The Scottish Crannog Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scottish Crannog Centre

I was prompted to check out this subject as there was a very interesting article on "Crannogs" in "Scots Magazine' for July 2010.

----------------------------------------

What is a Crannog ???

Crannogs are a type of ancient loch-dwelling found throughout Scotland and Ireland, while one has been discovered in Wales in Llangorse Lake. Most are circular structures that seem to have been built as individual homes to accommodate extended families. Other types of loch settlements are also found in Scandinavian countries and throughout Europe.

Crannogs are also known as artificial or modified natural islands and they were as much a product of their environment as the period in which they were constructed.

The authentic crannog reconstruction which forms the focal part of the Scottish Crannog Centre was built by the Scottish Trust for Underwater Archaeology or STUA. The Scottish Trust for Underwater Archaeology is a registered charity (number SCO18418) and was formed to promote the research, recording, and preservation of Scotland's underwater heritage.

The earliest loch-dwelling in Scotland is some 5,000 years old but people built, modified, and re-used crannogs in Scotland up until the 17th century AD. Throughout their long history crannogs served as farmers' homesteads, status symbols, refuges in times of trouble, hunting and fishing stations, and even holiday residences. Here in Highland Perthshire, the prehistoric crannogs were originally timber-built roundhouses supported on piles or stilts driven into the lochbed.

In more barren environments and in later periods tons of rock were piled onto the lochbed to make an island on which to build a stone house. Today the crannogs appear as tree-covered islands or remain hidden as submerged stony mounds. Several hundred have been discovered so far in Scotland although only a few have been investigated. For a guide book providing more information about Scottish crannogs, contact us at info@crannog.co.uk.

Check out the "Scottish Crannog Centre" a very interesting site....

http://www.crannog.co.uk/docs/cranno...cc_centre.html

Re: The Scottish Crannog Centre

Scottish Crannog Center -- Fire Making Demonstration
    A demonstration of making fire from a fire-bow -- basically rubbing two sticks together. The Crannog Centre is an archaeological open air museum in Kenmore, Scotland on Loch Tay. If you're interested in more information abut the centre you can visit their website at www.crannog.co.uk

Kenmore and the Crannog

clips of a day trip to Perthshire...to Kenmore and the Crannog centre at the head of Loch Tay. Kenmore sits halfway between Aberfeldy and Killin.

Comment

Scottish Crannog Centre - Bow Lathe Demonstration

Comment

I did visit a crannog and it was very interesting. You can see a few pictures I took at http://www.electricscotland.com/trav...ochry/day7.htm

Alastair

Comment

Alastair,

I thought you're photographs added an extra dimension to the videos that I posted. I had a chuckle when I scrolled down the list and looked at the Castle Menzies snapshots and noted where a photograph of Robert Gordon Menzies an ex Australian Prime Minister was hung, not a very good representative for a clan as he was the one that "rolled over" and welcomed the UK to our fair shores to test their nuclear weapons (with the resultant pollution), I think they made him a Knight of the thistle. (Menzies' veneration for ancient imperial honours was fired when Queen Elizabeth II appointed him K.T. (1963), and when (Sir) Harold (Baron) Wilson nominated him to succeed Churchill as constable of Dover Castle and warden of the Cinque Ports (1965), ceremonial titles which gave him a uniform and a residence at Walmer Castle .

Comment

I don't think I noticed who was in the picture... I was just taking some general ones to give an idea of what the inside looked like. There is a place called Dull just up the road and I did take a picture of the sign but never actually visited the village. It was many years later that I learned it was rather famous at one point in our history.

Alastair

Comment

Allie,

I have been busy following up Dr Norma Lorre Goodrich when I am in-between homework. These Crannogs really resemble the descriptions of the ancient Pic Queen, Gwinievere's religion in which she brought with her to her marriage with King Arthur. I wonder if this maybe part of the Keepers?
              kellyd:redrose:

Comment

We do have a book in pdf format about Crannogs Kelly which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/pdf/crannogs.htm

Comment

Working...
                X