Journal, June 18, 2012, Rodney King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journal, June 18, 2012, Rodney King

I'll take a moment to draft a line or two here after hearing of Rodney King’s death.

You know we don't do holidays. However, the last few years I've planned family dinners around holidays for the reason my children are into that mode of thinking. Marriage changed things for them, plus the school system was stronger on that order than I was, and if I complain about the shifting of common sense to one of free abandon with wild spending on a holiday that goes over their head, too. There has been a bit of respect though in that they do not go overboard around me, and don't let me know it if they do carelessly indulge on their own.
    Once in a while I will joke with the children if they happen to need something in February, "No, you must wait until Christmas," and they will look at me like I've lost my mind.
    On to the meat of the story. Yesterday's dinner was a huge success with all forgetting their sorrows regarding broken dreams and marriages just for a while.
    There were good things learned too, for instance, the finishing of trade school by the oldest grandchild and her finding a fine job. She is raising two children alone, so good to see her coping and thinking about her children.
    One grandchild with hair done up in beautiful French braids made me appreciate her mother, too, who is going through a sad divorce. She's the one who is teaching grade school now, after getting her degree.
    My other daughter coming through all the madness of estranged mate's behavior, sticking to what was important gave me hope too,
    even though she is unbearably weighted down with circumstances unchangeable.
    Her daughter standing across from a kid who laid a gun on the high school lunchroom table across from her and the girl not knowing about guns thought it was a toy. That was a scare for the whole family especially after the Colorado shootings.
    A gap in our family was felt from the missing spouses but together we all seemed to be united in having to accept the hatefulness of the situation.
    One granddaughter did bring her Grandfather, my husband who has been her father, a sweet T shirt with lettering something to the effect, "Never fear, Grandpa is on his way." and this makes me sad, too, to know the inevitable.
    If our parents left us as heirs to their values regarding entities who use intimidation, fear, and force to bring a person under them, we like the Mexicans brought here by their parents have innocently been subjected to our parents decisions and will. We simply have had to live with being in the middle between warring elements, and how well I understand Rodney King's dilemma. They played the video of him stopping the L.A. riots with his words.

"Can't we just get along." The news played the video of him stopping the L.A. riots with his words.

I felt a kinship with him, Rodney King and I were raised in the same faith.

I only wish my own children could understand and not let anything that happens to be taken personally. My prayer for them is that they remain strong for right regardless of the war raging around them, and like Rodney King take a stand leaning on a Higher Power, but not to let the “demons” the newsman spoke of to envelope their stand. The demons he referred to were: alcohol and substance abuse for which Rodney King admitted to being a victim.

Death erases all our sins and we will know Rodney in the resurrection.
Working...
X