X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Reminiscences and the Bagpipe

By Alexander Duncan Fraser

PREFACE

This little work is the outcome of a series of lectures given by me at intervals during the last twelve years to different Highland Societies. It is also an expression of the indignation which so much false criticism of the Great War Pipe of the Highlands, repeated in my hearing year after year, has aroused within me.

I take this opportunity of apologising for the style and diction of the book—it is difficult for one so unused to the pen as I am, to change the spoken into the written word.

The few sentences in Gaelic are spelt for the most part phonetically.

My best thanks are due to all who have helped me in any way, and especially to those kind friends who have put themselves to much trouble and expense in their endeavour to add to my collection of Bagpipes.

In two or three instances, I have spoken in depreciation of other peoples’ writings, but the reputation of these writers stands too high to be affected by the criticisms of a single and unknown individual like myself.

The motives which have impelled me to write have nothing personal in them.

My whole life has been devoted to the relief of suffering, nor would I hurt for the sake of hurting, but if anything I have said here in defence of the “dear old Bagpipe” should happen to give offence to any man,—“even unto the least of these,”—I here and now heartily apologise.

In conclusion, allow me to state that no one can be more alive to the many imperfections of this work —to its many inaccuracies—than I am ; therefore gentle reader, however severe your criticism otherwise may be,

“ . . . Accuse me not
    Of arrogance ...”
    A. D. F.

You can read this book as we get it up at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/bagpipe/

Alastair

Working...
X