Tactile teaching a child to draw, read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactile teaching a child to draw, read

The car was speeding over uncustomarily ice slick roads on the way to San Antonio, Texas for an appointment with the Doman-Delacato clinic.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/174/3/257.abstract

Just as we were passing a large truck we hit an icy place on the road. The wind off the truck pushed at us exactly the same time. To feel the car going out of control was like the elongated seconds before a calamity seems imminently inevitable. The automobile was airborne and actually flying away from the road. I glanced to the back seat to see my children’s nanny quickly stuffing the children into the floorboard as she was covering them with her own body.

Like a great beast we hit the soft, thawed medium and the vehicle seemed to groan as it sank into the muddy strip between the four lanes. Still we were careening forward by the thrust of the
    car that seemed to have a mind of its own. I looked out the front window and my thankfulness at not having hit the truck to the right disappeared as I could now see a larger truck barreling toward us on the pavement across the medium. Were we going to hit this one head on? I wanted to yell, “stop!” But was as frozen in time and as paralyzed by the events coming upon my small family.

To answer my thoughts the car was like a entity defeated and it sank into the glue like mud off the highway. It came to rest before we reached the other two lane highway coming toward us.

This was the worst of the involvement we endured as we struggled to find a way to help our
    cerebral palsied child to overcome only some of her problems. So as I share these tips with you I hope you will use them in good faith with your grandchildren.

Tip number 1:
    Teaching a child to draw is as fundamental, strong and necessary as the picture writing of the Egyptians and is the secret to how well they learn their letters.

You will need a cookie sheet, some salt
    Large alphabet letters of a heavy foam you can purchase at Wal Mart
    A pillow case

Dump the letters into the pillow case. Pour the salt onto the cookie sheet, Allow the child to reach into the pillow case and pull out one letter and say the name of the letter. Take the letter and press it into the salt until it makes an imprint. Remove the letter and have the child draw into the salt with their finger to form the letter. Eventually they will be able to draw the letter without pressing the letter shape into the salt.
    This is called tactile training. The mind forms a picture of the letter as the child feels it within the pillowcase. When they pull it out and look at it you tell them the letter's name. This is the auditory part of learning the letter. When they trace the letters shape in the salt this is another tactile experience. The salt acts on tiny stimulus on the nerve points on sensitive fingers and sends a message to the brain, one they grasp immediately and do not forget.
    We paid thousands of dollars to learn these ways to teach our brain damaged child, Rhonda, to read. I give them to you for free.
Working...
X