Coyotes and Rain on the Tin Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyotes and Rain on the Tin Roof

The coyotes run the prairie field next to the lone remaining rancher to the west of us. They heckle the dogs in the area with their howling, soulful sounding yelps. The dogs simply go crazy and altogether bark in unison.
    So goes the cacophony some nights. We don’t notice the noise inside the
    house, but if one of us should step out onto the patio the sound becomes very noticed. This is what is going on tonight. In my mind I can just see those coyotes dancing around the fields in their freedom, yelping and calling to the dogs, who aren’t able to leave their cages.

“Hey you there in your comfy cage, aren’t you sorry you can’t run free with us?” They might be teasing the dogs. Thank heaven for the cage, though, because many a dog has met his destiny with a crowd of wild coyotes. By the way from over around Foraker we pronounce coyotes, "Ki' yotes." Folks from other places call them, "Ki yote tay."

Something like, "You say tah mah toe and I say toe may too?"

Enough about wild things. Let me tell you about the tame plants I’ve been able to transplant because of the wonderful rains we have had. Not to say we don’t keep the weather channel in view. I’m reminded of the tornado a couple years ago every time I drive by the twisted, gnarled trucks of large trees at the bottom of the ridge where a ravine runs through. With that awareness lightning strikes and rolling thunder makes us all nervous. The 16 Canna Lilly and eight Apricot trees are standing straight up just as though they were not disturbed at all.

Rain on the tin roof of the back porch, though, always reminds me of my cousin, Chuck Dunlap, singing and playing his guitar when he visited us. One of the songs on his C.D. is about the rain on a tin roof. Life just doesn’t get any better than that.
Working...
X