Many readers refuse to scale The Times' paywall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many readers refuse to scale The Times' paywall

After kicking the idea around for a good while, News Corp International and, by proxy, its subsidiary, the major UK newspaper The Times, has finally enacted a paywall around the Times site, making users register in advance of a planned paid content strategy.

Announced nearly a year ago, the plan gained a bit more momentum in March, when worldwide News Corp leader Rupert Murdoch suggested the changes would come "Within the next few weeks to months."

That's why, beginning in early June a new Times site, thetimes.co.uk, was set up, requiring visitors to register for a 'free preview' of content from the publication. News Corp subsequently redirected all queries to the old site - timesonline.co.uk - to the new URL.

And, its online readership has plummeted.

In the month of May, The Times commanded between 4 and 5 per cent of daily market share on any given day, which dropped, as of Wednesday 23 June, to a lowly 1.81 per cent daily market share.

Re: Many readers refuse to scale The Times' paywall

It's a bit hard to read the paper online when your sitting on the loo...I think there will always be a need for printed newspapers, how many London cabbies have a copy of a newspaper in the cab everyday? Not to mention Lorry drivers, salesmen, and people at work who don't have, or are not permitted to use the internet for personal use?
    Euan..

Comment

Re: Many readers refuse to scale The Times' paywall

I don't have much spare time to read newspapers and don't even have much time to go to newspaper web sites. I do have a wee 13" TV beside my computer and so do watch the news on that. Here in Canada I cycle between CTV, CNN and BBC. I find that CTV and BBC will provide world news but CNN really only cover American news unless it is some massive disaster.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
      X