Slater's Royal Directory of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slater's Royal Directory of Scotland

I have added this 2 volume set for 1911 which lists all the businesses and private residences in Scotland. I would guess this would make a great genealogy resource. Both these volumes are in pdf format and are over 100Mb is size each. I suspect you'd be best right clicking on the link and then select to save it to your computer.

You can get to these at the foot of our Scottish Records page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ords/index.htm

Alastair

Re: Slater's Royal Directory of Scotland

Alastair

I have tried to download both files, and each time received an error messages.

I also tried to open the file, and again received an error message.

I attach copies of the error messages.

Ranald
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ranald; 22 June 2012, 06:18. Reason: added a word

Comment

The downloads both seemed to "hang" for me. One was supposed to take 17 mins and the other said 1 hour. I cancelled and tried to view but is was "hanging" as well. BIG files is suspect.
      Sandy

Comment

It does seem we have a problem with very large files and these are around 150Mb in size. I've asked Steve to get both files for me and to stick them up on the server. So hopefully he'll do that for me tonight and so tomorrow they should work fine.

I will say up to now when uploading these large files they end up showing as 0 byte files so I know I have a problem. However both of these files showed the accurate byte count so I thought they were ok.

Comment

Just to say we've replaced the files and I was able to download both and open them up ok.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair and Steve, many thanks for work, which permitted d/l of the files.

For what it is worth.. the 'County' one took 32 minutes and the Residents one 21 minutes. Not bad for the file sizes.

Sad to say, well so far, I have not found any paternal or maternal links !! lol

Thanks again

Ranald

Comment

Ranald, your times are similar to what I experienced.
              I was a bit disappointed to find that there are very few "Glasgow" entries - in the 2nd file the whole Glasgow directory appears to be missing.
              References in the first file (Anderston - see Glasgow section) again so far have not produced any results for the areas.
              I did find a reference to one of my G-grandfathers on the Isle of Eigg, but I am really trying to find info on my grandfather, who I know was in the Glasgow area in 1911.

Still these are very useful documents.
              Sandy

Comment

Looks like I missed a volume and have now located it. I've asked Steve to download it for me and when it's up will put a link to it... hopefully later today.

Alastair

Comment

So that's where Glasgow has been~~~

Comment

Got the Glasgow directory.

Alastair

Comment

Thanks for that Alastair.

The 794 pages is smaller than the others, and took just 12 minutes to d/l.

Sorry to say I did not find anything to connect with family, but then we only went to the Glasgow area in the early 1920's

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                      X