Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Point of View: Does more information mean we know less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Point of View: Does more information mean we know less?

A VERY interesting article on the BBC web site yesterday and today.

Here is the link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12191104

One has to wonder, just how much the internet has influenced, the scenario.

Ranald

Re: A Point of View: Does more information mean we know less?

Ranald, I saw an article on one of my on-line newspapers today, that was quite similar to this one. In my opinion, the young "movers & shakers" are all leaning too hard on the hand held doohickeys (?) that they use. When we were kids, we learned how to add & subtract, & multiply numbers, & can still do it. Another thing I feel is lacking in the schools is teaching the kids how to actually write cursive, as I remember sitting at an old carved-up, with initials, etc., desk, which had an actual inkwell, with a real bottle of ink in it, with a wooden pen holder & a metal tip...and learning how to write on those sheets of blue lined paper. (Believe it or not, I've had younger women tell me now how pretty my handwriting is!!) I feel that there are too many distractions in our lives now, not counting the computer. (heh?) But some of the common courtesies such as listening truly to each other, & saying please & thankyou, are more or less lost now. (I know, I sound like an old cranky lady!!!) Two of my pet peeves are when you say thank-you, the other person says "No problem!" What does that mean? Does it replace "You're welcome." ? Then, I walked into a hardware store not long ago, & the younger woman said to me..."What's UP?" I very nearly told her what I did think about this. I never knew before that I had good manners, but I guess I do. I have also sent $ to relatives like when they get married, & never get a thankyou note, or any response at all. What has happened to our society??? I'll unwind now...Thanks to all, Joan

Comment

Joan, the old brain is still working, and it has only just now remembered of an inkwell, that I found on a forest path near my home.

A small part of it was visible, and I carefully extracted it from the ground. The area belongs to property with the name of Callendar Estates, and was probably used for 'dumping' items no longer required.

Callendar House was taken over by the council and nearly knocked down, but at the last moment was saved, restored, and is now the main Falkirk museum.

The house also is the location for our historian to whom (after cleaning it) I took the inkwell for possible dating. It was given as 17th to 18 century.

Out of interest I attach a photo.

Here is a link to Callendar House museum:

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/t...dar_house.aspx

Ah me, happy memories !

Ranald
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ranald; 19 July 2011, 17:01. Reason: added a link

Comment

I used to have good hand writing when I used a fountain pen but when biros came out my hand writing went to hell. From my point of view I'm now just glad that I can use the keyboard.

Alastair

Comment

There is something to all of this and it has happened before. The preliterate world prided themselves on training their memory and trained their youngsters to train their minds by emphasizing memory. Then came writing. Rote memorization was somehow not quite as important anymore. Then in the late 19th and early 20th century when knowledge became more specialized, youngsters who were being groomed for the professions were trained in rhetoric - to use writing and speaking to get a point across with some authority and, in the process, learn some critical thinking skills. Rhetoric took a hiatus after the second world war. Then came the computer revolution that took computing out of the academic and government institutions and into average homes. The computer generation didn't have to remember quite as much, but did have to learn to tell the difference between fertilizer and shinola with the advent of the internet (there is more coal than diamonds out there). I assume in 10 or 20 years some new development will come along that will have the computer generation concerned about what it will do to their children and bemoan that new development.

Comment

Ranald, the ones we had, I think it was in the 4th grade, were glass!!!! And I'm not sure, as my own brain just flashed this memory.....we got ink "powder" in large cans, & had to mix it with H2O!! When I sign my checks, I always use my middle initial as taught at that time, but when putting name down other places, I "print" it. Lots of people wouldn't know exactly what that initial was, IF I did not print.

My grandson, who will be 13 on Sunday, cannot write cursive!! His handwriting is horrible. Something I just thought of, that the state of Indiana has proclaimed that "cursive" writing will NOT be taught in schools now. (I may have said that at a previous time, if so, forgive me.)

I really liked your ink well, as I love primitive type antiques!!! So...likely do I like some of our "human
            antiques" on this great site!!! Your pal, Joan PS: for Tom....When in high school, we particularly had to memorize poetry....A WHOLE LOT!!!! And some Shakespeare...Out, out, damxx spot!! Is this a handle that I see, handle towards my hand? Come, let me clutch thee....
            Last edited by FriedaKateM; 20 July 2011, 20:21. Reason: of course, add on!!

Comment

Ya a readable and intersting article. I know most fans seem to feel Blake is going to continue being Robin and will just. But when we see him, we see him from the point of view of a man information imparted to other characters, and the most important point is the idea “anyone could be Batman” does not mean any person could...
              :pirate::laugh2:

Comment

Working...
              X