Electric Scotland News
    Electric Canadian
    The Flag in the Wind
    Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language
    Scottish Poets in America
    History of the Burgh and Parish Schools of Scotland
    Chronicles of Gretna Green
    Homespun
    Life Jottings of an Old Edinburgh Citizen (New Book)
    Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland
    James Ballantine
    Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland (New Book)
    John Henderson
    Clan Wallace
    Mini Bios
    Robert Burns

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Wishing you all a Very Happy New Year.

A bit late with this newsletter due to not being able to read the screen very well after my eye surgery yesterday. A bit better today but still a stuggle but they do say it usually takes at least 4 days for things to settle down and can be up to 4 weeks.

-----

The Hawick Reivers Festival will be taking place from 23rd to 25th March 2012.

Friday 23rd March
    Scocha in Concert Hawick Town Hall
    8pm Doors open 7.15
    Tickets £12 main hall (table seating) and £10 gallery. Bar available

Saturday 24th March
    Session A9 in Concert - Hawick Town Hall
    8.15pm Doors open 7.45
    Tickets £13 main hall (table seating) and £11 gallery. Bar available
    Making a welcome return to our festival “ Session A9” are Adam Sutherland, Brian Mcalpine, Charlie Mckerron, David “chimp” Robertson, Gordon Gunn, Kevin Henderson and Marc Clement. Over the years Session A9 have been described as a “Scottish super group”, “The best band to have come out of Scotland in 100 years” and an “Amazing Festival band”, great praise indeed for a band formed through informal music sessions up and down the arterial Scottish road, the A9, culminating in their first ever tour in 2001. Since 2003 the band have successfully toured Scotland and England playing at many of the major music festivals in the UK including, Glastonbury, Cambridge folk festival and Celtic Connections. Their European festival sorties include Ortiguera {Spain}, Tonder {Denmark) with additional concerts in Switzerland, Italy and the USA. They last visited Hawick Reivers Festival in 2004.

Sunday 25th March
    Literary High Tea (supported by Hawick Rotary Club)
    Hawick Rugby Club Mansfield Park 4.30pm
    Guest Speaker Alistair Moffat discussing his book “The Scots – A Genetic Journey”
    Tickets £13 including High Tea (advanced booking essesntial)
    Tickets for all above events will be on sale from Sat 14th Jan from Bannerman Burke, High St. Hawick or on line via www.borderevents.com/boxoffice.

Hawick Reivers Festival Fund-raiser Friday 9th March 7.30pm Tower Mill Auditorium (in association with the Hawick Food Group)
    “A cooking experience with Carolyn Oliver plus Good Music”

Well-known local woman and experienced cook Carolyn Oliver will open the evening with a cookery demonstration. After a short interval the young members of Teries in Tartan will present a selection of Traditional music and song – part of the programme for their summer trip to Poznan in Poland.
    Wine and soft drinks will be available for sale within the auditorium. Tickets for this event will be available from Reivers Festival Committee members and from the Visit Scotland Box Office in Tower Mill (01450360688) or online www.thebooth.co.uk

You might want to consider a weeks holiday to Hawick to take in these events. We do have a book about Hawick where you can read about its rich history at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...wick/index.htm

-----

Am trying again to see if I can get some information on Scottish business by contacting the Scottish Family Business Association. It appears they represnt some 47% of all Scottish business so hopefully something might come out of this.

-----

When it comes to pdf files I want to note that I have issues myself trying to download these to read when simply clicking on the link to the pdf file. I have issues with both Google Chrome and IE 9. I have however found that in all cases if I right click on the link and then slect "save target as" or it's equivelant that I can always download the file to my computer without any problem. And so this is just to alert you to this in case you also are having problems in downloading the file.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm

Electric Canadian
    -----------------
    http://www.electriccanadian.com

Makers of Canada
    Lord Sydenham by Adam Shortt (1909).
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/make...nham/index.htm

THE present volume, with the exception of the portion dealing with the earlier years of Lord Sydenham's life, is based entirely upon first-hand materials, many of which are still in manuscript in the Canadian Archives. The facts for the earlier portion of Lord Sydenham's career have been taken mainly from the memoir of his life, drawn from family papers compiled by his brother G. Poulett Scrope, and published in 1843. The same volume contains a narrative of Lord Sydenham's administration in Canada, prepared by his civil secretary, Mr. W. T. C. Murdoch, and includes several important private letters to members of his family and to other friends, particularly Lord John Russell. From contemporary newspapers and other periodicals and pamphlets, British and Canadian, has been derived much important information, as also from the British and Canadian blue books of the period. The most important sources, however, as revealing the inner policy of the colonial office and of the Canadian governor, are found in the private and confidential despatches between the colonial secretary, Lord John Russell, and Lord Sydenham, as also in the correspondence with various parties in Canada contained in the letter-books of the Governor and the civil secretary. The manuscript volumes containing these papers have been lately transferred from the office of the governor-general to the Canadian Archives, and are now included in the G Series of the Archives collections.

Owing to the nature of the series in which this volume appears, special references to authorities are not given in foot-notes, but, wherever possible, the most important statements are given in the words of the original documents.

In treating the life of Lord Sydenham as one of the "Makers of Canada" only those events have been dealt with which had a more or less direct bearing upon his training for the important duties which awaited him in Canada, or which were connected with his many-sided activities as governor-general of British North America.

Ottawa, October 19th, 1908.

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks Flag was compiled by Jim Lynch and he's back to his wide spread of articles.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language
    ----------------------------------------------
    We've added more to this disctionary...

Scottish Language Letter H

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eson/index.htm

Scottish Poets in America
    -------------------------
    With Biographical and Critical Notices by John D, Ross (1889)

Now added...

MacColl, Evan

I should add here that we've decided to start making these entries in pdf format instead of scans of page images as that way the content can be indexed for searching.

These are all pretty amazing people and make a most interesting read.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...rica/index.htm

History of the Burgh and Parish Schools of Scotland
    ---------------------------------------------------
    By James Grant M.A. (1876).

Added this week...

Part II - Schools after the Reformation

Chapter XIV - Salaries, Fees and Emoluments

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/educ...urgh/index.htm

Chronicles of Gretna Green
    --------------------------
    By Peter Orlando Hutchinson (1844)

We've now completed the first volume and have made a start on the second volume and the first chapter starts...

What a pity it is that the exquisite romance of running away with a lady, and marrying her clandestinely, should ever be tarnished by subsequent matrimonial squabbles. Alack and well-a-day ! surely it must be a most humiliating consideration, for people to find themselves launching cutting speeches at each other, when the remembrance of the caresses, the rapture, the triumph, that swelled in their bosoms at the successful moment of escape to Gretna is still fresh in their minds, if they only dare to recall it. We say dare to recall it: and it is certain that it must require some courage to venture to look back upon these thrilling moments at such a time as we mention, —that is, when the novelty of wedded life has in some sort passed away,—when the person whom we had always yearned for, and sighed for, and had looked upon as an angel moving upon earth, is, indeed, no more than a human being, possessed of weaknesses, frailties, and imperfections, not to say vices;—at such time, when these failings have increased so far as to create not only indifference but absolute loathing; and when this loathing has broken out into bickerings, contradictions, and wrangling; then, we say, it will require some courage to look back with the mind's eye upon the sweet congratulations of having achieved a midnight elopement unprevented, unstopped, unarrested.

And why should it require such courage to reflect upon bliss that is gone?

It has been said that there is no grief so great as the recollection of past happiness when in the days of misery. This may be a great grief, certainly; but we were talking of humiliation. Grief may be proud, stern, savage, unbending; but humiliation can scarcely be either of these. Humiliation makes the feeler of it small, degraded, stricken down, abashed ; but why should such a remembrance produce such an effect? Why, for this reason: that it lets-us know that our judgment was erroneous; that we were incapable of making a wise selection, or that the person we selected managed to outwit us in dissimulation ; that we certainly made a shallow and foolish choice; and then the inference is, that he who makes a foolish choice must, per consequence, be a fool, and that is not flattering to our vanity in fine, it makes us out of humour with ourselves, and that is more galling than being out of humour with all the world besides; and when we are out of humour with ourselves we grow sour and peevish, and soon vent that ill humour upon the nearest object to us, and the unhappy one that is so closely allied to the origin of these disquiets.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...chapter201.htm

You can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...etna/index.htm

Homespun
    --------
    A Study of a Simple Folk by Annie S. Swan (1894)

This week have added...

Chapter XI. Erskine Nicoll's Trials
    Chapter XII. Young Ambition
    Chapter XIII. Bruce Understands
    Chapter XIV. Sorrow in Strathairn

I confess to enjoying this book as the way it is written gives me interesting word pictures in my mind as I read a story. Hope you are enjoying this as I am myself.

These chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...spun/index.htm

Life Jottings of an Old Edinburgh Citizen
    -----------------------------------------
    By Sir J. H. A. MacDonald P.C., K.C.B., Lord Justice-Clerk.

We now have up...

Chapter Six
    The Disruption—Procession to Tanfield—Injustices to children—Inconsistencies of their elders

Chapter Seven
    Edinburgh in the Forties—Abominations of the Mound—The discreditable buildings—Earlier proposals to build on Mound, and on south side of Princes Street, and on North Bridge- -The Nor" Loch—Lord Cockburn's description—Turnips growing below Castle—Railway carried along the valley—Valley destroyed- -Bank of Scotland—Cockburn Street—Advertisement scandal—George Street—Extension ol town—Country houses swept away

Chapter Eight
    Distinguished citizens -Wilson—Jeffrey -Blackwoods—C'ockburn—Principal Lee—Sir David Brewster—Bain—Gregory—Abercrombv—Davidson —Watson Gordon

Chapter Nine
    The Parliament House- -The Law Courts—The judges—My first attendance at a criminal trial—Terribly severe sentences—Many illiterate prisoners- Lord Justice-General Macneill—Ex-Lord Justice-General Hope, a distinguished Volunteer—Baron Hume a Volunteer—Cockburn''s strictures or their serving—Inferior Court rooms--Dining customs in the Forties—Parental inconsistencies

In Chapter VI we learn...

WHEN I was little more than six years old, an event occurred which made a great difference to Scotland in many ways. The significance. of it could not come home to me then, but what I saw can never be forgotten. It was the Disruption of the Church of Scotland. In the forenoon I had seen the Lord High Commissioner's procession, and on the same day was taken along George Street to the front of St. Andrew's Church, where those who conducted me gazed up in silence —as did a crowd of others—at the gallery windows. I saw nothing but a number of bald and other heads, and wondered what was making those on the street gaze so intently. It was not my idea of a show.

TThat afternoon I was playing with companions at home, and we were doing some children's acting, for which my cheeks were painted a strong red. Suddenly we heard a noise, and saw from the window people rushing along towards the street corner, and seeming an excitement we followed them, running as hard as our little legs could carry us. On looking up the steep street leading to George Street, we saw a long line of black moving down the hill, which as it came near proved to be the seceders who had left St. Andrew's Church to proceed down to Tanfield, there to meet in a large hall. The Moderator led them, and they came on, on, on, several hundreds. It was to me a mere sight to behold, knowing nothing of its meaning; but I seem now to see before me the four-deep marchers, all 'n black, with white neckcloths and tall hats, and faces set and solemn. They looked absorbed, as seeing nothing of their surroundings, moving as in deep thought.

My ludicrous appearance in my fancy cap and with my painted cheeks passed unnoticed, although I was in the very front row of the lookers-on. My elder brother found me there, and whipping off the paper cap 1 wore, applied his handkerchief and mine to remove the clown look from my face, while still the, to me, apparently endless succession of black figures passed on. Of course it is little that I can say except to describe what I saw, but a child is quick to observe when there is passion in faces— their elders generally accustom them to that.

I saw nothing of passion> rather the feeling was of sober determination of men who had made up their minds, and in whom excitement had passed away and purpose was dominant. My recollection as to what passed before me, and of the impression formed, was a complete accord with what I learned to know when I grew up, of the sacrifice these men were facing when they marched to Tanfield, giving up their homes and their living, saciificiag for the time their prospects in life. I say nothing as to the times of the matter, of which I could have no opinion then: but it certainly was impressive to see that crowd of men, who were not deterred by dread of sacrifice from giving effect to opinions conscientiously formed and strongly held. One can imagine what a trial it was— what a sacrifice bravely shared by many a wife and child, upholding the fathers in suffering ' 'the loss of all things, so far as this world was concerned. What uncertainty there must have been as to the future, not only to those who departed, but also to those who remained! Would the great rent prove disastrous, or would both the seceders and those whom they left be able to survive and put on strength so as to present a working and efficient organisation? What fireside discussions must there have been, what hand-wriging, what uplifting of hands, what heart-searching, what demands upon the spirit of charity! Probably all who walked in that procession to Tinfield, and all who remained in St. Andrew's Church as an attenuated General Assembly, have passed away.

It's at least a matter for thankfulness that now, seventy years later, the bitterness of that day has exhausted itself, and that whether a real reunification is in the future or not, there is a spirit of reconciliation which enables the descendants and successors of those who took part in the long past events to meet in friendly conference. It is a maxim not to be denied that schism, from whatever cause, is an evil, which all must confess, cultivating in their hearts the desire that a way may be found to get nearer to the "good and pleasant thing, by the healing of the schisms of the Churches. But whatever may be said, the events of 1843 made it certain that the. Scotsman who is looked upon as one eager and determined to acquire and hold fast—as indeed he is—is yet capable, if his conscience tells him there is a call for it, of giving up his all a sour soldier at the Alma said—"if needs be."

You an read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter06.htm

I might add that in the old days they sure used long sentances and paragraphs. The above is actually one long paragraph but have divided it up here to make it easier to read.

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ings/index.htm

James Ballantine
    ----------------
    This week we've concluded his "Poems" and have continued to add to his collection from "Gaberlunzies Wallet" which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...nine/index.htm

Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland
    ------------------------------------------
    By Joseph Bain

Our thanks to John Henderson for compiling this for us.

"Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland Preserved In Her Majesty's Public Record Office, London" Volumes One to Four [1881 To 1888] by Joseph Bain F.S.A Scotland.

and

"Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland Preserved In The Public Record Office and British Library" Volume Five (Supplementary) [1964 To 1970] by Grant G. Simpson M.A., Ph.D. and James D. Galbraith M.A., MLitt.

The intention in this section of ES is to enable students of the history of England and Scotland from c. 1272 to 1603 to cross-reference between a very detailed 1970 supplementary volume by Grant G. Simpson/James D. Galbraith and the three available 1880s volumes by Joseph Bain. In essence, the supplementary volume details Joseph Bain's main errors of omission and commission.

N.B. ** Unfortunately, meantime, only Volumes Two/Three/Four and Five (Supplementary) have been found in electronic .pdf format. **

As Volumes Two/Three/Four/Five (Supplementary) are lengthy .pdfs, and thus 'heavy' in megabytes, they will be split into more convenient megabyte sizes to facilitate comparative study.

END.

There are many references to this publication throughout the site within many of the books we've added over the years. While this is a monumental work there were found to be many ommissions and some incorrect assumptions and so the supplemtary volume was a valiant attempt at trying to correct some of this information. The work itself is still very much an excellent resource for historians but with this additional volume it now offers a more accurate and comlete set of information for research.

As these volumes are very large we've decided to split them up for easier download and to date we've completed Volume 5 and have now also added Volume 2 with volumes 3 and 4 still to come.

We've also added a brief biography of Joseph Bain and also have ocr'd the Preface and Introduction from the 5th volume so you can better understand what this work is all about.

You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bain/index.htm

John Henderson
    --------------
    John sent in a new poem suitable for the New Year which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerel422.htm

Clan Wallace
    ------------
    Got in the Winter 2012 newsletter which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...Winter2012.pdf

Mini Bios
    ---------
    It's been a while since I mentioned out Mini Bious section. Today I got in some information on an Archibal Brown which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc..._archibald.htm

However this reminded me that this can be an excellent resource to tell people about your Scottish ancestors and as long as we can add your email address to the entry perhaps make it possible for people to get in touch with you if they think there may have a connection with your family tree.

The index page for this section can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...bios/index.htm

And finally...

As January is usually a very busy month for Electric Scotland due to having Robert Burns suppers this month I thought I'd help get you prepared for attending such an event in your area.

Our main section is at http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/index.html

Howeve, within this section of our site there are lots of resources to help you understand how a Burns Supper works. We have a somplete audio recording of a typical Burns Supper in Real Audio format. The specific link to this file is at http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/burns/burns.rm and as I say you might want to right click on this link to download it to your computer.

Lots more to read along with a complete collection of his poems. So do study the section and make sure you book a seat at your local Burns Supper wherever you are in the world.

And as this is the first newsletter for 2012 a Happy New Year to you all and have a great weekend.

Alastair
Working...
X