Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafts Show on the Rez

Talk About Mix

One tiny little facet of Okie life simply must be shared. For the most part there is a day to day struggle through the monotonous and mundane. Enough so that there truly can be pulling out hair days. In my husband’s case he says, “I guess I’ll just have to scratch my head.”

My dedication to the promotion of art and craft wanes as age and that old man with a sickle looms, but then, I think of Mother and how she worked at her ribbon work until she was far over 90 and to the time she literally could not any longer sit up to
    her work table. The determination to stick to her guns was there and so it should be.

I don’t treat the crafts as a business so I don’t have any idea how much I spend on a show. I think, that would have been around 60 dollars for the one yesterday. I couldn’t be there to visit with folks so only 6.00, two Chilocco cards were sold.
    You might ask why would anyone be interested in doing something when there is little monetary rewards?

To list: I met interesting people. One gentleman looked to be the perfect model for a Native American chief of years ago. Indeed, he was a minister who has come to the area from the Cherokees. Another lady had a table of delicious jams and I had to have her blackberry jam, plus she promised she would call when her wild plum jelly is ready. I purchased a ball cap eye shade from a lady who created the most beautiful edge of beadwork around the brim. She was from the Roubideaux
    family and told me a bit of their history which was so interesting.

The beautiful complex of the Otoe tribe is no longer just a thought in my mind as we drive past. Today I know how lovely the inside of their community building is. I’m so proud of their hard work and what a statement of “I Can” is made. Gone are the days of suffering poverty for the Otoes. Today their ingenuity and dedication to a goal is so evident in the community functioning like a small town.

We left early and went on to Sedan, Kansas for a funeral, and I must share that rare experience with you tomorrow. Great satisfaction is given me as I unpack my boxes of unsold crafts. I won’t have to worry about running to Wal-Mart for something for a shower, individual’s party, wedding, etc. etc. If not for the deadline of getting to a craft show there would be no such completed work.
Working...
X