New to ME...Verrrry sharp saw!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to ME...Verrrry sharp saw!!!

Some of my kids sent me a magazine subscription to FAMILY HANDYMAN, as they think that I'm "up there" with all those super handy guys in our world. HA!!! Not quite. I usually, after skimming through these mags, mark out my name address, & give them to Goodwill.

HOWEVER, there was one tip that I decided to take. I have towering pine trees, which I planted, that tend to grow up into the electric lines, plus loads of other trees, bushes, etc. So, I tore out the ad for the following:

Corona Clipper 13-Inch Razor Tooth Curved Pruning Saw, with Cushion Grip Handle. The mag said that it was available on Amazon. So, yesterday I ordered one, especially after reading all of the customer reviews, which I do find handy on Amazon. I am looking forward to using it to work on all of the stuff around here. Also got a special sharpening tool to use on it.

Quite thrilled! Joan

Re: New to ME...Verrrry sharp saw!!!

Let me know how it works out when it arrives.

Comment

Hi Joan

I had a look at Amazon, but no customer reports on our edition.

Don't forger, you are cutting above, and what you cut has to come down !! Also take into consideration, that the branch you cut may have many sub branches, and they can deflect the downwards travel by quite a few feet.

A few years ago a gardener (?) was cutting branches of a tree in the garden next to mine. He was on a ladder and with his back to the tree.

He used a petrol chain saw, and when the branch fell to the ground, the sub branches acted like a spring bouncing the main root branch into the ladder and on to his leg.

He fell off the ladder and the saw was still working!!!!! I looked over the wall, and found that other than a badly grazed leg all was well.

He never returned to finish the job!!

I know your recent purchase is not motorised but.....Please take care.

Ranald

Comment

And how are you going to reach those towering pine trees Joan?

Elda

Comment

HI, Elda...basically I use a simple wooden ladder. I often pull limbs down & lop them off with loppers, to keep them out of the lines. With the pines, I usually prop the folded ladder agains the tree, & saw off what I can. Have been using a smallish buck saw, but want something more efficient. Joan

Comment

Hey to all, i.e. Tom, Ranald, etc.....Today, did the earth move??!!! I actually got out my sturdy wooden ladder, after AT LAST!!! opening the wrappers on my Corona saw. After carefully placing the ladder in front of my front porch, under an old maple tree, I pulled out my saw, & took off about two limbs, with lots(!) of leaves, & sawed them very carefully. One was quite large. about 3-4" in diameter, but with much other littler limbs on it. Nearly got me in the head. But didn't. My intent was to keep ants from getting into the house, with tree leaves, limbs hanging down onto the roof.

So, I did solve that problem. And I learned exactly what the info said, the saw cuts on the pull, not so much on the push, if you get what I mean. I reinforced the cardboard sleeve with our all time favorite "duck" tape, so I have a holster to keep from getting stabbed. I also used WD40 on the saw, prior to using, as I've read that you should always do this before using any saw. My old dad used to use bacon grease....in the olden days!!! Anyway, I am looking forward to using the saw again. It is difficult on my rough ground here, to get the ladder stable, though. But it is possible. Hope this gives you all a good idea of my good saw. Joan
            P.S. Remember I got it from Amazon. I had a chain saw at one time, but due to my cowardice, & my having probs starting it, I gave it to my son-in-law. I was afraid of it.
            Last edited by FriedaKateM; 18 August 2012, 20:08. Reason: addendum

Comment

Another consideration, should you need to be cutting diseased or infected limbs, would be to dip your saw blade in a bucket with a bleach mixture to avoid cross contamination of other vegetation you may need to prune at the same or future times.

Comment

I know what you mean about being afraid of an appliance. I'm afraid of whipper snippers.....just can't use one.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
                  I know what you mean about being afraid of an appliance. I'm afraid of whipper snippers.....just can't use one.

Elda
                  I had to look that one up. Over here in the colonies, a whipper snipper is known as a lawn trimmer or a "weed eater." I have been hoping that some smart person might think of shrinking one of these down quite a bit. A very small unit might make a great personal grooming tool for middle aged males whose folicles have migrated from their scalp and set up shop on their ear lobes or in their nostrils.

Comment

This is in regard to that Corona saw that started this discussion. Yesterday,& the day previous, I was working on a kind of "hedgerow"...lots of trees, elderberry bushes, etc., that have all grown up along a ditch. I used the saw on another younger maple tree, & finally did get it down. Have to haul all the cuttings, trees, etc., back into the woods to piles of other wood stuff. Even with the weather not being too warm, I was still staggering along, dragging the large bunches of bush, trees, kind of like an Indian travois. Luckily, after I did that, I called off the work for the day. I didn't use WD40 on it, & think it needs sharpening (the saw, I mean!) Joan (had a book call while typing this!)
                    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 16 September 2013, 19:14. Reason: addendum

Comment

Working...
                    X