• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bannockburn 2014 - Homecoming Scotland

HOT OFF THE PRESS TODAY - NEW DATES FOR Clans at BANNOCKBURN 2014

Press Release – October 11th 2012
    CLANS TO JOIN BANNOCKBURN WEEKEND 2014

Scotland’s clan chiefs and clans are to come together in 2014 to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn with a re-enactment weekend near Stirling organised by the National Trust for Scotland. A clan village will be set up and the town will be bright with tartan as Scotland marks the anniversary of the battle and remembers the fallen.

The Convenor of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs, Sir Malcolm MacGregor of MacGregor said: ‘We are delighted to be included in what will be a momentous event for Scotland. Bannockburn is a key event for us because it happened at the dawn of the Scottish clan system. We hope that thousands of Scots, both here and overseas, will now get behind the weekend and return to their roots to help us remember what was a pivotal period of our history.’

The event has been planned for the last weekend in June to allow the clans to be part of this major re-enactment which will also be open for the public to come along and experience this momentous event in Scottish history. There are more than 150 clan chiefs and hundreds of clan societies across the world. Interest is expected to be highest in North America, where there are some thirty million people with Scots’ ancestry.

Sir Malcolm MacGregor continued - ‘I – and nine other chiefs – will be at a clan conference in Atlanta, Georgia, on 19th October telling people about the 2014 re-enactment at Bannockburn and other regional events. The battle is a key part of Scottish history and the American clan leaders are keen to support us. We have been in discussions with the National Trust about the event. Their record on producing historical re-enactments is second to none. We are honoured to have the chance to work with them.’
    Tom Chambers, Director of Homecoming 2014 said.... ‘It makes sense to have the Clans closely involved with the Re-enactment and this is promising to be a great event. As part of the Homecoming 2014 programme, we are also looking at other ways we might be able to support clan events outside of Stirling, so that we reach clan homelands in every part of Scotland.’

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT FRANK WHERRETT, SECRETARY OF THE STANDING COUNCIL OF SCOTTISH CHIEFS – ON: frank.wherrett1@talktalk.net

Re: Bannockburn 2014 - Homecoming Scotland

I HATE this sort of thing. All tartan and trews, just to make some money. I AM a proud member of a clan. I do know how important this was for Scotland. But it all just seems to me to be a way of generating support and income for the SNP and their "tartan agenda".
    We Did beat the heck out of an totalitarian ruler. I shall not be part of helping King Alex become more than what he is.
    As noted above the "clan" system did not really seem to exist at that time. Bruce was of Norman descent (I have Bruce heritage_). It DID help to make us who we are today but "history is history"...

Sandy

Comment

I think most of this is a genealogy issue. I mean most clan chiefs ditched their people in favour of sheep so why would you want to associate with current chiefs where their ancestors got rid of the people to fund their own greed? I think there were very few clan chiefs that tried to do right by their people.

Actually I should probably take that on as a project to list the clan chiefs that tried to help their people rather than kick them out.

Alastair

Comment

This Homecoming Event has been quashed by VisitScotland but I believe some are going to try to keep it planned.

I wanted to plan an event for the Sibbald, Leslie, Lundy and Balfour families during the Homecoming Year, but what the hey, Balgonie Castle is here for these families at any time.

Now to Allie's post, Hooray for your opinion. You have a very good point-just look at myself, maternal male DNA and paternal DNA, all highlanders but not able to prove the names because they were changed...due to being kicked out, banished, servitude, or whatever the case maybe. One advantage, at least I know Where my ancestors originated from!

Sandy!!!! I am so glad I am not the ONLY person who sees the man for what he thinks he will be one day!
        Last edited by Kelly d; 21 November 2012, 17:28. Reason: to add a comment
        kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
        X