The Housing in Rural Districts of workers both permanently and temporarily employed, is a subject which only emerges at lengthy intervals, and in a sectional form, when it happens that some organisation turns the searchlight on one or the other phase of it. Then we have pictures of a particularly lurid character thrown on the screen.

Recently the Miners, who have been renewing their efforts for the abolition of the old and insanitary dwellings which still disgrace certain Mining Districts, held the stage. Again, from time to time, the conscience of the public has been startled by revelations concerning the Bothy system and the Housing of Navvies.

All of these are really sections of the one great problem of Rural Housing (in the defects of which some persons see a contributory cause of the depopulation of the Highlands revealed by the recent census) and it would seem the time has now come when it might well be taken up and dealt with as a whole.

This is a short book which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...les/potato.htm

You may remember that John Henderson added 100 songs for us to enjoy and each song comes up with the text of the song while playing it in the background. (Note: This has always worked fine in the IE browser but they don't seem to play in either Firefox or Chrome for some reason yet to be discovered). John has sent us in a couple more songs this week...

The Midges
        Hame O' Mine

which actually brings us to 105 songs.

You can listen to these at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...son/singalong/

Got in Update 50, October 2010 update on activity which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...allbrook50.htm

And to finish...

Worry Lines

One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast on her brunette head. She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked,
        "Why are some of your hairs white, Mum?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or
        unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said, "Well Mum how is it that ALL of grandma's hairs are white?"

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend :-)

Alastair
        http://www.electricscotland.com

Comment

I am enjoying the books on pdf. I plan on reading the new book by Dave Thomas, this coming week.
          kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Just wanted to let you know, Alastair, that I think you're doing a great job! You know I love the historical stuff, and am working my way through 2 books now. Keep up the good work! <grin> I also downloaded Scottish Byki -- maybe I'll learn something new!!
            Lora
            Last edited by lcnobilus; 5 November 2010, 14:33. Reason: added a comment

Comment

I'm looking to do a section about Piping and Drums so just starting to put out emails to folk that I hope will help me build this. Always something new to work on!

Comment

Here is to "bolstering your spirits". You are an intelligent, hard working person who is dedicated to your Scottish heritage. This website is proof of that. Just wondering how you get such good beauty tips. :)

Comment

Any idea for best language learning software?

Currently, the world culture is getting to effect each other, mastering one kind of language is a little less, so it is necessary to learn several languages
                  I like self-learning Europe languages and have mastered some kinds of languages before. I'm a fan of language learning software and an audio visual application because it helps too much.
                  My old language learning software is one of the tools reviewed online that has some troubles and I want to change it for a new one. Do you guys have any recommendations for the versatile language learning software?
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                  X