Watching BBC programs from outside the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching BBC programs from outside the UK

Left a message with you. I believe you were looking to watch programs on BBC UK with the iPlayer.

What you need is DNSJumper from http://www.sordum.net/dns_jumper/downloads.php to temporarily change your DNS addresses to fool them into thinking you are from there.

Extract and Run DNSJumper. Click on the Blue i beside the English dropdown. Do an “Update Check” and install it. “Choose a free DNS Service” which would be “Tunlr DNS”. It might be number 2. or another. “Apply DNS”. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv or whichever you have a link for. I don’t think it works for most live programs though. When you are done do the “Choose a free DNS Service” and select “- Default” and “Apply Dns”.

Basically http://tunlr.net offers you to use their DNS servers for free to watch programs from other countries not normally available to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dng.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	23952

And so I provide this information to you should it be of interest.

Alastair

Re: Watching BBC programs from outside the UK

Hi Al,
    I thought I had posted something on this quite a while ago.
    I have not tried the site you suggest but I have been using ExpatShield for over 2 years now, when I am in Canada.
    It does not work on MAC's but seems to be OK on Windows XP and 7.
    If you expand to the "Full screen" it gets rid of all the advertising (they do have to get their money from somewhere). Occasionally it also seems to launch another window but I just close that.

Sandy

Comment

It's actually quite rare that I want to watch something on the BBC and not allowed to watch it. Usually the news items are viewable and that's mostly what I watch.

Alastair

Comment

The iPlayer also lets you go to the ITV stations.
        The Boss makes a lot of use of the setup when she is in Oakville to keep up to date with the "Soaps".

Sandy

Comment

Basically, just for the "education" of other US users, I tried to download the DNS Changer as above. I went through Cnet, as have used them for years. However, it installed an "installer", & it looked "fishy", & then tried once again to download DNS Changer from its own web site. Same thing happened, with the result that my Internet Explorer froze so much that I couldn't do anything. Had to call my computer geeks, & took the modem over & dropped it off. Long story short, it didn't totally crash, but jammed the IE. She fixed that, & I picked the modem up today. Didn't cost quite as much as thought initially, but it was $50. I just looked up the ExPatShield on Cnet, & it sounded like the other, based on the reviews. I am happy with what I have for right now. So, Sancy C, it's absolutely true that these pgms aren't good for IE. Thanks. Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,
            not sure what your problems have been but we have been using ExpatShield in Canada for about 3 years now.
            The laptop I leave in Canada runs IE 7 and we have no problems. I also use it under Google Chrome on the machine I take with me on my 'travels' with no problems.

Sandy

Comment

Hey to Sandy C & Alastair as well...

Guess what? Yesterday, via my normal "meanderings" on the computer, I found, once again, that I could get the BBC news sites....even BBCnews Scotland. I read so many articles on all of them, that I could not believe. Suddenly, I was able to enter their email addresses, & get something!!! Even downloaded a few pod casts.

I had first found that I could get RSS feeds from BBC, then picked that up on Google Reader, that I use more often. However, found that BBC news was putting in too many feed updates...like about 25-40 or so. Didn't like that, so that's when I changed over to their email addresses, and it was great. Thanks for all your helpful hints on here, anyway. Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,
                glad to see that you are able to view the BBC.
                I recommended the site that I use to some friends in Canada and they have been using it to use iPlayer in "live" mode to watch all the Olympics 'as they happen'.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X