The Flying Scotsman at 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flying Scotsman at 150

Thought this would be of interest, as many of you might well have travelled on this train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18173615

Enjoy

Ranald

Re: The Flying Scotsman at 150

HI to all...this posting link has reminded me...I cannot get any of the BBC posts that I used to be able to get. I had BBCScotland on as home page, but NOW cannot get. All of BBC is closed to me. Is this just me, or is it all of the USA? Let me know what you US citizens think, or let me know IF you can click on the above, & see it? Thanks, Joan

Comment

Lizzie 'seems' to have been able to open the link, and she is in NJ...

Might be worth messaging Lizzie ?

Ranald

Comment

Here is one when the "Flying Scotsman" was in Australia.

December 11 1988 was one of the rare days, that steam locomotives Flying Scotsman and R761 hauled their respective trains from Melbourne Victoria, to Albury New South Wales Australia.
        These scenes of Flying Scotsman were shot from a carriage window of the train headed by R761 south of Seymour.
        The lines run parallel, and the Flying Scotsman was on the 4ft 8-1/2inch standard gauge, and R761 was on the Victorian 5ft inch gauge track.

One of the scenes shows the Flying Scotsman going into a crossing loop to pass the south bound Southern Aurora, a train which is now extinct. The big '200' on the side of the locomotive in charge of the Southern Aurora, were in reference to Australia,s bi-centenary which was a reason also why the Flying Scotsman was in Australia. (The first vehicle was to carry motor vehicles belonging to passengers, and the second vehicle was a van in which electric power for the train was generated).

The flying Scotsman's, and R761's trains pass one other during the journey. In one scene, the Flying Scotsman passes our train at speed and the chase is on for some time before we catch up and draw alongside the locomotive and see it working at a high speed before it again draws away. The last scene is filmed in a shower of cinders, smoke, and water from the two locomotives at speed, with each train maintaining the same speed. The camera lens gradually fogs up with water which became condensed from the steam that drove us forward, before the actual scene ended. The scenes in this 10 minute video were edited from a video tape which runs about a half hour.

Comment

Hello Gordon, again you come up with a classic.... I wonder what were the top speeds of the two engines, during the runs.....?

Ranald

Comment

Ranald,
            I cannot find any detail of speeds reached, however I don't think any records would have been tried for due to the historic nature of these locomotives.

Here is a little more...........

Flying Scotsman is arguably the most famous locomotive in the world. In 2004, it was purchased for the nation, using money donated by the public. Since then, we at the National Railway Museum have been restoring Scotsman to full mainline running condition, so that it can once again pull trains around the UK.

CHANGING HANDS........
            Flying Scotsman came home and was repaired, and in 1988-9 it toured Australia, where at one point it recorded the longest ever non-stop run by a steam locomotive, travelling 422 miles.

more @ http://www.nrm.org.uk/flyingscotsman/about.aspx

Also here is an outlet [in UK] that has a complete set of videos on the "Flying Scotsman" http://www.eagle-eye-products.com/ee...AN_VIDEOS.html

Flying Scotsman R761 R707 parallel run

The Aus Steam festival was one unique time in Australian Railway history, and this was one unique day with LNER 4472 'Flying Scotsman' R761 and R707 doing a parallel run with photo stops northward from Melbourne.

Comment

I still remember standing on the platform in Edinburgh (i think)as a 6yo and seeing the Flying Scotsman roll in. We were on the way to Southhampton to board the Fairsky to Australia..As a small boy the Scotsman seemed so big and noisey.
              Euan..

Comment

Originally posted by Euan View Post
                I still remember standing on the platform in Edinburgh (i think)as a 6yo and seeing the Flying Scotsman roll in. We were on the way to Southhampton to board the Fairsky to Australia..As a small boy the Scotsman seemed so big and noisey.
                Euan,

Here is a little one for you to have fun with.................bring back those childhood memories.

Comment

Thanks Gordon, not quite what i remember the Scotsman to be though..there's no smoke or steam..
                  Euan..

Comment

I came on the Fairsky too Euan but in 1971.

Elda

Comment

I bet you didn't cause the havoc i did when you were on it!..Those Italian sailors would have been glad to see the back of me after 5 weeks..I recall 2 sailors chased me after i poured water through a keyhole into a room because they chastised me for dropping breadcrumbs along the passageway..
                      I was also pulled out of the pool by a lifeguard after i tripped and went to the bottom.(I couldn't swim back then), they got the water out of me and i was back to mischief....memories...
                      Euan..

Comment

We got up to mischief but a different kind of mischief from a 6 year old boy :wink: We were young "ladies" :laugh2:

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
                          We got up to mischief but a different kind of mischief from a 6 year old boy :wink: We were young "ladies" :laugh2:

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post

Elda
                            Please explain!
                            Euan..

Comment

Working...
                            X