Progression of Family Tree DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progression of Family Tree DNA

Hello to everyone who is doing Familytree DNA or is considering doing it.

The data base for Familytree is updated on a regular bases. We have learned from experience, there are private family DNA groups and when your kit matches someone from one of these groups, your kit is moved into the group.

The Private groups are usually from famous people in history. They will have someone in charge of the group who can actually trace their genealogy by paper trails. When your DNA kit matches one of these people, your kit is then moved from the general populous to the private group.

It is up to the individual who has the kit to do their own research to find out how you are related to the person in charge.
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Progression of Family Tree DNA

One thing I have found in comparing DNA data and believe me I have !! When a DNA sample is taken, there is a data field that you decide who the ancestor is that is so far away by many generations is and what country you think they came from. With this scant information, you take the DNA results of your certificate and go to the webpage of the person you want to belong to...

For Example: I want to see if Alastair is my cousin, I find the MacIntyre family charts and compare my numbers to theirs...Oooops...his starts with 13 and belongs to the R Subgroup. His numbers are one away from each of mine, and mine starts with 12, well,,,I decide, I am not related to Alastair so I choose someone else for comparison. Unless you are a thousand percent sure your YDNA is really yours, and you find an exact comparison to someone else, you could remotely be or closely be related.

My brothers DNA should have matched the other Williams on file. It was not even close. I questioned that with the Williams forum administrator. He then kindly assisted me and began to look at others..The BIGGEST shock of my life !! The YDNA reading came back we were not Williams but MacDonald of the Isles, Buie and MacNeil of Barra.. This is when our DNA was placed in the Black Subgroup of MacDonald of Barra, only ours and two others are in the subgroup.

This is only an informative post for others who may be participating.

Lu.

I

Comment

Working...
    X