Thread: St Andrews - What a Hero

247 Mini Golf Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

St Andrews - What a Hero

After Mike Reeder lost both legs in Vietnam, he returned to the U.S. looking for purpose and direction and found them during a chance encounter in a golf pro shop. My thanks to Elizabeth Green for telling me about this video.

Alastair

2. Thanks Rick, 1938 Observer, Hugh, Ranald thanked for this post.
    Like Euan, miolchu liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: St Andrews - What a Hero

I remember watching this video when it was posted, and stumbled upon it again today.It has given me something to think about when i'm on the golf course,as i occasionally lose sight of my ball after hitting it. I only have sight in my left eye, and for years i have had trouble losing sight of things especially if they are fast moving, games like tennis and squash which i would normally enjoy playing were impossible as my opponent would have an advantage. Golf is a game generally played between a player and the course, and a playing partner is doing likewise, however your playing partner will always help look for that lost ball.
    Sometimes, i wonder if i should continue playing golf, or maybe find another game more suited to me, but after watching that video, i will be as keen as ever to get out there on the weekend and play.
    I have only returned to the game within the last twelve months, having played off and on for many years. But now i have become more serious about improving my game as i get older. I currently get tuition from a professional, and i have a goal of being able to play with my nephew who plays off a 12 handicap. Maybe in the not to distant future i will beat him!
    Thanks Al for posting this video...it has allowed me to refocus, and not think about the negative thoughts one has but think about the positives.
    PS. I have never considered myself to have a disability, only a handicap, something all golfers have.
    Euan..

247 Mini Golf Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: St Andrews - What a Hero

In the dim past I used to play a lot of golf and got down to around a 6 handicap. But due to work and moving down to England I just didn't get the chance to play. Many years later I tried again but had to go to a golf range to get my basic swing back. But then I started my own business in Scotland and again just didn't have the time to play so didn't take it up again.

Alastair

Thread Information