Smart Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Phones

I got a phone call from Rogers telling me my 3 year contract is up and they offered me a new phone and a new contract.

That made me think about what I wanted to do on the mobile market. I had just read about a new upgrade to our community which would allow a dedicated app for the smart phones to connect to us. This would allow you to browse the message and enter messages and also attach pictures. I figured it was thus time to get a smart phone so I could test these things out.

After wandering the web I decided to go for an Android phone, the HCT Desire HD. My decision was based on the few things I do with my mobile which is actually mostly to do with taking pictures. I've only ever had a mobile for emergency use so rarely make phone calls on it. Also as I work from home there is minimal need for me to communicate outside unless I am going away for a day or more.

And so the key here is that this phone has a larger screen which I hope will let me read the screen without having to use my reading glasses. Looking at the demo model it seemed this would work. It also has an 8Mb camera built in. I'm also not into texting or doing emails on the go so have no real need to type in much but if I did have that requirement I might have looked at the Blackberry.

It seemed to me that Android was moving ahead of the iPhone in popularity and so it perhaps had a more interesting future and of course having Google nanigation is certainly useful.

So placed an order today and get to pick it up tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out.

Given the thouand of apps out there it makes me wonder if we shouldn't have a dedicated Smart Phone forum so we could discuss useful apps. What do you think?

Alastair

Re: Smart Phones

My cellphone contract is up the end of August. I will cancel it. All I want to do with a cell is make a call or take a call. I have my computer for everything else. I can get 300 minutes a month for $ 30.00 with a TracFone. My local cell company wants $ 1.68 a minute for internet access. I don't need that kind of access that bad for that price.

Comment

I guess being a web publisher means I do need to take account of how people visit my web sites and community. It seems to me that many more are using their mobile devices to access the sites and so I need to see if I can improve their experience.

Like the new update of our software that runs this community has a new mobile interface on offer. I do want to see how well it works.

In actual fact we've had a big discussion this end about moving from the 800 pixel width of the site to 1000 but I feel due to the increase in mobile access that it's actually become a benefit in us being at 800.

My current plan with Rogers costs me $36.95 a month including taxes. This new phone and plan with Telus will cost me $65.00 a month for a voice and data plan plus taxes. But I do see this as a business expense. They actually have a neat data calculator which you can use to estimate your data usage. You can see this at http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/m...NTCMP=datacalc

I suspect I would have been OK on the lower plan at $50.00 but I do expect to use it quite a bit to begin with but I can change the plan at any time to reflect my actual usage.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Al, i have a smartphone, i use it for checking email on the hour and texting. I don't use it much for placing calls, however it's handy to have for incoming calls. I have umpteen apps for it,including Opera web browser, Messenger, Youtube,Facebook, and various apps for news and weather.
        An app for Electric Scotland would be nice also, so i'll be happy if you include one!
        Euan..

Comment

I've just got my new phone so still learning about it. I did go to the community and it offered me the app Tapatalk for I think $2.00 which I didn't purchase although I might later as I get to know what it can do.

Alastair

Comment

Al, i have followed your lead and picked up a new HTC Incredible 7 today, it's only been on the market a couple of weeks, so i'm quite happy to be up there with the young techies..! I haven't had time to play around and work out the features yet, but it sure looks like a great phone. Like you i need glasses to use a phone, especially when texting or typing emails, so this phone should make things easier for me.
            A dedicated forum for smartphones would be nice, i will probably need a bit of help here and there....
            Euan..

Comment

And no sooner asked than done. I've just added a Smart Phone forum :-)

Alastair

Comment

Hey, fellows....I guess I'm in the category of a "stupid" phone, as compared to a smartphone!!! I have a VirginMobile acct., with a $20 phone from Walmart. I rarely use this cell phone, as mainly got used to having one while working as a case manager, & had ended up in my car in a ditch in the deep snow, & had to call supervisor, 911, etc., & even then, sat there for 3 hours before getting help. However, I am pleased with my Virgin acct, as it's only contract is $20 every 90 days, unless you burn up the minutes, then you need to put more $ in. Only occasionally do I have to put more $ in. I use it sometimes, to call long distance, but have to sit on the front porch, as our cell towers are kinda distant, otherwise, in winter, I have to go upstairs, & put my head, with phone, up against the window in my alcove, to call anyone. Does come in handy when electric goes out, like during Hurricane Ike probs a few years ago. Just my 5 cents worth. Joan

Comment

Joan, i would put you in the category of Smartphone user...seems not that long ago we all got on fine without a mobile phone, and saved lots of money as well. Now-a-days people feel compelled to have one, me i'm just a sucker to anything related to technology...and i pay the premium for it!
                  Euan..

Comment

Alistair & Euan...you'll have to look around at one of the English/Scottish papers. I read an article today which said that the Android phone was found to be leaking information in regard to people & apps being used, in conjunction with the computers, and/or wi-fi. Something similar to the the "Sony" ? company thing which was closed/shut down for about a month recently. Check out the papers, as I cannot for the life of me remember which one!!! That's why I only need the little cell service I have....Virgin!!! Joan

Comment

I don't make much use of my smart phone as it's only there for emergencies and also to test out our smart phone app for this community. I guess as I work from home it's easier just to use the normal phone.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                      X