Old Time Fiddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Time Fiddle

Since today is the eighth of January, I thought I would post an old time fiddle tune titled the eighth of January

Re: Old Time Fiddle

The following is copied from the Library of Congress website: Today in History: January 8. . .

On January 8, 1815, Major General Andrew Jackson led a small, poorly-equipped army to victory against eight thousand British troops at the Battle of New Orleans. The victory made Jackson a national hero. Although the American victory was a big morale boost for the young nation, its military significance was minimal as it occurred after the signing (although before ratification) of the Treaty of Ghent that officially ended the war between the U.S. and Great Britain. The battle was fought before word of the Treaty reached the respective armies in the field. The anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans was widely celebrated with parties and dances during the nineteenth century, especially in the South.

A traditional fiddle tune commemorating the event came to be known as "Jackson's Victory" or "The Eighth of January."

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/jan08.html
    Last edited by miolchu; 8 January 2011, 22:41. Reason: add a link

Comment

Question arose in my mind...who is playing guitar accompaniment??? Perhaps this guy laid down the guitar track on tape, then came back & recorded this on video over it??? Joan

Comment

It sounds like the fiddler had a device that plays backing tracks for him while he played his instrument. There are a lot of YouTube videos where a soloist plays backing tracks on iPods and other instruments. I suspect that this is the case hear because prerecorded backing tracks tend to sound like Muzac elevator music.

Comment

I found this for FriedaKateM. This is an all -women group called Uncle Earl. This tune is called "Brown's Dream" and has two fiddlers. Enjoy!

Comment

Hey...Tom... I have heard of "Uncle Earl", but never heard them. I do like some of the youtube videos, but kinda think that the sound is rather distorted at times. Much more pleasant to listen to cd's or DVD's. I love going to fiddle contests, and if I were a judge, my picks would be different than what someone else picks. Of, course in contests, there're always little kids, & then middle agers playing. Then...the seniors, of which I know some!! I hope soon I'll be able to get back to learning how to play the guitar!! Still have cracks in thumbs & fingers. We're going to have major rains coming, & I can predict this because my left knee hurts!!! Appreciate your sharing music with me. Many ta's...Joan

Comment

In an earlier post you mentioned that you liked a DVD where some bluegrass musicians recorded with a Scottish artist. The U.S. has a world class Scottish style fiddler by the name of Laura Cortese. If you can find any of her music I think you might enjoy it.

Comment

A lot of YouTube video has poor audio tracks, especially when recording live events because the individuals recording are using cell phones or low cost digital video recorders. They will not have the bandwidth that commercially recorded music has.

Comment

Working...
                X