Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places of Interest about Girvan

By Rev. R. Lawson (1892)

This book, like Places of Interest about Maybole, took its origin from my Monthly Letters. In these, I have been in the habit of giving sketches of the more interesting places in the neighbourhood, illustrated by drawings provided for me by various obliging friends. During the last two years I have been engaged in sketching the places of interest about Girvan, my native town, and now that I have finished these, I have thought it right to gather them into a volume, that the two towns, in one or other of which most of my life has been spent, may be equally recognised by me in such fashion as I am enabled.

As to the drawings, which form such an attractive feature of the volume, I may mention that most of them have been furnished by my friend Mr Robert Bryden, A.R.P.E., South Kensington, London, who has all along freely helped me in the books I have written. Nine of them have been furnished by my young friend and townsman, Mr William Bone, Architect, Kilmarnock, who has also been forward with his pencil in lending me assistance. The drawing of Bennan Head was sketched by a lady friend, once resident in the neighbourhood; that of the Hole in the Rock by Miss Gray, Lendal School; and that of Lendal Bay by a native of Maybole, Mr David M'Gill, London, from a painting by Mr William Muir, Girvan.

Any one who looks on the book, and remembers the necessarily limited constituency to which it appeals, must see that it is not published for profit. It is published for the good of such people in the district as have a taste for the history of it, and to these, young and old, it is inscribed with my hearty good wishes.

And so we now embark on this book which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rvan/index.htm
Working...
X