The mither tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mither tongue

A group set up to advise Ministers on the profile and needs of the Scots language has published its recommendations today, setting out proposals to enhance the status of Scots and promote the use of all its dialects.

The work of the Group focused on sectors that have the potential to increase the use and status of Scots, including education, broadcasting, publishing, literature and the arts.

The report sets out practical and achievable recommendations in these key areas. Ministers will now consider the report and its recommendations before responding formally to the Group.

The Group's recommendations, which are outlined in detail in the report, include the development of a national Scots language policy, increased support for Scots in education, a greater profile for Scots in the media, and the establishment of a network of Scots co-ordinators.

Culture Minister Fiona Hyslop said:

"I welcome publication of the report of the Scots Language Working Group and thank the members for their detailed and thoughtful recommendations.

"Scots is a key part our heritage and culture. It is important that we look at ways of improving the status and use of Scots throughout Scotland. This report offers us practical recommendations on how we can make progress with this aim.

"The Scottish Government will give serious consideration to this report and respond formally in due course.

"At this stage, I am particularly interested in making progress on establishing the network of co-ordinators which could really drive promotion of the language at a local level. I have seen at first-hand the positive impact Falkirk schools are seeing following an increase in use of Scots in the classroom. The proposed network would allow sharing of experiences and encourage an increase in the use of Scots in the classroom.

"I am keen to continue to support the work of our funded Scots bodies. I also want to raise awareness of the Scots question in the 2011 Census.

"I am confident that these recommendations and others would enable us to make good progress with our aim of enhancing the status of Scots."

J Derrick McClure, Chair of the Scots Language Working Group, said:

"We have produced a full and detailed set of recommendations for enhancing the place of Scots in the national life and have endeavoured to ensure that these are realistic and achievable.

"I count it as a great privilege to have been asked to chair this Ministerial Group and believe this has been an important task. All the members of the Group have established reputations for work in and for the Scots language, and I have greatly appreciated their support.

"The members of the Group confidently look forward to subsequent developments."
Working...
X