Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Valuable Memories

Making Valuable Memories

Teaching the Pythagorean method of showing all creation is made up of these basic shapes often goes over the heads of children, totally. I’ve devised a sneaky method for getting through to the kids these essential shapes that eventually they will use to help them draw anything they wish (doesn’t hurt the adults either).

You can google Pythagoras to read about this genius of a man

These are the most basic of basic shapes
    http://www.mathcosoftware.com/videos...jTbqXkg%5D.cfm

This is what we do, we make cookies. Before we do the cookies, while we are learning the shapes I have the kids cut these out of paper, paint the shapes with different colors. Make the patterns for your cookies. I then tape them onto the ‘fridge so they will be ever in view. Write their names on them, too.

As we cut the shapes out of the cookie dough I use their real names, hexagon, octagon (stop sign),
    pentagon, triangle, square, rectangle. The sphere can be dough rolled into a ball. As it cooks it will flatten to a circle.
    To make a cone I roll a small circle out of the dough, cut it to its center and fold it into a cone to cooks that way.

Guaranteed this will be a lesson learned for a lifetime while you are just having fun. Isn’t that what art is about? Playing and having fun?

Gingerbread Man Cookie Recipe
    This cookie recipe lends itself to having shapes cut out of it after it is rolled out.

Ingredients
    Serves: Update
    3 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup grated fresh ginger

Royal Icing

Assorted colors of paste food coloring

Directions
    In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground cloves; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter for 30 seconds with an electric mixer. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, molasses, and vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in ginger and as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Cover; chill dough about 3 hours, or overnight, or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 375 degree F. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough using 5-inch gingerbread people cookie cutters. Arrange the cutouts about 1 inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Pipe designs on cookies with tinted Royal Icing. Makes about 25 gingerbread people.

To Store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store piped cookies at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw, and if desired, pipe with icing.

Royal Icing: In a small bowl combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 4 teaspoons meringue powder, and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Stir in 1/4 cup warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until of glazing consistency. To tint, divide the glaze into small portions. Add enough paste food coloring or liquid food coloring to each portion to make desired color.

about this recipe
    These little folks have been around for centuries. Gingerbread originated in the Middle Ages, when it was eaten year-round as a delicacy at fairs. On American shores, the spicy-sweet aroma and festive shapes are familiar symbols during winter holidays.

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/g...#ixzz1AIdVkSPf
Working...
X