Searching Hume and found Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Hume and found Home!

I accidently ran across the DNA project for Hogue/Hoge/Hogg when I found some ancestors on my Father's side. I was rather surprised because we were always taught the Hogues were Huguenot. They were not French Huguenot but Scottish! Further investigation of these two families, Hoge and Hume landed me with the Haig's of Bemerlsyde Scotland and the Clan Home!

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/htol/home.html

The Haigs was a suggestion from Stuart after I shared the Gedcom file with him and sure enough! There was the ancestor I was looking for!
    http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/htol/haig.html

The Hoges/Haig
    In addition to other sources of information, we gather from "Foot's Sketches of Virginia," and from a pamphlet entitled "Historical and Genealogical of the Cumberland Valley, Pa.,"by William H. Egle, M. D., M. A., the following particulars in regard to the early history of the Hoge family.

William Hoge, the first representative of this family, distinguished in church and state, came to America in 1682; was the son of James Hoge, of Scotland, who lived in Musselburg, near Glasgow. On board the Caladonia, the vessel that brought him over, there was a family named Hume, consisting of father, mother, and daughter; they were Presbyterians, leaving Scotland to avoid persecution. The Humes were from Paisley, Scotland, and the father was a Knight and a Baron; both father and mother died during the voyage to America, leaving their daughter, Barbara, in charge of young William Hoge, who placed her with her relations, the Johnstons, in the city of New York, whilst he decided to make his home at Perth Amboy, New Jersey, on land owned by a Scotch company, at the head of which was Governor Berkeley, and of which he was a member. Subsequently William Hoge returned to New York, married the girl Barbara Hume, who had been his protege, and from this rather romantic marriage a long line of distinguished men and women have written their names on history's page. After the birth of their first son, John, William and his young wife made their home for some time in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and John, when grown, married Miss ......... Bowen, a Welch woman, and settled about nine miles west of Harrisburg and laid out the little village of Hogestown. From this marriage sprang a long line of descendants who have fitly adorned the history of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and other western states, many of our country's most distinguished men being numbered among them, but the line is too long to trace these descendants, but rather of the father and remainder of the children, all of whom came to Virginia about the time John was establishing the little village of Hogestown.

The children that came with William Hoge to Virginia, in 1735, were as follows: Solomon, James, William, Alexander, George, Zebulon, and Nancy, making their home about three miles from Winchester, in Frederick County. In the old graveyard of old Opequon Church--the deed for that land on which the church stands was made by William Hoge on February 14th, 1745--is buried William Hoge and Barbara, his wife, and many of their descendants. The first Pastor of this church was Rev. John Hoge, grandson of William, and son of John, his eldest son, who had remained in Pennsylvania. Solomon married a Quakeress and was the progenitor of that vast family of Hoges in Loudon and other lower Valley and Piedmont counties. Alexander was a member of the Constitutional Convention of Virginia that adopted the Federal Constitution, and was a member of the first Congress.

James, the third son, of the descendants of whom this narrative will especially treat, and who has been said by one in writing of him, to be a "man eminent for his clear understanding, devout fear of God, and the love of the Gospel of Christ," was married twice; the name of the first wife was Agnes, the second Mary, their maiden names unknown; the records of Frederick County show that he and his wife Agnes join in a deed in 1748, and that he and his wife Mary in a deed in 1758. He and his wives are buried in old Opequon graveyard, he having died June 2nd, 1795. His first wife, Agnes, gave him two sons, John and James, and a daughter, who was the mother of General Robert Evans, founder of Evansville, Indiana, and of Mattie Evans, one of the captives of Abb's Valley. John, the eldest son, becoming dissatisfied with his father's marriage, left home and was never definitely heard from afterward, though he was supposed to have been killed in Braddock's defeat on the Monongahela.

The younger brother, James, left home a few years afterwards to search for his brother John, but after reaching what is now Pulaski County, Virginia, gave up the search, and stopped with a new found friend, Major Joseph Howe, a gentleman of English decent, who had several years previous found a home in the then mountain wilds. After staying with him a short while young James Hoge married his daughter, Elizabeth, in 1763, and they made their home near the father-in-law, and this is the old southwestern Virginia Hoge homestead, now owned by the late Governor James Hoge Tyler, a great-grandson of the founder. James Hoge was born January 12th, 1742, and died April 5th, 1812, seventeen years after the death of his father, and is buried in the old Hoge burying ground. James Hoge and Elizabeth Howe Hoge, his wife, had five sons and six daughters: Joseph, John, Agnes, Martha, General James, and Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, Daniel, and William; of the sons General James was a man of most marked characteristics, and attained very eminent distinction. He was a distinguished officer in the War of 1812; served his county and district in the Senate and House of Delegates several terms; was five times Presidential Elector for his district on the Democratic ticket. He was born July 23rd, 1783, and died July 28th, 1861; is buried by the side of his wife, Eleanor Howe Hoge, in the old Howe burying ground. His wife was his first cousin.

Joseph Hoge, the eldest brother, removed to Tennessee, and left a large number of descendants in that and other states. John and William both lived and died in Pulaski, Virginia, and are numerously represented in that and adjoining counties. Daniel lived and died in Wise County, Virginia; he has descendants in southwest Virginia and some in the South; his sons were James, Stafford and Dr. John H.

To briefly revert to the elder James Hoge, grandfather of General James and son of William Hoge and Barbara Hume, will state that by his second marriage there was several sons and perhaps daughters; the names of three of the sons were, Solomon, Edward and Moses, the latter a distinguished minister, was president of Hampden Sidney College and Professor in Union Theological Seminary. He died in 1820, July 5th; is buried in the church yard of the Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia. He was the grandfather of the eminent Divine, Rev. Moses D. Hoge, of Richmond, Virginia, whose reputation is worldwide, and of the late William J. Hoge, D. D. Their father was Rev. Samuel Davies Hoge, who was brother to Rev. James Hoge, D. D., late of Columbus, Ohio, and Rev. John Blair Hoge, father of Judge John Blair Hoge, of West Virginia.
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Searching Hume and found Home!

I searched for the ship Caledonia. All I could find was that she was taken out of service two years after this incidence, refurbished and name changed..

Comment

Re: Searching Hume and found Home!

Thanks Mom,

What was she renamed to? I can find the company records. Thanks x
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
      X