This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

This forum is for discussions about the First Nations tribes and peole in North America. I am aware the First Nations in Canada have a very good organisation that is pressing for change. You can view there web site at http://www.afn.ca/index.php/en

It seems to me that we all try to retain our own heritage and thus the First Nations people should also. We are all likely aware of broken treaties through many years with First Nations people and so in here I hope we will explore some of this.,

On the other hand First Nations people have also been accussed of blocking development of important project for our countries as a whole.

There is no doubt lessons to be learned on both sides of the debate. And so here I hope this will become a place we'll learn more about the First Nations and the prolems and opportunities of working better with each other.

Alastair

Re: Introduction

The Assembly of First Nations is the national organization representing Indians on Indian reserves (sometimes referred to as First Nations). The AFN doesn't speak for Inuit, Metis, or non-status Indians who are also "aboriginal peoples of Canada". However, most of the pressing issues do pertain to Indians, so the AFN's importance is tremendous at the national level. It's current effectiveness is solely due to the efforts of the National Chief, Shawn Atleo (A-in-chut) but his progressive approach is under attack from an "old guard" that promotes confrontation and increased dependence. AFN elections will be held next summer and in my opinion, its future as an agent of meaningful change will depend very much on whether Chief Atleo is re-elected.

Comment

Working...
    X