Gaelic Names of Trees, Shrubs and Plants
    Old Highland Industries
    The Highland Garb
    The Clearance of the Highland Glens
    The Shetland Islands
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    and finally

Electric Scotland News
    I'm going to try and bring you information on topics that will help to inform you about various aspects of Scotland and how they relate to whether Scotland should decide to say yes or no to Independence. For example one of the contentious issues is whether we should be a member of the EU. Right now most say we should retain membership of the EU but is that the right decision? Where can we go to read about this topic? I have to say I was quite content with being part of the EU but without any information to back that up. So what I hope to do is to provide you with reading material so you can make up your own mind. Mind you that will depend on my finding decent papers on both sides of the argument.

Right now we read in the press that Scotland (SNP) wants to retain membership but increasingly we hear that England (UK) wants out. Right now I'm not aware of any figures that show what Scotland sends to the EU and what it receives back from them. I did see a figure that suggested the average person in Scotland would be paying £23/$37 less a week on their food bills if we weren't in the EU and that is quite a lot of money.

Part of the reason for doing this is that I was talking to an author in Scotland last week and talking about this very matter. He was unaware of the possible benefits from not being in the EU and wondered where he could go to learn more.

So I hope to bring you a page where you can find this information and I'll also add the odd article to this newsletter as well.

-----

As some of you may have read or watched in the news the "idle no more" movement is getting a lot of Press coverage these days. I made use of Statistics Canada to extract some background information on the Aboriginal peoples of Canada. This you can read athttp://www.electriccanadian.com/history/first/index.htm where you can also read a lot of my research into the various tribes.

-----

We also note the passing of James Halliday. He was actually the first author to let us publish a book that was in print onto our web site which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...land/index.htm
    On US Tartan Day 6th April 2001 Electric Scotland and the Scots Independent newspaper joined forces to produce a Real Audio recording for the Tartan Day celebrations. Within that recording James Halliday gave a special address which he recorded at my then home in Grangemouth and you can listen to that at http://www.electricscotland.com/cult...tartan_day.htm

-----

And I have to say I'm a happy punter this week as I've finally found an article that describes the use of plants for medicinal and craft use. See the article on "Gaelic Names of Trees, Shrubs and Plants" below. I've been looking for this for years!

-----

On Friday, January 25, 2013, the Simon Fraser University Centre for Scottish Studies is again organizing a Marathon Recitation of Burns's Poetry and Song. Our goal is to break our 2012 record of 4 hours, 9 minutes and 24 seconds! We know it can be done and we know we will have a fun and inspirational time doing it!

The Recitation will be held at SFU Harbour Centre (515 West Hastings St., Vancouver) from 9am until 2:00pm. We are encouraging dignitaries, media, SFU students, faculty and staff as well as the numerous members of our vast Scottish community throughout the Lower Mainland to come out and read or sing their favourite work by Burns. (Or if you don’t have a favourite, we can supply you with one). The reading will be supplemented by piping, traditional food as well as other forms of entertainment. People from all over the world are ready to help us with our goal and we will have readers and singers joining us through Skype. This will certainly be a global event!

New this year, our wonderful friends at Men In Kilts Window Cleaning www.meninkilts.com will be on hand to take pictures of all the readers so everyone can have a reminder of the day they helped set the world record.

It would be wonderful if you’d like to participate and join us. Bring along your favourite Burns piece or we can help you find something to read (and even explain what it means). Please contact Tricia Barker tbarker@sfu.ca if you want to be a part of setting this new world record! If you’re not comfortable with reading please come and watch and join us for the celebration. There will be refreshments and entertainment for all!

Looking forward to seeing you on January 25, as we help make Burns’s famous words a reality:

Then let us pray, that come it may
    As come it will for a’ that . . .
    That Man to Man the warld o’er
    Shall brothers be an’ all that.

All are welcome to attend and cheer us on. To participate in the marathon reading, email Tricia Barker tbarker@sfu.ca

see the website at: http://www.scottish.sfu.ca/sfus_robert_burns_marathon

Electric Canadian

Canada in Flanders
    By Sir Max Aitken MP (1916)
    I have now completed all the appendix entries for this book and so it's now complete.
    You can read them at http://www.electriccanadian.com/forc...ders/index.htm

Canada and its Provinces
    In 22 volumes and Index

I have now started to add these volumes and the idea is to make one volume available each week until complete. Should you be interested in this series then you'll be able to dip into each volume during the week and thus be ready for the next volume appearing.

You can get to this collection towards the foot of our Canadian History page at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...nada/index.htm

Ojibway
    Information on the Ojibway in the US and Canada.

I have added information on the Ojibway which you can read at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...bway/index.htm

The Flag in the Wind
    This weeks edition was Compiled by Fraser Hudghton. This issue doesn't seem to have the usual Synopsis. They also note...

We are saddened to report the death of Jimmy Halliday, Chairman and guiding light of the Scots Independent since it became a private company in 1957. He had also been the youngest Chairman ever of the SNP from 1956 to 1960. Jimmy died in Ninewells Hospital, Dundee on Thursday 3rd January 2013, aged 85. He had been in apparently good health until mid December. His obituary and tributes will be published in the February Scots Independent.

You can read this weeks issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

Too Much Debt
    By Ronnie Morrison

When debts become unsupportable then individual and businesses go bust. When a marriage breaks up or the partners take a financial haircut and with a deep breath start over again. The experience is painful but valuable – we can’t avoid debt next time round - but we will use a long spoon. That is how Scotland should contemplate its independence.

The influence of moneylenders over society has always been significant – but never more than today when bank credit dominates the lives of all but 99% of the population. Nothing happens which does not make a profit or reduce public expenditure. Money should be a reward for making something useful or providing a worthwhile service; today the secret of survival is to make sure the debt and interest repayments are kept up. Financial Capitalism has triumphed over industrial capitalism; the real economy is sinking in a sea of debt; the means has become the end.
    This is the philosophy of Wall Street and The City of London and it dictates the political policies of Washington and Westminster. If we seek something better we will need to change our banking system. That will not happen in England or America and the EU has demonstrated that it will not happen in Brussels – certainly not in the foreseeable future. Nor will it happen in an independent Scotland which does not have its own currency and banking laws.
    Tucked away in a small corner of the YES campaign is the SDA (Scottish Democratic Alliance). It is the only registered political party advocating genuine banking reform. The London ‘establishment’ regards it as revolutionary and simplistic – because it is rational and understandable to the man in the street; they consider it impractical because it’s primary purpose is to serve the community – making a profit is also required, but that is secondary. Everyone knows the present system will eventually implode, but only after a disruptive war with society. So most politicians kick the can down the road. The SDA believes that Independence offers a unique opportunity to forestall this disaster and set a marker for others.

The technicalities are published on the SDA website and for the economists and academics the logic and principles are available online at http://www.scottishmonetaryreform.org.uk/6.html

For the average citizen it is easier to imagine an Independent Scotland as a sophisticated, self-supporting community which has had enough of bankers’ debt and economic stagnation and which has decided that the community will now take back its own credit and provide it for the benefit of the community rather than to satisfy the greed of irresponsible bankers and obscure financial markets.

This debate starts when someone asks – why not?

The Scottish Historical Review
    We have now added Volume 2 of this publication.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/review/

Songs from John Henderson
    A new song this week...
    Sue And Shug
    ['Shug' is an oft used name in Scotland for 'Hugh'.]

Lyrics composed by John Henderson on the 9th of January, 2013,
    to H. Sterling's 1912 music for the song, 'It's A Long Way From Dreamland To Loveland'.

Glossary for less obvious words:
    jos=sweethearts; leid=language; wags=waves; speer=ask; toom=empty; fell=risky

Introductory Music

The lang wauk fae his hoose tae Sue's hame
    Wis nivver a baither tae Shug,
    Fur the welcome she gied wis aft in jos' ain leid,
    Nae in wirds bit wi wags an' a hug.
    She wud aye pit her plaid roon her shooders,
    An' tak a ticht grup o' Shug's han,
    Syne leuk him in the ee, an' speer,"Fit's it tae be,
    Doon tae Glen Birk anse faar we stan?"
    E'en fan Shug said, "I'm thristy an' hungert",
    Sich wis nivver a baither tae Sue,
    Fur she'd lang kent Shug oan a toom stamach
    Hud nae wiss tae bill an' coo!

Sae Sue fan she lern'd Shug micht veesit
    Hud pieces oan jeely makt up,
    An' het cuppies o' tea anse a bottle o' bree
    Whilk sae gledly he'd aye aet an' sup.
    Syne thegither they'd ging doon the roddie,
    An' ower the brig tae the glen,
    Till they won thur quait neuk by its clair babblin' brook,
    Maistly saff fae cauld wind an' reyn.
    Gif ye've thochts aboot fat they gat uptae,
    I shair howp ye'll kep thase tae yersel,
    'Cept a saicret I'll noo let ye intae ....
    Naithin' they did wis fell!

Ay! thegither they'd ging doon the roddie,
    An' ower the brig tae the glen,
    Till they won thur quait neuk by its brisk babblin' brook,
    Maistly saff fae cauld wind an' reyn.
    Gif ye've thochts aboot fat they gat uptae,
    I shair howp ye'll kep thase tae yersel,
    'Cept a saicret I'll noo let ye intae ....
    Naithin' they did wis fell!

You can read more of John's songs mostly in the Doric language at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

Sir David Brewster
    We continue to add chapters and this week have added...

Chapter XVI - Notes of Life from 1855 to 1860
    Chapter XVII - Characteristics

You can read these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...n/brewster.htm

Some Reminiscences and the Bagpipe
    By Alexander Duncan Fraser

Have added the following chapters this week...

Chapter IX — Old New Year: A Reminiscence
    Chapter X — An Interesting Byway
    Chapter XI — The Delicately-Attuned Ear and the Bagpipe
    Chapter XII — The Musician and the Bagpipe
    Chapter XIII — A Highland Instrument
    Chapter XIV — The Bagpipe, the National Instrument

In the chapter "Old New Year: A Reminiscence" we read...

TO-DAY is New-Year’s Day, the first of January, 1 1904. In my young days, the Twelfth, a date now all but forgotten, was the day, and a great day too! The whole village, dressed in its Sunday best, turned out early to football and shinty.

There were no restrictions in numbers or in age: old and young met on the same field, and all were made welcome. Twenty! Fifty! One hundred a side ! And the more the merrier.

How well I remember the old days!

My heart still beats faster at the thoughts conjured up by them.

We are told somewhere that “A thousand years is to the Lord as one day;” and what is the longest of lifetimes when looked back upon, to man made in His image—to man the Godlike?

It is but as yesterday.

The memory of events that happened on a certain New Year’s Day some forty years ago, rises up before me while I write, clear and distinct as crag and scaur on summer hill before rain.

My dearest school friend and myself—we were as David and Jonathan in the closeness of our friendship !—were to take part in the game of football for the first time. How proud we felt, as we marched alongside of our seniors to the bank field, which was granted free for the occasion by Campbell of Auchindarroch,—the Pipers leading the way to the tune of “Bhanais, a bhanais, a bhanais a Raora.” .

There was a cool crisp feeling in the air that intoxicated, and many an iron-shod boot struck out anvil-notes from the hard ground as we made our way to the scene of action, making music in hearts already brimming over with the joy of gladness.

You can the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter09.htm

You can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/bagpipe

Songs Of Scotland, Prior To Burns
    This book is by Robert Chambers who is famous for collecting old Scottish Songs. His publishing house produced numerous very important works many of which he authored himself. On the page for this book is a biography of him along with another song book he published.

We are adding individual songs in pdf format so you can print them out. As each song provides the sheet music, words and notes about the song it should be of great help to anyone wanting to play these. Added this week are...

The Auld Stuarts Back Again
    The Highland Muster Roll
    Kenmures On and Awa Willie

You can get to this book at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

Scenes and Stories of the North of Scotland
    By John Sinclair (1890)

Now completed this book and the chapters include...

Chapter I. - Loch Duich, Ross-shire
    Chapter II. - The Black Rock, Ross-shire
    Chapter III. - The Island of Lewis
    Chapter IV. - Assynt in Sutherland
    Chapter V. - The Caithness Coast
    Chapter VI. - The Town of Thurso
    Chapter VII. - The Shetland Islands

The book index page is at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scenes/

Year of the Sheep
    An article from the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness.

Some time ago a Highland friend favoured me with an account of Bliadhna nan Caorach; or “The Year of the Sheep,” which I wished him to give to the Gaelic Society. From native modesty or some other cause he however declined even to allow his name to be mentioned in connection with Bliadhna nan Caorach; hut at the same time suggested that I should use the information. Of this suggestion I gladly availed myself, and at once began to collect further information on the subject. "When I had finished my researches, I was very dubious as to how I should proceed—whether to narrate briefly the event, or to quote at length the different documents which came into my possession. Believing that it would be of value to have all the information available on the subject preserved in such a record as the Transactions of our Society, I resolved to give most of the documents, &c., which came into my hands at considerable length.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...cles/sheep.htm

Parish of Rosskeen

The Parish of Rosskeen is situated on the northern shore of the Cromarty Firth, along which it extends a distance of five miles from the east end of Saltburn to the River Alness. It is wedge-shaped, 18 miles long from south-east to north-west, and about 5 miles broad near the east end. It comprises an area of 54 square miles, of which about 15 square miles are arable. The lower part of the parish is partially flat and partially undulating. The soil is of average richness in the lower portions, but poor in some of the higher portions, especially where the cultivation extends to from 600 feet to 1000 feet above the sea level. The inland portions are hilly, some of the eminences reaching heights of 2300 feet. A valley stretches along the south-west side a length of 15 miles, the first seven miles from the sea called the valley of the Alness, the next 4 miles Strathrusdale, and the remaining 4 miles Glackshellach. Nearly parallel to the valley of the Alness along the north side of the parish is the valley of the Achnacloich water, extending to about 6 miles.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...s/rosskeen.htm

Gaelic Names of Trees, Shrubs and Plants
    With notices of some of the uses to which they were put by the old Highlanders, and the superstitions connected with them.

I have to say that I am more than delighted with this article as it is just the information I have been looking for for years! Due to all the Gaelic spellings I have also provided a pdf of this article which you can download at the foot of the page.

Here is one example to read here...

Alder.—Latin, Alnus Glutinosa — Gaelic, Fearna.—This well-known tree is a native of the Highlands, where it grows to perfection all over the country by the side of streams, and in wet marshy places. It seems in former times to have grown even more abundantly, and that in places where now not a tree of this or any other kind is to be found. This is proved by the many names of places derived from this tree, such as Glen Fernate—Gleann Fearnaite—in Athole; Fearnan in Breadalbane; Fearn in Ross-shire; Fernaig in Lochalsh, &c. In a suitable situation the alder will grow to a great size. There is mention made in the account of the parish of Kenmore, in the “New Statistical Account of Scotland”, of an alder tree growing in the park of Taymouth Castle, the circumference of which, in 1844, was 12 feet 8 inches. The wood of this tree resembles mahogany so much that it is generally known as “Scotch Mahogany.” It is very red and rather brittle, but very durable, especially under water. Lightfoot, the learned author of the “ Flora Scotica,” mentions that, when he accompanied Pennant on his famous “Tour” in 1772, the Highlanders then used alder very much for making chairs and other articles of furniture, which were very handsome and of the colour of mahogany. He mentions that it was much used by them for carving into bowls, spoons, &c., and also for the very curious use of making heels for women’s shoes. It was once very much used, and in some parts of the Highlands it is still commonly used, for dyeing a beautiful black colour. By boiling the bark or young twigs with copperas it gives a very durable colour, and supplies the black stripes in homemade tartan. A decoction of the leaves was counted an excellent remedy for burnings and inflammations, and the fresh leaves laid upon swellings are said to dissolve them and stay the inflammation. The old Highlanders used to put fresh alder leaves to the soles of their feet when they were much fatigued with long journeys or in hot weather, as they allayed the heat and refreshed them very much. Our ancestors were sharp enough to discover the curious fact that the alder wood splits best from the root, whereas all other trees split best from the top, which gave rise to the old Gaelic saying, “Gach fiodh o na bliarr, ’s an fhearna o’ na bhun.”

You can get to this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/agriculture/plants.htm

Old Highland Industries

In these days of great factories and concentration of labour in the production of articles required for the daily use of man, it may be interesting and profitable to recall some of the old and peculiar modes employed by our countrymen for providing food, clothing, and implements, but which modes have now almost disappeared.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...industries.htm

The Highland Garb

In these days of Celtic revival, it may not be out of place to take up the subject of the garb of the Highlanders. A good deal has already been written on this subject, and the age and authenticity of the dress have been very severely criticised. This, in many cases, has been more the result of prejudice and jealousy than careful and impartial research. To be able to form an intelligent opinion of any subject, it is necessary to be perfectly familiar with the details, and in this many of the critics on the Highland dress have been wofully far short. No doubt some of them have been very clever, learned, and able writers, but that is no reason why their decision should be taken as final, even at this age, when the “Garb of Old Gaul” is oftener seen in the streets of our busy towns, in the brilliant assemblies of the metropolis, or on the burning sands of India, than on its own native heath.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...icles/garb.htm

The Clearance of the Highland Glens
    An article from the Gaelic Society of Inverness.

After forty years absence from this part of the country I shall state the opinions that I now entertain of matters in the Highlands. I shall as briefly as possible place before you the impressions on my mind with regard to the most prominent changes in the Highlands during this long interval.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../clearance.htm

The Shetland Islands
    Have added two very interesting books to our Shetland page...

Shetland Folk-Lore

and

Shetland Fireside Tales

You can read these books at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/shetland.htm

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree

As Beth is still working on her new software she is sending me in some snippets so for the time being I've just decided to add them to this newsletter.

Ann Jackson undergoes bypass surgeryAnn Jackson, of the Triad Highland Games, has undergone successful heart bypass surgery, according to Keets Taylor. If anyone wants to send a card the address is:
    Ann Jackson
    307 Gregg Street
    Archdale, NC 27263

Epidemics written by Bryan Mulcahy
    Throughout human history, peoples all across the world have been ravaged by epidemics. While most of these occurred prior to our modern advances in medicine, there are many parts of the world today where these issues continue to happen. Historically, when epidemics occur, entire towns and families are wiped out. Due to the fear of spreading disease, the remains were burned quickly with little if any effort made to document the names of the deceased or contact next of kin living outside the area or abroad.

The United States has faced its share of epidemics throughout our history. Two of the most sever were the yellow fever outbreak that swept through the South in 1841 and the infamous 1918 Spanish flu outbreak which quickly throughout the world eventually hitting the United States. This latter epidemic claimed the lives of an estimated 25 to 40 million people. Epidemics were often rampant in many parts of the country as part of our western expansion into the interior in the 1800s.

Our ancestors had a much shorter life span than modern medicine has allowed our current generations to enjoy. Two of the most common causes of death were wars and epidemics. If you encounter a situation where your ancestors or a large number of residents within a given locality or region disappeared during a certain period of time in history, and there is no evidence of any war related explanation, an epidemic is a strong possibility. If an epidemic occurred within a given community, an event of this magnitude could be mentioned in any published county histories for the locality or region. The local health department of the community in question would be another source for information.
    Many cases of people disappearing from records can be traced to dying during an epidemic or moving away from the affected region. Our companion study guide by the same title Epidemics will provide a comprehensive listing of the epidemics that have occurred within the continental United States.

Bryan Mulcahy, M.L.S., Reference Librarian | Ft. Myers - Lee County Public Library
    2050 Central Ave., Ft. Myers, FL 33901-3917 Email Bryan at bmulcahy@leegov.com
    Voice 239-533-4626 | Fax 239-485-1160 leelibrary.net

Flowers of the Forest
    Julia Temple Monroe Woodward
    July 8, 1914 - December 9, 2012
    Member of the St. Andrew Society of Tallahassee, FL

Turnbull Clan Association Membership Changes
    The Clan Turnbull officers and members have approved a new membership policy to begin in 2013. Based on work done by outgoing TCA President Rhet Turnbull, this is a more open membership approach designed to increase participation in the clan association, especially by our younger members.

This new membership structure will continue to provide all of the same benefits to which you are accustomed plus more, including the Bullseye newsletters, web information, participation in Scottish games and events, and genealogy. Membership is free to all in order to attract younger members. Members who have been supporting the clan with dues are encouraged to continue to do so.

This new social model of membership, available for free to all Turnbull clan members, is a result of changes in the way people now interact with each other. Social contact is often virtual (online) and casual. It is personal and is more about family and friends than about history and heritage. Consequently, TCA’s policies have been redesigned to support the virtual and physical interaction of family and friends while encouraging knowledge of our clan history and heritage.

Anyone who is a Turnbull or a member of an allied sept is already a member of the Turnbull Clan. That is his or her birthright and is part of the foundation of the clan system. Another important part of the clan foundation is the concept of being united and coming together to support each other. That is also a primary purpose of our Turnbull Clan Association. TCA provides a way for clan members to unite virtually as well as in person and to share socially from all over the world.

Membership registration is free and easy. The computer screen pictures in the article attached to this message illustrate the simple steps involved. Please note that you will generally be expected to maintain your account through the TCA website. If you are unable to do so you may email account change requests to: secretary@turnbullclan.com.

Because Bullseye newsletter notifications are sent by email and most interaction is online, it will be better if each member of your household has his/her own separate TCA account. Please encourage everyone including youth and young adults to register. Every member must have a unique login name and email address. If you use a single household email address, be sure to share your Turnbull web login and newsletter announcements.

Please do the following:
    • Using your computer web browser go to: www.turnbullclan.com
    • Click on the login button.
    • Login on the left side of the page with this information: Username: Beth13 Password: Fortuna2013
    • Change your password. (You may also change your usersame to one you will remember more easily.)
    • Update your account profile information.
    • If possible, please register as a contributing member to support clan programs with your dues.
    • Join the Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/turnbull
    • Like Turnbull Facebook page: www.facebook.com/TurnbullClan
    • Encourage other Turnbulls, including youth and young adults, to join the Turnbull Clan Association.
    • Participate in clan activities and share your family news on Facebook and the Bullseye to editor@turnbullclan.com
    • Be sure to read the attached newsletter for additional information and illustrated login instructions.

Upcoming Genealogical Programs at Fort Myers-Lee County Library
    February-March 2013

All library programs are free and open to the public. Registration is strongly recommended due to limited seating. Patrons may register online at leelibrary.net; by e-mailing me at bmulcahy@leegov.com; or by calling 239-479-4636.
    February Beginners Series
    Saturday February 2, 9, 16, and 23
    Speaker: Gina Hamister – Western Reserve Historical Society, New England Historical Genealogical Register Board of Directors
    Time: 10:00am-12:15pm
    Session One: Using Home Sources and Organizing Your Research
    Session Two: Fining Your Family in the United States Census
    Session Three: Using Court House Resources and Vital Records
    Session Four: Using Alternative or Hidden Resources for Locating Ancestors.
    Registration is required.
    Surname Searching..Ya Gotta Think Outside the Box
    Monday, February 11, 2013
    Speaker: Joanne Ryder – SW Florida Germanic Genealogy Society, Charlotte County Genealogical Society
    Time: 9:30am-11:00am

The most basic piece of information about ancestor families is the surname, yet this piece of information can be confusing and complex. Because of the many changes surnames have undergone, we may look in the right place and the right time frame and still not recognize our ancestor. This is one area of genealogy in which you have to be extremely creative... and "think outside of the box!

Timelines and Genealogical Research
    Monday, February 25, 2012

Speaker: Joanne Ryder – SW Florida Germanic Genealogy Society, Charlotte County Genealogical Society
    Timelines can be an invaluable tool for genealogical research. Understanding the events that were the backdrop for your ancestors' lives will give you new insight about how they lived and the decisions they made. Learn how to put a timeline together to see a clearer picture of the lifetime of your ancestor.

Problem Solving in German Research
    Monday, March 11, 2013

"I can't find him anywhere! There are no records!" If these sounds like the situations or roadblocks that you are encountering, this seminar is for you. Learn some tips of where and how to crumble the "brick wall" of your German ancestor.

Beginners Genealogy Workshop
    Speakers: Carolyn Ford – Lee County Genealogical Society; Bryan L. Mulcahy-Reference Librarian, Fort Myers-Lee County Library
    Saturday, March 23 , 2012
    Time: 9:30am-12:30pm

This one day seminar will introduce the concepts of genealogical research in a concise manner. Attendees will have the opportunity to begin the process of filling out forms, charts, and how to compile family information. We will also discuss the process of learning historical details about the lives of our ancestors. Knowing the historical context often plays a key role in understanding why certain life decisions were made. We will discuss the 10 main steps involved in successful research.

DNA and Genealogical Research
    Saturday, March 30, 2013

Speakers: Ms. Kathleen Callanan - Professional Genealogist – Lee County Genealogical Society and Bryan L. Mulcahy – Reference Librarian – Fort Myers-Lee County Library
    Time: 9:30am – 12:30pm

This will be a continuation of the December lecture and discuss additional information and findings as DNA testing continues influence genealogical research in multiple ways. The number of people participating in the testing process has increased dramatically within the past three years. The increased participation has opened up many new options and scenarios that may impact personal research for many genealogists.

Bryan Mulcahy, M.L.S.
    Reference Librarian | Ft. Myers - Lee County Public Library
    2050 Central Ave.
    Ft. Myers, FL 33901-3917
    bmulcahy@leegov.com
    Voice 239-533-4626 | Fax 239-485-1160
    leelibrary.net

FLOWERS OF THE FOREST
    We are saddened to learn of the death of Bruce Sinclair, 94, who passed away on September 4, 2012 in Walnut Creek, California. Bruce was a long time member of the Clan Sinclair. Bruce will be missed by his family and friends.

Clan Mactavish Membership Secretary Carol Stephenson Honored by the Caledonian Society of Cincinnati
    Congratulations to Carol Stephenson on her induction into the Order of St. Margaret at the Caledonian Society of Cincinnati's annual St. Andrew's Ball. As the oldest Caledonian Society in the U.S. (est. in 1827), it has a rich traditional history. As the award was not announced ahead of time, Carol was most pleasantly surprised when the Society's President announced that Carol would receive the Order of St. Margaret. This honor is bestowed on women members from time-to-time (not every year) to recognize someone's efforts in supporting the Caledonian Society. Carol was honored for all she does to promote awareness of Scotland's history and Highland traditions.

Clan Mactavish sets dates for 2013 AGM
    Mark your calendars now for September 14th and 15th, 2013.

Our Annual General Membership Meeting (AGM) will be held that Saturday at the Columbus Highland Festival in Columbus, Indiana. Stay tuned for more information. If you have any questions, contact Mark Stephenson, our Region 5 Commi-sioner at mstephen-son@cinci.rr.com or Carol Stephenson, our Membership Secretary and the Indiana Commissioner at cstephenson@cinci.rr.com .

And finally...

One for your Burns Supper...

A Hotline

Abbreviations can remind us of the perpetual joke about the patient being wheeled into the emergency room from the ambulance muttering in delirium, 'Wee sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie!'

In the background a nurse can be heard calling urgently for a porter to take the patient to the .... yes, you've guessed .... the Burns Unit."

----

Why Men are seldom depressed

Men Are Just Happier People -- What do you expect from such simple creatures?

Your last name stays put.
    The garage is all yours.
    Wedding plans take care of themselves.
    Chocolate is just another snack.
    You can be President.
    You can never be pregnant.
    You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park.
    You can wear NO shirt to a water park.
    Car mechanics tell you the truth.
    The world is your urinal.
    You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky.
    You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt.
    Same work, more pay.
    Wrinkles add character.
    Wedding dress $5000. Tux rental $100.
    People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them.
    New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet.
    One mood all the time.
    Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat.
    You know stuff about tanks.
    A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase.
    You can open all your own jars.
    You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness.
    If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend.
    Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack.
    Three pairs of shoes are more than enough.
    You almost never have strap problems in public.
    You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.
    Everything on your face stays its original color.
    The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades.
    You only have to shave your face and neck.
    You can play with toys all your life.
    One wallet and one pair of shoes -- one color for all seasons.
    You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look.
    You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife.
    You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache.
    You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives 0n December 24 in 25 minutes.

No wonder men are happier.

And if the ladies would like to send in their version we'd be happy to publish it in the next issue <grin>

And that's it for now and hope you all have a great weekend.

Alastair
Working...
X