The History of Blairgowrie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of Blairgowrie

Town, Parish and District being an account of the Origin and Progress of the Burgh from the Earliest Period with a description of the Antiquities, Topography, Civil History, Ecclesiastical and Parochial Records, Institutions, Public Works, Manufactures, Legends, Sports, Statistics, and Biographical Sketches of Eminent Persons, etc. by John A. R. MacDonald (1899)

Preface

“The Barony of Blairgowrie—a gift fit even tor a Queen to bestow.”—Queen Mary to Ronald Graeme..

THE volume now published has been the work of my leisure for many months, but the collecting and compiling has been the labour of nearly fifteen years. During that period the MS. has been revised, condensed, and re-written five times. It was undertaken more from regard to the necessity of meeting a want long felt to exist than from any sense of fitness for the task. The Rev. James Johnstone’s contribution to the Statistical Account of Scotland is very valuable, and is reproduced in its entirety, yet lip to 1865, when Ireland’s handbook was issued, no History of Blairgowrie existed. In supplying the want referred to, I have endeavoured to collect and compile, as far as possible, the historical facts, records, and traditions, in the hope that they will interest and gratify the sons and daughters of “ Rest and be thankful,” especially those scattered abroad, with the memories of the good old town.

I desire to express my obligations to those writers (a list of whom is given) of whose labours I have availed myself, and also to many townsmen who have kindly afforded me the use of materials in their possession, or communicated information tending to make the volume more complete To Rev. Robert Kemp, M.A., for the “Parochial Registers”; to Mr G. S. Duncan, P.S.A., Scot., for "Church Records”; to Mr William Davie, for “Notes on Blairgowrie”; to Mr A. Davidson Smith, O.A., Edinburgh, Secretary of Royal Caledonian Curling Club, for permission to reproduce the illustration, “Curlers of Blairgowrie”; to Messrs C. & R. Anderson, publishers of “North British Agriculturist,” Edinburgh, for block of “John Pauton”; to Mr John L. Ford, merchant, for blocks “At Blairgowrie,” “The Square, Wellmeadow,” “Keith Falls,” and “Craighall”; to Mr J. E. Butchart, litho. artist, and Mr Robert Blackwood, lithographer, Dundee, for the excellent litho. portraits and sketches; and to Mr Alex. Allan, of the “Blairgowrie Advertiser,” for all other blocks reproduced in the volume.

My thanks are specially due to Mr John Christie, of the “Blairgowrie Advertiser,” for his valuable assistance in the correction of proof sheets, and in the supervision of the work while passing through the press.

I trust that the volume (imperfect as it may be) now submitted to the indulgent consideration of the public, will promote an intelligent and healthy interest in all that pertains to the Town, Parish, and District.

J. A. R. M.
    16 Newton Street, Blairgowrie, 3rd March, 1899.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...wrie/index.htm

Alastair
Working...
X