Vegies for Winter season !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegies for Winter season !

Well guys and gals will you please provide me the list of some veggies that i should grow in winter season and about the time it will take to mature , you can also tell me about the fruits..

really crazy about gardening and remember i have never been to gardening but now interested.
    great post to read

Re: Vegies for Winter season !

You might have a read of the book "10 acres enough" at http://www.electricscotland.com/agri...10acresndx.htm

Alastair

Comment

Hey...I'd like to say, overall, it pretty much depends on the area of the U.S. of A. that you live in. In New York City, where you obviously live, you cannot grow vegetables unless you have a greenhouse. Where I live in Indiana, you cannot grow vegetables. In Wyoming, you cannot grow veggies in winter....unless you have a greenhouse.

IF you actually lived in the deep South, you might be able to grow some veggies!!! Check out some seed catalogues!!! The only thing I have in the ground that will go through the winter is garlic cloves, which will not be harvested till next Aug./Sept. Hope this is helpful to you. FriedaKateM

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	23541
        Spring has sprung and have planted my veggies

Comment

I have foreboding of the winter to come here in NE US. The animals seem to be in a frenzy gathering, burying the fruits of their endeavors, and fattening up for what's to come. My vegetable patch has been decimated. They are now chopping on the butternut squash after destroying my Fall string beans. Finally caught sight of that darned groundhog I suspect was doing most of the damage. Raced him back to his hole. And, there I stood growling menacingly down into his hole, laughing inwardly, and thinking if any of the neighbors see this spectacle they will be saying, "Good Lord, the poor soul, she has finally lost!"

Comment

I remember that one of the over winter vegetables we always had were leeks. I seem to remember we went to the garden center and bought the wee plants. When we got back my mother then just pushed a hole into the ground with the handle from a garden rake and just droped one into each hole. She then added a wee drop of water and that was it. So over winter and even in hard frost she could pick one or two which she used in home made soup.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
              I remember that one of the over winter vegetables we always had were leeks. I seem to remember we went to the garden center and bought the wee plants. When we got back my mother then just pushed a hole into the ground with the handle from a garden rake and just droped one into each hole. She then added a wee drop of water and that was it. So over winter and even in hard frost she could pick one or two which she used in home made soup.

Alastair
              Out here leeks are a spring vegetable. The first pot of leek soup is always a promise that winter will be over soon.

Comment

That's interesting to know. Mind you they'd likely grow larger by that time.

And talking of larger... I mind many years ago I met a chap that grew onions and leeks and some other vegetables in North Yorkshire. He was a keen gardener and entered the local competitions. One time he mentioned that he'd actually won first place for his onions. I remember him telling me how large it was and I just couldn't believe the size. Well we were due to go the same meeting a week later and he said he'd bring me his third largest onion. He did indeed bring it and it would have fed several households over a week... it was massive!

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                X