Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surplus finance fourth year in a row

23/06/2010

Scotland's public finances are in a healthy position, with the country generating more income than it spends even in a period of recession, official statistics published today show. This is the fourth year in a row that Scotland has generated a current budget surplus, compared to a UK-wide deficit over the same period.

The latest Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (GERS) report for 2008-09 includes a share of the UK Government's Financial Sector Interventions to support the banking sector.

Even with that spending factored in, Scotland's financial position in 2008-09 was a current budget surplus of £1.3 billion, or 0.9 per cent of GDP, including a geographical share of North Sea revenues. At the same time, the UK was in current budget deficit of £48.9 billion, or 3.4 per cent of GDP, including 100 per cent of North Sea revenues.

GERS also estimates Scotland's net fiscal balance - which factors in capital and infrastructure investment for the nation's long term benefit. On this measure Scotland had a deficit of £3.8 billion or 2.6 per cent of GDP. In comparison, the UK's deficit was substantially greater, standing at £96.1 billion or 6.7 per cent of GDP.

Across the OECD as a whole, the average net fiscal balance was 3.3 per cent of GDP in 2008. In other words, GERS shows Scotland in a stronger fiscal position than the average of the major developed economies, as well as the United Kingdom.

The cumulative value of Scotland's current budget surplus over the four year period from 2005-06 to 2008-09 now stands at some £3.5 billion. Over this same period, the UK built up a deficit of £72.3 billion.

Welcoming the report, Finance Secretary John Swinney said:

"This is an extremely positive report - demonstrating beyond any doubt that Scotland is in a far stronger financial position than the UK as a whole, as well as the OECD average.

"In 2008-09, Scotland generated a current budget surplus of £1.3 billion, or 0.9 per cent of GDP, compared to a deficit for the UK of £48.9 billion, or 3.4 per cent of GDP.

"This is the fourth year in a row to record a Scottish current budget surplus - even as the UK moved into recession - and the cumulative value of Scotland's surplus since 2005-06 now stands at some £3.5 billion, compared to a UK deficit over the same period of £72.3 billion.

"These figures reinforce the case for Scotland determining its own tax and spending decisions, and managing other key economic levers, with the powers of financial responsibility and independence. That will enable us to take the decisions in Scotland needed to grow the economy, because growth is the key to moving out of the financial difficulties we face.

"As we saw in yesterday's Budget, we are left picking up the pieces of the financial mismanagement of the last Westminster Government, and the risk to recovery posed by the new UK administration.

"Yet in 2008-09, even taking into account a share of the UK's bank bail out, Scotland's own current budget balance was very substantially in credit, while the UK as a whole was in substantial deficit.

"Financial responsibility and independence provide the platform to build long-term economic prosperity and social justice in Scotland."

See the report at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../06/22160331/0

Alastair

Re: Surplus finance fourth year in a row

Were in surplus again but we are having to make 20 - 25% austerity cuts and put thousands of public sector workers on the dole, is it just me or is there something very wrong about that?

Comment

Re: Surplus finance fourth year in a row

I understood the new Parliament to be making cuts clean across the Nation as a whole, not just targeting Scotland. I am against some of the serious cutting the new Lib-Conservatives are making yet I can see what they are aiming for. My belief is, they should not allow kids who are coming out of school to be able to get straight on the dole. They should be made to work at least a full two years or go to college. People who are made redundant should be the first to be allowed re-training to go back to work. The government Must make changes but I believe they are headed down the wrong path. They will end up with even more upheaval.

I don't agree with free bus passes being taken away from the Elderly. I believe if anyone deserves them, our elders do. I do feel this new age government and private sector are very prejudice against middle aged workers.

They must stop grasping at straws and come to a workable alternative. It is there, they just have to remove their £ blinders.
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
      X